Currie eZip Scooter mega mod ideas

bgmcmillen

1 µW
Hi everyone,
I have held on to a Currie eZip 400 scooter from years back because I like its bones so much.
ezip 400.jpg
My goal is to use the frame/wheels that are already there and redo everything else. Ultimately, I'm hoping to get something that would do 30+ mph steadily and have some range behind it. It's all flat land around here and none of the riders would exceed 200lbs. I also don't need it to hit max speed in 2 seconds.

I'm wondering if anyone else has used this frame as a base and successfully modded it with newer tech, rather than drill batteries and old style hacks. Or has done the same sort of thing with an older Razor 300 or the like.

I'm also wondering if there is a major loss in anything if I stayed with a chain drive instead of hubless.

If this came up before, sorry for bad search-fu skills. Thanks!

I've previously modified a few of these E400/450 scooters. A 450/500w 28A motor from an E450 can be swapped. It is, I believe, the largest plug-and-play motor. These operate flawlessly at 48 volts and 35/40 amps at maximum; Neodymium-like rare earth magnets are used in these Currie-Tech motors so it can handle a good amount of abuse. Its rated 24/48v from the manufacturer. The largest battery that can fit in the scooter is 48v 14ah.
s-l1600.jpg

More motor is always a good thing. More speed isn’t though. I converted a similar gas model to electric. The lack of suspension was a dealbreaker. I’ve built a couple of other 10” wheeled scooters with 60mm travel front and rear, which rode beautifully up to 40mph, at which point things start getting wobbly. But I wouldn’t want to travel half that speed without suspension. Not that it’s necessarily dangerous, it’s just unnecessarily unpleasant. Why don’t you start with a suspension model?

I pick them out of council rubbish piles, but I’m sure there’s also people giving them away, or selling for $20. They’re worthless when the lead acid batteries are dead and the drivetrains and wheel bearings are worn out - you can buy a new one for less than the refurbishment cost.

Upgrading the stock suspension systems is time-consuming, but we’ll worth it. It’s simple to bolt a pit bike swimgarm on to the rear. The front ends require more effort.

I have a business partner that is really into the scoots, I keep telling him he is pushing 50 and 50 pushes back..

In any case, he had a street scoot that would do 30+ and loved it.. but it lacked suspension and he said it was like hopping on my old race bike (long story, I had a rock frame from back in the day and just never got rid of it. I surrendered it a few years back though) which is exactly what it was, solid rubber tires no suspension and bobs yer uncle, is really just unpleasant.

So with me as his business partner... he goes hog wild and buys a pricey off road scooter (like better part of a grand.. I think T88.. like the terminator sticks to mind) in any case, he has taken it to tournaments and bombed around on it offroad-ish (It is a fishing tournament we manage them out of Marina's and parks, it ain't cross country, more like cross grassy knoll) He hates it in the grave, loves it on the road.

I have numbness issues in my feet, or I would. .:: coughs:: be a responsible adult and say those things are gonna kill ya ::waives fist:: Git off my lawn!

Back