current best of class ebike suggestions

deardancer3

10 kW
Wondering what the consensus is on the best of current prebuilt ebikes in the $1500 retail range.

Anything out there with decent performance and reliability?

Also, what would be the advise for a $1200 kit?

just general purpose --- moderate hills, 20 mph top speed 25-30 mile range; is this budget too low?

looking for a friend, I am not up to speed on the new offerings, just the older stuff like Giant Lafree cyclone and Bionx.

anything to stay clear of? Rmartin, currie, etc?

thanks

d

almost usd800 ? not bad right ? top speed is 25km/h and is sending for inspection to get approve by gov, and this checking will cost anther $50 for a tagged to be approve on SG roads.

is there anything to avoid ? i have currie , is not bad kit also. i left it there becos of the speed is slow. A safety ebike speed has to be 35mph or least 45km/h.

Attachments

• Not bad.jpg
    Not bad.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 731
The main thing about prebuilt bikes is they tend to come with just 10 ah of battery, which limits range to less than you plan on.

It takes about 20 ah of 36v to have 25 mile range at 20-25 mph. So with a typical 10-12 ah battery on a prebuilt bike, you'd have to ride 15 mph or less to get close to 25 mile range.

When you look at ranges for a bike in an ad, cut the number in half. They've done that test running about 10-12 mph, using 100w and pedaling up another 100w. At 20 mph, you'll be using 3- 400w depending on your pedaling.

I have little experience with prebuilt bikes, but thier performance mirrors the various kits. Small gearmotors with 200w are slowish and climb only mild hills well. More powerfull direct drive motors with 500-1000w do much better.

Once really long range is a priority, I definitely tend to lean towards building a kit up. Nearly any direct drive kit, and a 36v 20 ah pingbattery will do you, on a budget of $1200. The really big plus is you have the whole wide world of bike frames to choose from. The downside is stuff like locking battery trays, lights and horn, etc might not be there on the kit. So you have to work on your own solutions for locking up a battery.

You can have this kit on your doorstep in a day or two.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/48V1000W-26-Rear-Wheel-Electric-Bicycle-Motor-Kit-E-Bike-Cycling-Hub-Conversion-/370646092582
Install it on a 26" bike with steel dropouts. Add a battery capable of at least a 30A output.
I use nothing but rc lipo (lico). 15ah of 12s (44.4V nominal) will get you a top speed of ~28mph, and a 30mile range at 20mph.
Total cost minus bike and charger of around $600. $200 will get you a 20A 14s charger and power supply.

As Dogman mentioned... it's going to be tough to get 25-30 mile range out of any pre-built e-bike with just the throttle and no pedaling. But if you use the PAS function (pedal-assist) and allow the bike to assist while you pedal, that type of range is definitely possible. There are a wide range of e-bikes that can get you 25+ miles in PAS mode. For the most part, conversion kits are throttle-control only.

What you need to ask yourself, is do you really need 25-30 miles? It's very possible you do, but many people come into our shop and throw out these numbers and don't even realize how far 25-30 miles is on a bicycle. It's pretty far! I know lots of ES guys do extended trips and need tons of range, but the average bicycle commute (for an typical suburban rider) is less than 20 miles. Do you really need this much range? Just something to think about...

Thinking of a pre build ebike... " there are alot of plenty china build those . i open big my both eyes and was very surprise their welding is all robot done, so is accurate and perfert. Pre- build ebike are for people have no choice, have a complete zero interests to know anything about building a ebike, they will Just want to ride it ONLY. it might be good for teenages who want to start of a new ebike ! at least i think a speed like 25km/h and below won't hurt him as bad as a 60km/h when there is unexpected fall.

I believe all the slowest ebike at a speed below 25km/h, the parts will not be easily spoil or any damage gears. The reliability will be definitely fantastic good , no speed performances. pre build is for people, old lady, aged, teens, etc

ken

Attachments

• no choice 2.jpg
    no choice 2.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 627
Thanks for the inputs, especially the numbers.

I think this gives newbies things to ponder when tossing around specifications..

Not to mention terrain, load size, ability to tinker and specifications vs real life.

Keep it coming.

d

Back