Clicking noise- 9c

potatorage

100 W
My motor is not spinning no matter what, and it's really frustrating!
I have a Grin 12fet sensored controller and a 9c rear motor. I recently replaced the halls because they were not functioning and they appear to be working now. The motor was working fine previously after the repair.
Now I hear one soft click when I turn the throttle, but only one click. When I release the throttle and turn again, one more click.
The motor turns, but with some resistance. I was having trouble getting the stator seated correctly, so I think that is the source of the resistance.
Any suggestions on what to do next?

Is the motor still hard to turn when disconnected from the controller? If not, then you most likely have shorted FET's in the controller.

The motor still has some resistance when the controller is disconnected. It is not too difficult to turn, but doesn't make more than a full revolution when I try to spin it and let go.

Is the turning resistance worse when it's connected to the controller or the same?

The problem was in the hall sensor connector. One of the pins was loose and not making contact. However, the wheel is not true and wobbles when rotating. The spokes on one side are all loose, while the spokes on the other side are tight. Does this mean that my rim is bent?

pics?
hall sensor connector ahh interesting that it would cause that.
"However, the wheel is not true and wobbles when rotating" this does not surprise me- i had to completely re-build my wheel
but the wheel will always have a small wobble due to manufacturing tolerances

Loose spokes on one side and tight on the other indicates a severly "dished" wheel. This is usually to center the rim in the dropouts when the axle geometry doesn't agree with the installation and/or freewheel cogs. If you look closely you should see one side much more vertical than the other.

Slight run-out wobble is acceptable but anything bad enough to cause drag against brake pads should not be in service.

Connectors can and do create a lot of problems. Thanks for following up about your issue.

Yes, center the wheel with the spokes, unless it's already as far as it will go.

I mean, if that's the way it needs to go, tighten those loose spokes. Don't get the opposite spokes too tight in the process.

Back