Check the Obvious for "Error brakes or comms" or How to Not be Stupid Like Me

StMapleBury

🧲 New user
Joined
Jul 4, 2022
Messages
3
Background: Two 2012 era ICE Trikes upgraded around 2021 with MM TSDZ2 with 860C displays - OSF Upgrades V20.1C.4 from the Eco-Cycles (outfit gone bust). The guys from Eco-Cycles were very helpful and responsive back then. I did all the work myself. It turned out great. We love the operation and ease of use.

(But - Now for my excuses, please put up with this old guy. I am now 73 years old.) This past spring I had health issues but was excited to get the trikes out and get out for a ride with my wife. Some times you just forget stuff and need to have it reinforced with a 2x4 across the skull. So here is my story. My intent is to share being stupid so you won't be (I hope).

Got-em out. Plugged in the battery. Fired it up and got the dreaded "Error brakes or comms" error. Both trikes. Same report. So off to consult Dr. Google. The threads led me down the rabbit hole of resetting the "option byte". Well, since both behaved the same way, my immediate reaction was a battery died in the display - another rabbit hole to chase down. (I hope some of you are recoiling in horror. Well at least you should be!) My notes on these rabbit holes and all the good input you fine people provided over the years was useful, educational, and sometimes painful for me to read.

I am a highly technical guy, but I tend to lose details more easily at this end of life's road than when I was younger. I can work very intensely on a technical project, solve problems in the moment, remember I did so, but forget the solution once it is done and gone away a few months later. Sad trombone...

I built my own flashing dongle for the TSDZ2 from the links referenced and set up a Windows 10 machine with the software
See: Flash the firmware on TSDZ2

So, I replaced a battery in an 860C display - it still works and requires a delicate hand to cut out and solder in the new battery.
See: Bafang 860C display dead - SOLVED!

I re-flashed one of the TSDZ2 mid motors multiple times. (BTW make sure your firmware versions for the TSDZ2 motor and 860C display match) -
See: Releases · emmebrusa/TSDZ2-Smart-EBike-860C

I set up to flash the 860C by buying the APT DISPLAY BOOTLOADER usb dongle from the good people at Electrify Bike and set up the Windows 10 machine with the software. The hardest part was finding the windows executable to flash the firmware using the boot loader dongle. (I can't locate the URL, but have the APT executable. I am open to uploading to somewhere on this forum if that doesn't violate some law or something - moderators let me know.)
I bought a stock 860C display off Amazon and got it to flash a version of the V20 release. And THEN I by accident (ahem) flashed it with 850C software (DOH!) and bricked it.

Testing off all of these on my wife's trike (you didn't think I was going to do it on mine did you?) still left me with "Error brakes or comms" - just like some you knew it would.

So, I thought, maybe I have a short somewhere... And then I remembered. The brakes work by shorting a the brake line to ground (pull down).

I looked down and could see THE PARKING BRAKE WAS ON! Both trikes! I pushed the lever to turn off the parking brake and both trikes are just fine. And I learned a bunch.

It was an ID-10-T error (idiot). Yup, that's me, just call me stupid. Put a fork in me I'm done.
 
At least you have the ID-code 10T error with two working ebikes and a riding partner to enjoy them.

I've lost count of the number of times I wired my XT-60;s backwards. Some days I look at one and say the flat side gets the black wire,
 
Back
Top