delete all board cookies ?

simple solution..
1) change your ES password to a complex 10 digit, mixed case, multi symbol, code, whilst heavily under the influence of class A drugs and strong alcohol. ( do not record or write it down anywhere)
2) log out of ES.
3) Take a long break from any computer system.

Glad your smiling! ... me too! ... and while you are hacking away on the forum tonight there are a few things we could use fixed! Feel free to make it better! :D

As to "those that mod/admin the forum have no clue how it works..." I can't speak for anyone else, but that is the group I am in! All voo doo to me.

It seems strange that someone would be mocked for asking questions related to tracking cookies. You'd think he just made the idea up.

bowlofsalad said:
It seems strange that someone would be mocked for asking questions related to tracking cookies. You'd think he just made the idea up.

Gotta go along with that. Or that it's in fact HIGHLY SUSPICIOUS when they become so defensive over something so seemingly innocuous. THIS is the link he's talking about. I'd guess you see that on so many websites as a matter of manners so you can delete their cookies without deleting ALL cookies. This has turned into a sort of comedy in manners.

Here, let me show you there's nothing to be afraid of in using the link. It's not as though clicking it will bring out the 'Blair Witch' or anything. I'll just real quickly here clic. . . .

Attachments

• cookies.jpg
    cookies.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 1,331
Looks like daring Dauntless died whilst clicking on "Delete all board cookies", just to prove it's safe I'll do the same, here we g

<sigh>

I know exactly how board forums work.
I know exactly how cookies & sandboxes work on various platforms and applications.

I've seen simple easy to follow architectures, and I've seen horrendously designed applications that take an army to maintain that are still in use today.

I frequently kill my cookies off for good reasons. Some I keep around because it's a PITA to restore the "defaults".

But you can live without cookies; they are not required. They just make life a bit more convenient.

The best use of cookies will use the least amount of data: A color or font size preference, your last page URL, login preferences. All very mild mannered and well-behaved.

ES is well-behaved. :wink:

Some sites though glom on to everything:
  • Amazon does a very good job at collecting your shopping preferences and tastefully creates suggestions. They get my highest approval.
  • LinkedIn also does a pretty good job of looking through your connections data to find possible past associations. So far they are not polluted with weighty advertisement.
  • On the flip-side, NBCNEWS (formerly MSNBC) is terrible and they bombard you with all sorts of ugly garish advertising.
  • The Motorcycle-Superstore has tentacles far and wide, so they're behavior-based advertising will show up everywhere. That's a cookie I don't miss.

Other sites are far worse - but then I don't go there.

Once upon a time cookies were limited in length to 255 characters. Then it was extended to 1023, and 4095. When they couldn't get enough length, a website would register another domain and pull it in through an iframe or external media reference, and doubling or ... whatever the storage they needed to support their intrusive profiling.

Today though cookies are considered very old tech. A better method which began to emerge during the first decade of the new millennium was "The Sandbox": Like the cookie, the Sandbox is involute and protected space - though many hackers try to break out of this through various means and tricks. Let me explain:

Cookies are text-based ASCII. They live in their own special directory co-resident with other temporary Internet media, scripts and resources.
The Sandbox also has a special place. It was first utilized by Java and then followed by Silverlight; I believe both were initially 1 mb in size. This is a huge space to store personal data - but it can only be accessed by the specific application. Sometimes we store media there or data, such as a spreadsheet or selection set (and maybe in multiples). Sandboxes are useful in that they make the web application (or weblication if you will) load faster. However there's a problem with scenario if we want to work off-line. Enter the downloadable application:

With Silverlight, I can create applications that can work off-line much like a WPF Windows Desktop Application. And in fact - that's where the downloaded Silverlight applications live - on the Desktop. When you make this choice - your Sandbox grows to 10 mb for personal storage. Imagine I'm in Sales and I need to pull down my data from the home base before I catch my overseas flight: The data resides in my large sandbox and I can easily work with it in a disconnected state during the flight, and then sync back with the home base once I've landed. This is the pinnacle of a rich feature-filled web-based client experience! And I've been proud to architect many of these. :)

But the Sandbox, like the Cookies - are temporary, and can be manually deleted at any time by the User. They cannot be deleted or manipulated programmatically by external applications. The Trick that nasty apps play is to hook the user into make a choice and allowing particular scripts to execute, to have access to the Operating System. That can only be achieved through human interaction.

Ever see popups that say "Click here to see more!" ??
Or "Let us clean your system!"
"FREE Software!"

Man if it's free, that's the first signal to back away.

So like clockwork, I regularly purge my cookies. I rarely use my real email address, instead opting for aliases. I also use a little known published featured called "The Hosts file" which allows me to block particular domains, extensions, and IP addresses of specific advertisers and spammers. This is the first key to fighting unwanted popups, ugly advertisement, and viruses.

It's like the old habit: If you own a car, it's cheapest to maintain it yourself. Better if you can repair it. Same with computers: Know how to maintain your system, better if you can fix it. At least - that's the way I operate.

Life is just a puzzle waiting to be figured out. 8)
Play safe, Be proactive. KF

Think that Alexa [Bot], Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] are robots? Also called spiders. The search engines have spiders that crawl around on the internet and remember all the words they read. When a human is searching for words the search engines know where to find those words. http://www.google.com/ is a search engine.

Type chicken foot ladder into Google. I am number one because I typed the words chicken foot ladder on this forum.

with iexp i have to delete cookies in the 'temporary internet files' in addition to the 'cookies' folder.
why even have a separate cookies folder? :roll:

also in the 'cookies' folder is a hidden 'index.dat' file that's undeleteable even when unhidden.
it's an ever growing ascii file that contains all the cookies that i have ever had, current & deleted.
the only way i've been able to delete 'index.dat' is thru DOS & it promptly reappears next windows login as an empty file to start the process over again.
have fun.

Kingfish said:
Man if it's free, that's the first signal to back away
like with free public vaccination.

etriker said:
How do the members Google [Bot] and Majestic-12 [Bot] log in and what do they do with their cookies ?
E-S considers Majestic-12 to be logged in when a browser browses E-S with its User Agent string set to a value known to be used by Majestic-12 such as "Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MJ12bot/v1.2.4; http://www.majestic12.co.uk/bot.php?+)" When Majestic-12 accesses E-S there's only a style_cookie set, no phpbb3_mdkp5_u or phpbb3_mdkp5_sid which probably represent an E-S user ID and session ID. I assume E-S works the same way for the other bots.

I'm too lazy right now to read the whole thread, but I can tell you this: never fear the Sphere.

This site is the least commercial website in existence. Okay, that's stretching it, but seriously: We don't mess with each other. We are only here to help each other, and anyone who gets too commercial gets busted quickly.

See the history of this site (especially over the last couple years) for more info.

Or better yet: Buy the site and look for advertisers. You'll enjoy that experience. ;)

The bottom line on Endless Sphere is this: Trust us or screw off.

I know that sounds harsh, but it's true. The guys here at Endless-Sphere will give you a college-level education for free.

Don't mess that up.

MikeFairbanks said:
I'm too lazy right now to read the whole thread, but I can tell you this: never fear the Sphere.

This site is the least commercial website in existence. Okay, that's stretching it, but seriously: We don't mess with each other. We are only here to help each other, and anyone who gets too commercial gets busted quickly.

See the history of this site (especially over the last couple years) for more info.

Or better yet: Buy the site and look for advertisers. You'll enjoy that experience. ;)

The bottom line on Endless Sphere is this: Trust us or screw off.

I know that sounds harsh, but it's true. The guys here at Endless-Sphere will give you a college-level education for free.

Don't mess that up.

I guess you should have read the whole thread. It is more about the study of how forum websites work.

Can you think of any other forum that would answer these questions ? :)

I don't know what any of that means (what you wrote about bots and such), but I'm not really afraid of the internet anymore because the bottom line is that someone would have to be absolutely fearless to actually hunt me down and try something. I have dogs (mean dogs), live at the end of a one-way mile-long road, and in a subdivision with one-way roads, a culdesac in which I'm the least armed of them all (and I'm not unarmed), and on top of that our police force is psycho-fast. They respond in less than five minutes on average (seriously).

In fact, my only worry is that the cops and paramedics show up faster than the human body can bleed out, because I don't want the robber/stalker/jerk/troll to have a story to tell.

I have perfect eyesight, a steady hand, and a spotless criminal record.

What's there to fear?

Does E.S. sell this info collected from members computers ?
Yes. The question is how many pennies they can earn from doing it. The last I heard is 3 pennies per year per member with more than 10,000 posts, and 1 penny from the rest. Why hasn't anyone brought this illegal practice up is a mystery to me. You're doing the right thing. Do you have plan to get the Attorney General Office involved?

MikeFairbanks said:
I don't know what any of that means (what you wrote about bots and such), but I'm not really afraid of the internet anymore because the bottom line is that someone would have to be absolutely fearless to actually hunt me down and try something. I have dogs (mean dogs), live at the end of a one-way mile-long road, and in a subdivision with one-way roads, a culdesac in which I'm the least armed of them all (and I'm not unarmed), and on top of that our police force is psycho-fast. They respond in less than five minutes on average (seriously).

In fact, my only worry is that the cops and paramedics show up faster than the human body can bleed out, because I don't want the robber/stalker/jerk/troll to have a story to tell.

I have perfect eyesight, a steady hand, and a spotless criminal record.

What's there to fear?

I was allowed to final test computer boards that went in subs for the Navy.

I can pass all kinds of checks.

I find computers interesting and am able to be somewhat in control of what they do.

Computers and even working on big screen tvs wIth 30kv does not scare me. :)

(I have much respect for the 30kv though)

I ride ebikes in Tampa Bay. Surely I do not live in fear ! :)

bots and cookies are 2 separate animals.

the phpBB admin control panel allows you to specify what search engines can index your database for search results, and the admin can allow or prevent the bots from giving search results from some sections ( like OTD for example, only registered and logged in members can see it, and google does not search results from it )

the cookies part, is a normal part of using the internet, makes your life as an end user, simpler, you can download browsers that do not use cookes, or flash, or any ad-ons, but they make friendly browsing a hassle to most normal people.

some uber paranoid humans love to make their lives complicated and give themselves a false sense of security.

SamTexas said:
Does E.S. sell this info collected from members computers ?
Yes. The question is how many pennies they can earn from doing it. The last I heard is 3 pennies per year per member with more than 10,000 posts, and 1 penny from the rest. Why hasn't anyone brought this illegal practice up is a mystery to me. You're doing the right thing. Do you have plan to get the Attorney General Office involved?

Someone sells it and gets paid ? It costs money to run all those spiders and collect that info ?

That's what I heard. It's a complicate scheme. The FBI usually have a team of experts working on case like this and it takes months before they gather sufficient evidence. It's definitely not a job for a lone hacker. You might want to get in touch with the proper authority.

it's target marketing, google gets paid by companies to display ads from google searches ( you don't expect google to provide you with a killer search engine, apps, etc etc etc for free do you ? )

in turn, companies can get their advertising out to the public for cheap, websites owners can register for adsense and drop a few lines of code, google links like minded companies to users who search for certain key words.

no sense in showing car sales to someone googling for pencils..... and that's that. google rakes in millions in advertising fees, website owners get pennies, and end users who pay zero for their use of services get to look at these ads, whatever percentage of us who manage to click on one of these ads and buys something, have created the monster that is the internet.

SamTexas said:
That's what I heard. It's a complicate scheme. The FBI usually have a team of experts working on case like this and it takes months before they gather sufficient evidence. It's definitely not a job for a lone hacker. You might want to get in touch with the proper authority.

From what I heard on the news the NSA let Snowden have all the info and he gave it all to the Russians and China ?

So get over it ! It's all out there about you ! :)

Back