Can You identify who makes this bike?

PeteB

10 W
Hello E-Shere,

I am picking this bike up for 50.00 this evening locally and am looking to see if anybody has any info on it.The seller knows nothing about it other than it works and it's 36 volts..
ebike.jpg

A pirate walks into a bar with a ship's steering wheel stuck to the front of his pants. The bartender asks, "Hey, doesn't that hurt?" The pirate growls, "Aye, it's drivin' me nuts." :mrgreen:

Not seen that sort before
At first I thought UK import from China of a unbranded Chinese bike. , by a UK company known as Thompson . But then I see you are in Florids.

Give us a couple of shots of close up of motor, both sides, so we can try and ID the motor. See if it is brushed or Brushless, geared or Direct Drive.

The rear stand does look very much like the 'Thompson' bikes.
Guessing rear drum brake? If so, rear thread for drum brake is same size as spin on disk brake
And wheel size .

What are your intentions? Use as is, or strip bro parts and use motor onyour own frame, or modify with better controller and more volts.

http://www.thompsons-online.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=77&zenid=smu0eks7rreltn29j1kuulagg0

IMG_0003.JPGHere is the top of the head light..That SX logo is the same as I have seen on Bass guitars..

IMG_0001.JPG

Here is the motor

IMG_0002.JPG

It is a 36 volt sla with new batteries..I beat it up for an hour with the headllight on last night and one of the four battery meter lights went off so the batteries are holding a charge well.and nothing got hot.

My wife went to pick it up on her way home from work last night and she ended up some how getting it for $20.00..

I am going to beat the snot out of it for a couple weeks..The good part of this ugly thing is it wont get stolen..My daughter has a Huffy cruiser she likes (I know Huffy, but she likes it)It's a single speed and I plan on buying a 26" wheel and lacing this motor to it.Buy a cheap 40 amp controller and another 12 volt sla battery for a total of 48 volts until I build 2 48 volt HK packs for my bike than I can split the packs when she wants to ride it.

Nice find for 50 bux! is it a brushed motor? with an old drum brake, I had a 36v brushed Aetoma motor back in the day that thing had tons of torque at only 22amps

skeetab5780 said:
Nice find for 50 bux! is it a brushed motor? with an old drum brake, I had a 36v brushed Aetoma motor back in the day that thing had tons of torque at only 22amps

Thank's, it does require a little pedal to get going as it is...I ended up getting it for 20.00

I reckon it is one of these. it is almost certainly a BLDC motor...see my earlier link to Thompson e-bikes.

I have 5 or 6 of these motors
Stator is probably :
5.25 inch diameter
2 inch wide
48 ' teeth ' on the stator
Rotor 16 magnets..so 8 pole pair
Star wound
slow winding..in the standad 22 inch wheel only does about 30 mph at 84 volt..but very torquey.
re terminated to delta gives it better speeds. 50 volt now give over 30 mph in 18 inch wheel

See the following links

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=44733#p692984

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25399&hilit=this+bike+for+thompson

A selection of other 'designs' from same stable

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=47031&

I laced one in to a 16 inch wheel, machined some blocks and stuck it on a kick scooter

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=39798

Weird lacing of the 36 hole hub in to a 28 hole rim

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=39652&

[youtube]jqcBPOJGQz8[/youtube]

file.php

file.php

file.php

Hold fire on lacing it to a 26 inch wheel though..I am just about to do two and stick them in the owners MTB's

Thompson4.jpg

Thompson3.jpg

Thompson1.jpg

Thompson2.jpg

NeilP said:
I reckon it is one of these. it is almost certainly a BLDC motor...

that makes it an even better steal, nice going Pete!

You can simply hook up a new 36 volt battery pack and most likely the bike will work fine. The battery is the most important (and expensive) part of any ebike.

but why would you ...as pete says it is an ugly thing...so chop it ASAP...the batteries it has are good anyway...but it is going to be extremely slow if my experience with these little un branded motors is anything to go by.

Keep it as is for now...the controller is gutless too...no harm in maybe soldering up the shunt. From memory the controllers on these bikes (if not the electronic dashboard) are good for just under 50volts..They seem to have a 51 volt HVC cut out.

Thrash it as much as possible then rebuidl the motor on to a bigger wheel, up volts to 80 or so with a Lyen mini monster / Keywin 4110 controller.

I've fixed several of these here in Australia. Mostly brushed.Some BLDC.

Is there two larger wires or three exiting the motor axle at the rear (inside the sleeving)?

ya at second glance you can notice those aren't the same motors. Petes motor side covers are shaped different and they have more screws holding them on.

I agree there are slight differences, but no more than I have seen on ones I have. I looked at screw holes and thought they looked the same.
Plus other parts look identical too, stand, frame , rack. Plastic mouldings different

skeetab5780 said:
NeilP said:
I reckon it is one of these. it is almost certainly a BLDC motor...

that makes it an even better steal, nice going Pete!

Thanks Scott :)

Samd said:
I've fixed several of these here in Australia. Mostly brushed.Some BLDC.

Is there two larger wires or three exiting the motor axle at the rear (inside the sleeving)?

I have not cut the wire sleeve but it is tight and appears to have 2 wires.

NeilP said:
but why would you ...as pete says it is an ugly thing...so chop it ASAP...the batteries it has are good anyway...but it is going to be extremely slow if my experience with these little un branded motors is anything to go by.

Keep it as is for now...the controller is gutless too...no harm in maybe soldering up the shunt. From memory the controllers on these bikes (if not the electronic dashboard) are good for just under 50volts..They seem to have a 51 volt HVC cut out.

Thrash it as much as possible then rebuidl the motor on to a bigger wheel, up volts to 80 or so with a Lyen mini monster / Keywin 4110 controller.

NEIL...YOU ARE A MAD MAN!... Great job collecting those.And crazy awesome scooter... I have been riding this around the niegborhood and I can tell you one thing is for sure ..I can't wait to get my 5304 Townie completed..

I have never ridden an e bike I have never even seen one before. Last week I purchased a 18 4110 from Ed Lyen for my townie.It will be a couple weeks before i can buy a Lyen mini monster if he still has one..I see he has one left now.

This little motor is defiantly capable.It would be great to get it to 25 mph with 48volts and a better controller.Should be perfect for my daughter.On the cheap..

I do have a problem with it though..although it pulls fine and runs good.It has developed a shutter..It comes and goes..When it does happen and I let off the throttle it goes away..Hmmm..

Back