"Da bomb" cargo bike + Transmag 3kW / MAC 2kW / HS3548

The last 1/2 of the bike is not a feature, unfortunately. It has a very narrow and tapered rear end, which isn't good for carrying anything at all without the addition of additional bars & hardware to make the rear end rectangular and wide enough to mount some cargo to.

I originally wanted to add rectangular bars to the rear of the bike to make it functionally a cargo bike. But it would have been a very expensive and complicated affair to have done, after the fact. The 2 people i know in the area who can weld both looked at it and said 'no, you're insane'. Even if it were possible, the end result would be much heavier than a yuba mundo, which is a bike far better suited to the task.

It was meant to have a specific gasoline engine and reduction box fitted and nothing else.

535_2014_Design_Logic_Da-Phat_1.0.jpg

Luckily, their new designs have made the bike actually suitable for carrying things. But they are no longer really midtails.. just frames with rear racks built into them.

I couldn't even sell the bike for a fifth of the new asking price on here and elsewhere. I've just wanted it out of my sight ever since. Turning it into a lighter and more aerodynamic midtail beats throwing it in the trash.

Neps, you go guy. Do whatever you gotta do to make that frame palatable. I was hoping you'd hack off everything rear of the seat tube and have a new set of rear stays welded on.....

dogman said:
I've been trying to knock off that last 5 pounds of Christmas fat for a month and not really getting there. Then I tried the swine flu diet. Worked like a charm and I lost 8 pounds in two weeks. :)

Bwahahaha! Not the subject (swine flu) but the way you said it. dogman you never fail to make me roll outa my chair!!!

Now THAT's dead sexy. Except...no pedals!

999zip999 said:
Is that just a huge 12v sla ?
Looks exactly like that. With "floorpans" for your feet to rest on either side of it.

I'll bet that bike was just heaven on earth to ride. Big, soft, cushy slow ride. CHEEP to charge with a simple 12V charger!

FYI... this bike is goners, as in... scrap metal.
I did all kinds of crazy mods to get the weight down, but it was just stupidly overbuilt. 12lbs was still too heavy for the frame.

I tried a suspension fork up front, but due to the length of the bike, even after being shortened, it was bottoming out on a 120mm front shock. ( was kinda cool when it wasn't bottoming out though, since due to the rider weight being so forward, it would take some of the hits out of the rear with the front fork ).

Looking at it all hacked up and patched up various times, it was in the end, an ugly, poorly designed, heavy bike that did not function properly as a cargo bike in the first place, and was far beyond my abilities to chain drive properly as well.

So, RIP 'da bomb'.

I've got a ~2001 Turner O2 in the pipeline for a new project. Dual suspension bike with meaty dropouts and a good size triangle that will hold a falconEV bag - basically what i've been looking for for 4 years! Will start a new thread once it is done.

neptronix said:
FYI... this bike is goners, as in... scrap metal.
So, RIP 'da bomb'.

I've got a ~2001 Turner O2 in the pipeline for a new project. Dual suspension bike with meaty dropouts and a good size triangle that will hold a falconEV bag - basically what i've been looking for for 4 years! Will start a new thread once it is done.

RIP Da Bomb. May it be recycled into something awesome.

YAY on the Turner O2! Some of 'em have very nice, big triangles. Even bigger than the big Genesis v2100's....

Oh yeah. I got the Turner O2 in the other day; it fits a em3ev bag perfectly! and it's a wonderfully light, well constructed frame. I feel like i have a vintage corvette of bikes in my hands now.

Real conflicted as to what motor i want to drop into the rear tho.. and i'm moving to a better location in Utah.. and it's ridiculously hot out.. so the build will have to wait a bit, but i'm excited to get it going when the time comes.

Back