cheap controller quit working

matsh

1 W
Hi guys.
New in this game.. bought a cheap kit 48v 1000w With all included. wired it up With 12 lipo. and tok it for a 10km ride. worked great.
but 12s is a litle low voltage 44.5 to 49.8. so i tested With 15s lipo.. maybe a bit to high.. charged up to 4.1 per cell. 61.5v.
it ran great. much more torque. top speed i did not test. thats not that important. after 3km it died...motor just jerks one time when i use throtle. the lcd displays says code 06. short break motor or Controller. tested the Controller. and betwen the negative input and blue motor phase it is Direct contact... so then mostlikely the mosfet has died right? the mosfet in stp80nf70 they are rated 63v. and the big caps inside are rated 63v so i thought 61.5v would be okay? the lcd display that is conected to the controllr sayd maks was 1460w. when i tested With 12s it was 1150w maks on the reading
what do you think og wrong?
when it stopped working the voltage was about 60.5v
Picture of the Controller

if you do not see a damaged mosfet, you can test it from the phase wires and the P+ and P- leads, using the DVM.

you can use the ohmeter scale to see if the mosfet is shorted between any of the three phase wires and either of the two power leads, P+ and P-.

then use the diode tester on the DVM to verify by testing for the body diode of the mosfet.

I can give you a brand new one for 50 delivered if you want? Bought 4 for various things

Already have a new on the way. Same type. But can i use 60v again and hope the new controller will hold?
Or buy a Cheap ebay 60v 1500w controller, maybe have to try that. And hope the motor will handle the 1500w power?

The old is shorted negative to blue phase. So 4 of the mosfets goes to the blue phase cable. All of them has a short when i test them. And they are rated for 63v so i dont understand why they did die.

Those fets are rated for 68V and 98A, so I doubt you blew a fet. Double check your battery wiring. What you describe sounds like a bad connection allowing voltage to drop below lvc under load. I can get the same outcome, by only hooking up my precharge resistor and not my main power connection. Motor will click on for just a second. Without proper connection, it allows voltage to drop below lvc almost immediately.

you have not demonstrated that the controller is dead.

you need to test it first before deciding it is dead arbitrarily.

did you even test the hall sensors to see if they were toggling?

your motor could even be full of water.

As i wrote before. Have tested the controller with a fluke. And got bad reading between the negative in and blue motor phase. And when the controller is wired to the motor the motor is hard to free spin by hand. I assume that those to test will confirm the mosfet is dead ? Have not tested the hall sensor. Just did the mosfet test guide i found.

Yes opened the backside and checked all the soldering joints. all where Nice.

Back