Cheap sub $10 Solderless 5S6P pack build

Joachim said:
nice snow ride,the battery wurks good in the winter time.....summer time this thing wil meld down :oops:

Ya this is most definately true.. but going with the data from lygte-info the cells at 7A reach 32 celsius and the electrical tape is rated for 80 celsius.. a 7A cell load across my pack which lets say would be 11S6P - is approx. 1850watts.. Which is atleast 2x the legal limit in some places..

skeetab5780 said:
i feel it would have been cheaper to solder. Im not sure if you have the skills to yet but it can be learned fairly quickly.

I'd never waste my time soldering good cells. I experimented with the design for soldering that Kepler did but, MEH. When welders are so cheap. Still a system that eliminates solder and welding means easy repairs and rebuilds. To me that sort of system is a real bit of reward progress. There's an even better system being developed here on ES dot com. I'll invest in that one as well. Solder packs, no thanks!
BUT, Thanks for the suggestion and feedback!

tomjasz said:
I'd never waste my time soldering good cells!

So do you waste your time soldering bad cells? if you read the entire post I did also mention spot welding(which also is better than electrical tape) but cost more up front

I wouldn't solder directly to the cells anyway, good luck getting the negative of the cell can hot enough before you ruin them. I would get them tab welded in strings or tab weld the parallel groups then solder from tab to tab. It will certainly be smaller and nicer overall pack that if you taped the thing together with electrical tape...

skeetab5780 said:
bla bla bla.. It will certainly be smaller and nicer overall pack that if you taped the thing together with electrical tape...

OH! my tape build is of LESS utility than your smaller and nicer packs Im now guessing.. thats for sure.. pfff
BTW - Im still using my taped pack everyday.. and lately its -20celsius..

How do you plan to assure contact over time and avoid corrosion? What are the risks of uneven discharge over time?
You should get real and understand that with a solution like this, you need solid data over time to get any credibility.
This is partly due to the unanswered concerns of longevity and security of the installation, but also due to the overall build quality.
Assembling something with electrical tape is generally seen as a last resort quick fix, for good reasons.
Most people don't want to take extra risks with a questionable battery installation.

You can get offended all you want, but this is the harsh reality.
If you can prove this method works with the correct build technique and materials, hats off to you.

This solder less battery pack is now three and half years old..
approx. one year of use and two and a half years in a storage container..
50059193178_e8e7e8855a_h.jpg

:eek:

started a new thread for another solderless battery //

Back