• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Can Am Commander Electric Battery upgrade Help

BKJudgement

1 µW
I have a 2013 Commander Electric and I am upgrading to Lithium Phosphate (Lifepo4) 48v 200AH) (ten 48v 20AH lifepo4 Batteries) I have experience in DC Motors and Battery Technology. Not so much in AC besides converters/inverters. I just want to have as much as possible figured out before I get into it.

*) I would like to hook up regen braking and solar panels to charge lifepo4 batteries while in use. I have considered leaving two lead acid batteries. The one in the nose and the one under the front of the center console to receive the charge from the regen braking and solar. I like the weight there and that area has the most chance for water so i probably was not going to use the battery space int the nose anyways. Then connect the lead acid to a 3000w 12v to 110vac inverter (bought separately) to charge the lithium Phosphates while in use. (all lifepo4 batteries will be in marine waterproof battery boxes)

The questions I have is
1) Does anyone know the model and specs on the on-board DC to AC inverter. (input voltage range, output voltage)

2) Are the 12v batteries currently all in parallel outputting 12v 230ah or four and four wired in series then connected in parallel outputting 48v 115ah?

3) Regen Braking How to identify the leads? Output range? The BMS (Battery Management System) on the Lifepo4 can handle a charge while battery is being used. (needs 54.6v charging voltage) (separate lead for charging through BMS) ( I know I can adjust to the appropriate amperage outputted from Regen with the Sevcon 4 gen controller to charge batteries but if they were already within limits for the lifepo4 batteries that would be great) I already wired in the clear view display and increased the allowed top speed to 32 mph and will probably increase again once i install the new batteries. I should be able to adjust the Regen with the clearview as well but not sure what it is labeled and don't want to mess with that until i am sure. If anyone knows feel free to chime in! lol

4) Is regen enabled in both low and high speed or is it just enabled in low speed?

5) What are your recommendations and which route would you go? I appreciate any feedback and will accredit your help with my final outcome.

Back