Crystalyte 40X rear with freehub - real or Photoshop?

wanders

100 W
I'm a bit frustrated at the freewheel options available on rear drive hub motors in general, and from Crystalyte in particular. There are international standards (e.g. 135mm dropout width, Shimano-compatible freehub, etc.) and really, how hard can it be to do it right? Just attention to detail and some assurance that there is a market outside of China that will buy this stuff.

Anyway,
I see this picture from a Texas-based internet seller of hub motor kits (http://www.bicycles-electric-bikes.com, and yeah I do know that this "retailler" is pretty lame):

8speedhub.jpg
and I cannot figure out if this is:

a) real or
b) a Photoshop job (if it is, it is pretty good - check out the reflection in the case),

and if a) is it:

a1) available or
a2) a custom job?

Does anyone know for sure? I would really get all over a Crystalyte (or frankly, any quality hub motor) freehub system...

Willie

Check or money order? No way to pay with fraud protection? Address is a PO box? Heh...

Though, why bother photoshopping a freehub? If they're just defrauding people, what would the freehub get them...

I bet it's just a custom job and a real photo, from a unreputable seller.

I'd suggest asking Justin at ebikes.ca if it's possible to use a freehub, say with a custom sidecover. Assuming you have the clearance, it'd be nice to put road gearing on an ebike. And if you get an answer, post it here!

ebikes.ca did sell a few of these freehub crystalytes, but I recently asked why they no longer had them - Zev said they were problematic. - He was not specific what the problems were however.

Dunno but replacing the freehub body has to be a bitch, gotta remove the cover to get an allen key in there.

Mathurin said:
Dunno but replacing the freehub body has to be a bitch, gotta remove the cover to get an allen key in there.

I'm told that the same is true for a thread-on freewheel as well. The axle is so big that you either have to drill out a Park Tool freewheel remover to fit over the axle (not easy unless you have a drill press, and not easy even then), or, as you said, remove the cover.

Willie

Not really hard to drill out the freewheel remover! I did it with a hand power drill, a vise and some patience!
Doc

Pff.. wussie.. i did it with a hand file ! :twisted:

( must admit i had no power tools at the time.. got a drill press now and it would have saved a few hours of work ! lol )

But. yes.. Kenny will make them if you ask nicely, but god only knows what you end up with until you receive them.. :?

Back