California’s giant new batteries kept the lights on in a heat wave

Hillhater said:
PaPaSteve said:
Actually ... in my polite subtle way, the provided links are to suggest putting some focus on problems in your home town rather then trying to solve problems half a world away.
Have no concern, I am more than a little aware of the issues Australia has created for itself , as well as the UK and Germany in particular,… and the future situation likely to result.

PaPaSteve said:
…..I have no dogs in this fight because, fortunately, in our small part of the world our ample power supply comes from 98% hydro.

….but,..ironic comment from someone who doesnt appear to know where his own states power comes from. !
..FYI, Oregon power seems to use less than 40% hydro, with gas and a significant amount of coal in the game also when you include imported electricity :shock:
…however, you are “fortunate” in that you have very little dependency on Wind or Solar :bigthumb:
But what will Oregon do if coal and gas become fossil paharia’s ?
https://www.oregon.gov/energy/energy-oregon/pages/electricity-mix-in-oregon.aspx

Perhaps I should add a little more clarity about our small part of the world.
Power in this corner of the state of Oregon comes from a small Co-Op power company.
Coos Curry Co-Op only supplies power to two rural, sparsely populated, southern coastal counties.
98% of the power they furnish comes from Bonneville Dam on the Columbia river.
The distance to the generator is the concerning part.
The generation happens on the far north of the state and we are at the far south.

That sounds to be the same as my city, which owns its own electric distribution grid. The bulk of its power source is also mostly hydro with a good chunk of geothermal thrown in. We are at the mercy of PG&E for the use of their transmission lines though...

On a side note, our rate per kWh is less than half of what PG&E charges folks living just out of our service area.

Back