Charger won't start charging.

mongrol

100 mW
Not sure where to start troubleshooting this.

48v 20A battery, 27100 cells. It's done a lot of miles. About 4 months ago the charger stopped triggering when I plugged it in. It was hit n miss for a bit but eventually stuck on the ol' green light forever so I replaced the cheapest bit (the charger) and bought a new 48v charger from the same company (caprouge.com.au). It charged every time for 4 months up until today.

In between, in a separate incident my other bike battery died. I replaced it with a 52v pack and charger (caprouge again). It's been good.

Now the 48V pack won't trigger it's reasonably new 48v charger. If I plug the 52v charger in, it'll trigger and start charging. Since I don't know anything about BMS on this pack I'm reluctant to leave it around with a 52V charger on it but I left it on half an hour and it charged up to 50v and up until this morning the pack has been well behave and held a charge up to about 53.1v.

So I don't know here to go from here. 48v charger won't trigger. 52v charger will. Pack is 2-3 years old and generally has been cycled every day although I've never really ran it dry.

The 52v charger upped it to 52.8v then I couldn't watch it anymore so unplugged it and off to bed. This morning I've done about 40km and its about 46.3v. The 48V charger still won't trigger, 52V charger is working.
How do the trigger circuits in these chargers work? Must be a way to test it.

Back