• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Cyclone Issue.

eTomas

1 µW
Hey Guys,
Long time rider/ebike guy, short time poster.

Long story short, im testing a few bikes with cyclone kits for commercial purposes at the moment and I'm having chronic issues with the 360V cyclone kit. Sorry to not contribute for so long then ask for help, but i'm seriously stumped.

This has happened with TWO 360V cyclone kits now on two different batteries (LiFeP04 and cheaper unknown chinese liion batteries) using the inbuilt cyclone controller and throttle. When riding and placing the motor under a large load, the kit will shut down. To restart the motor, it needs to be reset from the battery. This IS different to the motor cutting out under stall (which displays a red light on the throttle in my experience.

Could it be:
Unsuitable wiring?
Unsuitable batteries (all of which are 24V 10Ah)?

Has anyone else had this issue? Im completely stuffed. A cyclone reseller provided me with a capacitor to go between the motor and a kit which seemed to have moderate success. Thoughts?

How can i troubleshoot this issue?

Thanks guys,
Tom.

It could be your battery BMS shutting the thing down because your drawing too much current.
Easy way to find out is bypass the BMS and try it...this will inevitable destroy your pack if you
do it continuously but to isolate the issue its the easy way IMO

Then again...I could be wrong as i often am when it comes to electricall issues...more often than not actually LoL

KiM

Arg, now it feels like the front crank freewheel has died. Has super large amounts of drag now. I seriously cant win.

Thanks for your input :wink: .

eTomas said:
Arg, now it feels like the front crank freewheel has died. Has super large amounts of drag now. I seriously cant win.

Thanks for your input :wink: .

Common problem with the cyclone the freewheels are crap. Gotto Sickbikeparts.com and buy an White
Industries ENO freewheel and you will never have issues with it again

KiM

Cyclone motors tend to require pretty large current from batteries. I have the external controller 650W version, and it easily draws 35A at 24V (which is the current limit of the controller) and sometimes makes it up to around 40A. I don't know what the limit is set to for the internal 360W, but I wouldn't be surprised if you're pulling 20A, maybe more. That would be 2C from your 10Ah battery, which might be too much for a cheapie. Do you have a cycle analyst, watts up, etc. to measure the current draw?

The 360W can pull 650W+ with no trouble. There is no real capacitance in them so they pull BIG spikes, which rapidly trip BMS's that aren't up to the job or are over-sensitive to current pulses.

sounds like you're pulling a huge load. how's your gearing set up? bms info if possible?

Problem successfully isolated i think. I used an un-BMS'd 20C 24V 10Ah 'pack' of cells and couldn't make it drop out.

New BMS time i think. What 'specs' or features do i need to be looking for in a new BMS?

Gearing is 43:16.

Thanks for your help so far!

Good news, but there might not be anything wrong with your BMS. It could be doing it's job perfectly to protect your pack! What's the rating on your pack? C-rating or continuous current? You probably should be able to supply something like 30A to make sure you don't have any trouble with the Cyclone tripping the BMS.

Putting a higher-rated BMS on the same batteries is just a good way to kill them quickly if they're not up to the task.

The cheapish chinese cells i use for testing purposes have a small C rating 2-3C AFAIK. I'll just use BMI cells or something with my 360W cyclone kits in future.

Mine did this a few times and it ended up being something shorting in the pack when it was bouncing around and tripping the bms.

Any comparable motors to the cyclone ? in the 1.2 -1.5KW ?

Back