Catalyst Components R1

Rollodo

1 kW
This is Catalyst Components R1 (CC R1) ebike.

Source: the company is Catalyst Components, model R1.

Ordering/Shipping: shipped via FedEx Ground, shipped out Friday, received Tuesday. The package comes in 3 separate boxes - 2 for both wheels and 3rd for the frame. All contents are well protected while being shipped. The CA, fork bearings and front brake were already attached on my frame.

Communication with the seller was ok, responses took on average several hours via email.

Background: this is my 2nd ebike. 1st was the Paratrooper Pro with A123 48V 20Ah battery pouch in the rear, not a very comfortable ride due to the center of gravity being shifted towards the rear.

CC R1: This time, there are no batteries that you can see - they're inside the tubes. A very neat concept for a cool stealthy ride. Plus, the weight is more centered (at least I think it is, I haven't disassembled anything). The rear rack gets bolted onto the seat tube and is strong enough to withstand the weight of the entire bike itself.

Bike specs: 6061 aluminum, weight = 60lbs, Large frame, Avid BB7's, RockShox XC 32, Cane Creek headset, Thun BB torque sensor, Bontrager rear rack.

Electric: 48V 18.9Ah worth of 18650's, Smart Pie motor, Cycle Analyst 3.

Charge takes a couple of hours (haven't depleted it below 50% yet); all you do is plug the supplied charger Andersons plugs into the battery plugs, that's it. At first I thought that I'd need to unscrew one of the tubes - not necessary.

Calculation variables: the weight of the entire setup is about 280 lbs (220 of me + 60 of the bike), thick Hookworm tires pumped to 60 psi, pedal-assisted engaged. Needless to say, your mileage will vary.

I've now had the bike for roughly a month. The to-date impressions are very positive - the bike holds well (I'm roughly 6 feet tall, 220 lbs), brakes work great, motor kicks in when it should. I tested the throttle, which works fine, and decided to detach it completely, after realizing that I only ride the bike in the 'assist' mode - it's so much fun, and a great exercise. Haven't measured the speed, but it's fast enough to be noticed and get eyebrows from drivers. Hills - you bet, effortless (this is very objective), especially with pedal-assist, which is the only way I use it (took off the throttle).

Range - one of my 5-mile trips was based on a fully charged battery, and, according to CA, it only consumed 4.069 Ah by the time I got home. Pack is 19 Ah. So the range would be roughly 23-24 miles.

Issues: there were a couple I came across:

1st was the rear brake mount. I couldn't mount the rear brake on the first try, but upon looking closely at a photo with it attached, I mounted it with no problems.

2nd issue was the headset adjustment, as no matter how many videos I watched, for the life of me I just couldn't get the headset tight enough not to wobble. I ended up going to a local bike shop and have it done. They said it was missing a spacer.

3rd. In the first few rides there was a major problem with the CA constantly disconnecting and reconnecting - I thought it had to do with the seat tube touching the wires underneath it. Turned out there was a little push that the battery's black Anderson lead needed before every ride, I'll probably reattach mine own at some point.

About a month into the bike, it still holds up strong and is fun to ride. It's a very solid machine. Definitely gets points for stealth and a great commuter potential.

Attachments

• DSC04808 (800x600).jpg
    DSC04808 (800x600).jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 1,323
  • DSC04812 (800x600).jpg
    DSC04812 (800x600).jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 1,323
Something I realized later, but I just took a few measurements of my two bikes (Paratrooper Pro and R1) and got a clearer idea why my wrists have been hurting on the R1 more so than on PP - it's longer by 8 inches! The longer the bike, the more are the chances of the rider leaning on the handlebars. Consider this before customizing the order and/or purchasing.

Attachments

• 20131018_084907.jpg
    20131018_084907.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 1,230
  • 20131018_084943.jpg
    20131018_084943.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 1,230
Back