Charging a 10s lipo with a 6s charger?

We-Me

10 mW
I blew my 10s icharger and need to charge my APS 10s battery using my my 6s charger. The balance leads are set up with 1 10s balance connector and the main leads are the combined parallel packs together in just the 1 positive and 1 negative leads.

Do I need to use the main leads to charge or can I

A) rewire my 10s balance plug into 2 5s plugs and use only those 2 balance plugs plugged into a balance board and charge my battery like that.

Or

B) plug the main leads (37v) into the 6s charger and also reconfigure the balance plugs as in the above (A)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A six cell charger would only work if you broke the pack in half 2 sets of 5s balance leads and 2 sets of main connectors and then use a loop key to get the 10s configuration. I would try get another charge than cut the pack up and split it into 2 5s cells as charging times will double and much more potching to get a full battery. How u blow an I charger ?

You can charge through the balance wire if you take it easy on the amperage. A 10s balance connector will have 11 terminals/pins. to charge the first 5 cells you need to connect your negative charger lead to pin 1 and the positive to pin 6. To charge the last 5 cells you need to connect the negative lead to pin 6 and the positive to pin 11.

I have been told not to go above 2 amps of current when charging through the balance wires. It really depends on the size of the wires in your system, I use 22 awg balance wires in my systems and can charge at 8 amps without generating any heat from resistance, my balance wires are also quite long compared to most setups.

This technique will also work for balancing a severely out of balance pack much better than any balance charger or BMS can.

Ianhill said:
A six cell charger would only work if you broke the pack in half 2 sets of 5s balance leads and 2 sets of main connectors and then use a loop key to get the 10s configuration. I would try get another charge than cut the pack up and split it into 2 5s cells as charging times will double and much more potching to get a full battery. How u blow an I charger ?
I accidentally plugged the 12volt input leads into my boards battery charging ports. They are both the standard banana plug type. Poof! Arced and then when I tried to plug it in the right way smoke started coming out of the fan area on the icharger.

chaka said:
You can charge through the balance wire if you take it easy on the amperage. A 10s balance connector will have 11 terminals/pins. to charge the first 5 cells you need to connect your negative charger lead to pin 1 and the positive to pin 6. To charge the last 5 cells you need to connect the negative lead to pin 6 and the positive to pin 11.

I have been told not to go above 2 amps of current when charging through the balance wires. It really depends on the size of the wires in your system, I use 22 awg balance wires in my systems and can charge at 8 amps without generating any heat from resistance, my balance wires are also quite long compared to most setups.

This technique will also work for balancing a severely out of balance pack much better than any balance charger or BMS can.

Thanks for the info.

Bruno from Alien Power System seemed to think it would be fine to use a 6s charger with the 10s battery. He sent it to me with 2 5s balance leads and 1 set of leads. He said to use a balance board. I never figured it out so I just made a 10s balance plug and bought the 10s charger.

Nice work on the integrated components for your Ollin setup!

Back