• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

claud butler cbr supermoto frame build

xadmx

1 kW
hi i got this frame super cheap so my plan is to use my 80-100 motor mounted to the swing arm, 3d printed battery box that i can clip on and off so i can charge one and use one.
and mount the controller on the bottom of the frame for a clean look. 24"rims with 24x3 knobbly tyres.

frame

started test printing the battery box.

bit more progress, i am just using up my end of spools to test print this out. after i have tested it i am going to print it with abs.

controller is going on the bottom with a aluminium bash guard

battery box just needs the mounting rails now then its ready it fit.

mock up mounted the motor, what a pain but the pedals and chain miss the can so all is good. i had to notch the swingarm out so will weld it up soon. i think i might have to mod the swingarm a bit more for the chain so i will wait until then and weld it all together.

had a go at making some fork guards today, i 3d printed some brackets that i put some glue and a couple of small screws in to hold them on. then i cut the plastics from a drain pipe then heated it up over a cooker, then i held it over a steel tube to form it.
i am going to spray the frame red.

izeman said:
very nice project. and the battery box nicely matches the frame. why do you want to print it, instead of welding some alloy box? then you can powder coat the whole frame.

just incase i want to change the design, plus i am building another frame with a 2 speed gearbox so when that one is finished this one will prob go in the bin.

adam

while you're 3d printing things... print out an impeller so that your 80-100 doesnt overheat the first time you use it.

without one, I cant push more than 3000 watts without it slowly getting too hot. with one, its almost air temp, with 4000 watts though it non-stop.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=62990

this is still with the 26" wheels i am still waiting on the 24" ones to come.

awesome design but due to the space i have i don't think i could fit a fan on the motor. i was thinking of using a fan and some ducting down to the motor.
adam

MrDude_1 said:
while you're 3d printing things... print out an impeller so that your 80-100 doesnt overheat the first time you use it.

without one, I cant push more than 3000 watts without it slowly getting too hot. with one, its almost air temp, with 4000 watts though it non-stop.

xadmx said:
awesome design but due to the space i have i don't think i could fit a fan on the motor. i was thinking of using a fan and some ducting down to the motor.
adam

MrDude_1 said:

you either work it into the plan now, figure out how to work it into the plan later, or burn up the motor... lol. :lol:

since you can weld and you're not afraid to cut up the swingarm some... why not chop out the lower tube a bit more to clear better, then add in a new lower tube on this side?

awesome idea i think this is the way to go, it will give me more room for the chain aswell. i was just trying to do as little work as possible to this frame :mrgreen:

MrDude_1 said:
xadmx said:
adam

MrDude_1 said:

you either work it into the plan now, figure out how to work it into the plan later, or burn up the motor... lol. :lol:

since you can weld and you're not afraid to cut up the swingarm some... why not chop out the lower tube a bit more to clear better, then add in a new lower tube on this side?

put the 20" wheels on off the bmx project just to see what it looked like.

managed to get 105 18650 in the box with a bit of room for the connector.

homemade chain guard and 3d printed chain ring guard.

sprayed front wheel black, have to spray the back tomorrow. i am just waiting for the 24x3 tyres now.

rear sprocket and disc brake fits. i need a new seat.

my tig welder broke and not having the funds for a new one at the moment i thought i would make a ghetto spool gun. as i have gas and wire.
this is what i come up with. i used a cordless drill speed control and a thumb screw to set the speed using a 24v power pack.
the roller come fram a 3d printer, i just spun it up on the motor and used a file it to shape.
the motor is a small 9v geared motor i had spare (rb30020-04r03r dc 9v 20101218) don't no where i got it from but it works really well.
i cut into the tourch off the welder and connected the micro switch from the spool gun to it. i use 2 micro switchs at the same time, one too switch the welder and one to switch the wire feed on the spool gun.
it really works awesome :D

got the 24x3 tyres on now, still a bit to do before i can test ride it.

Looking like one of the new Bultacos! cool build!

Back