Cheap urban FS DD beater

If she rides it at times when she'd otherwise drive a car, everybody wins. I hope it works out that way. If she gets to riding it a lot, you should consider coming up with something better than a Mongoose (a bike I'd only give to a bum for free, and then only if I wouldn't be expected to maintain it).

Unless you measure it, you don't know how many amps the thing is actually moving around. The 60A controller may in its specific setup be delivering fewer amps than your 30A controller does.

Motor phase wires are usually short enough to have little effect on power, at least within their rating. Keep in mind that wire resistance is a function of both cross-sectional area and length. Your controller has traces on its circuit board that have to transmit the very same power, but are probably much smaller than the phase leads. Consider the legs on the FETs themselves, for instance.

Chalo said:
If she rides it at times when she'd otherwise drive a car, everybody wins. I hope it works out that way. If she gets to riding it a lot, you should consider coming up with something better than a Mongoose (a bike I'd only give to a bum for free, and then only if I wouldn't be expected to maintain it).

Unless you measure it, you don't know how many amps the thing is actually moving around. The 60A controller may in its specific setup be delivering fewer amps than your 30A controller does.

Motor phase wires are usually short enough to have little effect on power, at least within their rating. Keep in mind that wire resistance is a function of both cross-sectional area and length. Your controller has traces on its circuit board that have to transmit the very same power, but are probably much smaller than the phase leads. Consider the legs on the FETs themselves, for instance.

I have no problem upgrading the bike if she gets into riding more-it's something we've talked about doing but have yet to do much of as a couple. Having another child on the way this past year did not help us any lol. At this point the main obstacle is that the nearby neighborhoods are littered with short, steep hills that would be a rough ride for most experienced cyclists making even local rides miserable for her.

Our plan for the bikes is to use them for around town stuff like going to one of several nearby parks with the kids and do some longer distance rides together that she would otherwise be unable to do at her current fitness level. Will it replace a car? Probably not for much. Will it help keep the 8-13 mpg AWD SUV she drives parked a little more often? I'd wager so.

I did measure the battery current with a relatively accurate eBay watt meter similar to the ones Luna sells. The 60A controller peaked at ~35A and delivered about <28A continuous even when I cranked it way up. My other controller does about 30A continuous, I forget the peak reading. It's been a while since I checked. I guess my mind was hung up on the tiny phase wires. I hadn't put too much thought into the limitations of the FET legs or traces. I've only ever opened two controllers up-a Hallomotor I blew and a blown one for a 500w kids quad that I replaced. The Hallomotor had a good amount of solder but the stock one for the kids quad looked pretty inadequate.

Good news is that the bike works well for what it is-some cheap stuff on a cheap bike. It's a little tall for her but she is dead set on having a mountain bike. We took a 2-3 mile ride through the woods to one of the local parks and back earlier this evening on mostly electric power while grandma and grandpa came over to visit the kids.

If I had offspring, I'm not sure I could afford any e-bike, so I guess you're doing right by that measure.

If the new bike is"overgeared" at the electrical level, that is if the free speed of the motor is much higher than the bike's top speed, then its operating efficiency on the road might be low enough to account for the difference in feel. 50% of 1500W is a lot less than 80% of the same electrical power.

Makes sense, the no load speed of the new motor is around 50 mph where as the no load speed of the 29er bike is 44 and change.

If I was still single and without offspring I'd probably be neck deep into a motorcycle or small car conversion with both the time and money to do it right. As much as I'd like to go nuts with the hobby, I probably won't be throwing much more money at ebikes.

On the bright side, the family is definitely interested in electric vehicles and alternative transportation. My fiance has expressed interest in buying a hybrid or electric car down the road. The eldest is an avid bicyclist and has been begging me for an ebike, especially since outgrowing her 500w electric ATV. We'll probably settle for one of those Razor Bellezza scooters on her next birthday though. :mrgreen:

Hey guys....I'm new on this forum and was googling info on the yuyang King Bluetooth controller. I have a crystalyte setup and my controller vibrated a capacitor loose and crapped out the controller. I purchased the Yuyang and am at point where I am at a loss trying to get power to the Bluetooth module. My throttle is a four pin and the controller has a three, I took apart both controllers and am pretty sure I have the hall sensor wires and all matched but I can't pair my iPhone and figure out a few things....if anyone can help me figure how to wire a power on switch it would rock.

Back