de-rating RC motors and controllers

Note that Lucien Miller wrote this from an RC plane/helicopter point of view, no start-up torque, starting at 'for everyone else':
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11476940#post11476940

Vriendelijke groeten ;) Ron
• brushless motor building tips & tricks • diy brushless motor discussion group
• Drive Calculator download & discussion group • int. electric fly-in, Nijmegen, the Netherlands

Thanks for the info, Ron. I think I have been following that advice without being aware of it.:D

My 63-64 Turnigy motor is supposedly good for 3000W. The most I have ever run it at continuously (5 min) is 1500W.

My Turnigy HV100 ESC can supposedly handle up to 50V, I run it at 32V and no more than 50A continuous. It can do this all day and it hardly gets above ambient temp.

Keep in mind that maximum current is the most important parameter. Power is just a rough ballpark figure, it's easy to go up in power by just increasing rpm.
Voltage is not something to worry about, wire insulation is good enough. Of course voltage determines rpm (rpm = Kv * voltage), you have to keep voltage below rpm-self-destruct-level.

Volts jolt, current kills.

Vriendelijke groeten ;) Ron
• brushless motor building tips & tricks • diy brushless motor discussion group
• Drive Calculator download & discussion group • int. electric fly-in, Nijmegen, the Netherlands

Back