Do bicycles have targets painted on them or are we invisible

Well, you did get knocked the f--k out, as they say in the Friday movies. Any kind of helmet might have helped with that.

When I had my good crash I crushed the whole side of the helmet in, and could have easily been killed striking my temple on the curb corner. So at least wear a regular bike helmet. I bet next time you do whatever it takes to not land face first.

One reason I keep messing up shoulders is I twist and land on them all the time. It's an instinct now from all the skiing.

You know, I was entirely honest about my entire incident. I fully admitted that I should have been wearing protective gear. I wanted everyone to know exactly what happened so they could prepare for their inevitable wreck. I am going to be purchasing protective gear. I am now an advocate of it, in fact.

The vast majority of the comments here have actually been helpful and I truly appreciate it. If I want to add some levity to MY thread, I will. When I joked with the paramedics on the way to the hospital, they joked in return. It was a warm moment.

I don't need comments such as
You can joke around all you want. But what happened to you is no JOKE, you should know that more than anyone.
As if I had not realized what could have happened.

I DO very much appreciate his comments he made afterward as well as a picture of a reasonable full face bicycle helmet (which I had never seen), although I am still leaning toward a motorcycle helmet, because I know they work from my motocross days.

Our sport here is a fun sport with what I think are fun people. Let's keep it fun. Offer good advice. Joke around.

Example: A friend of mine asked me how swollen my face was, so I sent him a picture of a Shar-pei puppy. He had a good laugh.

FA

Hi, all! I'm on the scooter but still, the risk of being hit is pretty much same... What I do, I run the LED blinkers all the time, especially in the night and same suggest to all of you folks on two wheels!

Yes.

I guess blinking lights would get people's attention regardless of the time of day!

FA

Floont said:

I don't need comments such as
You can joke around all you want. But what happened to you is no JOKE, you should know that more than anyone.
As if I had not realized what could have happened.

I DO very much appreciate his comments he made afterward as well as a picture of a reasonable full face bicycle helmet (which I had never seen), although I am still leaning toward a motorcycle helmet, because I know they work from my motocross days.

Our sport here is a fun sport with what I think are fun people. Let's keep it fun. Offer good advice.

You have my apologies that I did not :lol: at you attempt at levity. I guess pictures can be deceiving.....you look much older lying there covered in blood than you comments would indicate, sonny boy!

Sheriff Jon said:
...You have my apologies that I did not :lol: at you attempt at levity. I guess pictures can be deceiving.....you look much older lying there covered in blood than you comments would indicate, sonny boy!
I seem to have over-reacted. Pain and meds will do that to you, although that's no excuse. My apologies to you. You offered good advice and even did some research and embedded some good pictures for me. Thank you!

FA

PS BTW, I'm 52. I don't know how old I look lying on the ground in the picture, but the woman that found me and called 911, told them I was 18 or 19! I guess bicycling gives you that "ageless look". :eek:

Damn, sorry to see you had an accident, hope no permanent injuries.

I agree that it's both target and invisible as some people have mentioned. I've had close calls from both. I recently got cut off in the bike lane and went over the guys hood. Guy said he didn't see me. My fault too for getting complacent. Had a banged up knee and shoulder that are OK now but I really tweaked my right wrist and may eventually need surgery to regain full use.

Bike was virtually unscathed. Had a bent peddle that I replaced and a few scratches but still runs fine. I rode the bike the rest of the way to work and then put my hand in a bucket of ice water to help with the swelling.

I was wearing fingerless leather gloves, long sleeve dress shirt, and dress pants, tennis shoes and a full face helmet.

Gary

Ouch, that looks nasty for sure. Yes, we are mostly invisible but now and then have the targets you mention. Had a similar experience a few weeks back ended up on the front wheel balancing for a couple seconds before the rear came back down. I was inches from the van that cut me off. Several cars on the road were honking their horn expect it was at the van. Best wishes in your full recovery and yes I will be purchasing a full-face helmet soon. As far as the pick up is concerned if there is anything I have learned in this life it is what goes around comes around and usually, it’s worse than what I would have given out had I had the chance.

yopappamon said:
Floont said:
, told them I was 18 or 19! I guess bicycling gives you that "ageless look". :eek: [/size]
Maybe she thought who would ride without a helmet but a young kid? :shock:...
Ha ha. That is funny. Thanks for the joke!

When I grew up (40 years ago), I don't think they had bike helmets. Of course, there were no seat-belt laws, you could drink in your car, and you could actually talk your way out of a ticket. Times have changed.

FA

:?: :?: :?:
Folks:

Where do I purchase a full face helmet like the one that Sheriff Jon has shown?

FA

Floont said:
:?: :?: :?:
Folks:

Where do I purchase a full face helmet like the one that Sheriff Jon has shown?

FA

Here is a link to various MTB full face Helmets, including the Met Parachute.

http://content.mtbr.com/cat/mtb-apparel-and-protection/full-face/PLS_6705crx.aspx

Sheriff Jon said:
...Here is a link to various MTB full face Helmets, including the Met Parachute.
http://content.mtbr.com/cat/mtb-apparel-and-protection/full-face/PLS_6705crx.aspx
I am truly astounded at what is available for the enthusiast community! I had no idea all this stuff was even available. Kevlar gloves?!? - amazing. When someone said "body armor" earlier in this thread, I thought they were joking around. They're not! There's stuff out there that almost matches the "Iron Man" costume in that recent movie.

Thanks a bunch!

If and when I over-volt my x5304 to 120v (soon, I hope), I should be pushing 60MPH. I'd better have some of this kind of apparel on. I mean look what 20MPH did to me.

FA

Those are some really kewl helmets, but I really prefer a decent MX helmet because they are stronger, cheaper AND if you go down on a fancy helmet with all those vents built in, your likely to get additional injuries due to "torsional" forces that act on your head and neck when one of those vents catches on part of the tree, car or ground that you land on.

I personally have had amazing luck at my local goodwill store.

Corporate donations/tax write-offs brought in by businesses are often new and less than you would pay on-line, and then you don't need to pay shipping!

WnxSRX3SftRdBk.jpg

http://www.extremesupply.com/winexhelmets/winexhelmetssrx3.html

DOT is just a legal requirement, but a helmet that is SNELL approved, that's something you can REALLY depend on saving your life.

When I raced motorcycles very briefly, I smashed a couple lids on the track, and I never suffered any injuries even though by all rights I should have, but I NEVER scrimped on helmet quality, however, you can find good deals locally at a motorcycle shop that gets factory seconds (cosmetic "defects" a blim in the paint, or a drip, and now a $400 helmet costs $100-$200!!!)

I got my helmet just like the one on that website except red and different red pain for $60-$70 new in the box at goodwill.

As far as safety gear, I wear a "crossing guard" sash of retro-reflective orange over whatever shirt I am wearing so then I am covered. I also have a strobeing head-light, blinking read tail like on my bike and back-pack.

Even with all this, I have still had to blast a woman who almost crossed in front of me from the left (she just never saw me) with my air-horn and from the look on her face, I know she just never saw me at all. Later that day I realized I had forgotten to turn on my head-light!!

I use my strobeing head-light day and night, and I have found that even people with phones or I-pods growing out of their ears walking on a bike path will see that even if I am coming from behind.

I also have had the good fortune of getting a "ding-ding" bell with my new Muddyfox, so unless your about to pull out in front of me, and I am just trying to make sure you know I am there, I will use it at almost every intersection where I feel it's needed, and my air horn is a great "air brake" that seems to freeze them in their tracks. :twisted:

All this being said, the BEST helmet for you is the one you will wear, so if having the lighter down-hill helmet will get you wearing it, go for it!

**** EDIT **** I wanted to mention too that I have been to Portland OR's big Down-hill MTB store, Fat Tire Farm, tried on all their full face helmets, and they really were not any lighter than my MX helmet, save the money, buy a real MX helmet! It's going to be tougher, more durable, and really not any heavier unless you go for REALLY cheap ones. I have also seen a MX helmet that had a face-shield much like a street bike helmet, but then you still have the extra venting a MX helmet has over the street ones that are heavier and don't breath well.

Welcome fellow e-biker! Hope you have a speedy recovery. I am glad to hear that this does not scare you off from your daredevil plans. Had a 40 mph wreck myself a couple months back. I do not wear a helmet when I ride motorcycle but was glad when I had a motorcycle half helmet on when I crashed my e-bike. It saved my head. I wouldn't wear a full face helmet because so many are getting broken clavicles when in an accident from the helmet. But we all have our own preferences and I hope we still can make our own minds up on what we want to wear without governments interference. Now lets talk about the home front... Is your woman trying to ban you from e-biking? Is she going to give you a spanking? Do you have a new life insurance policy? Do you have to wear a jock cup now? Do you need a jason hockey mask now? Did you have on clean underwear before, during, and after? Is it going to hurt to laugh? Could LiPo be considered part of a first aid kit to cortorize wounds? Considering the number of digits you have remaining on both hands, which finger or number of fingers come to mind when thinking of this accident? When thinking about my questions? When thinking about e-biking? When thinking about your pain meds? When thinking about your momma? And finally...Do my words here run up or down hill and at what speed? Are those pain meds really working or are they just posers. What if anything would you...?

I would put front and rear blinky lights as more important than bicycle helmets as long as your on a legal ebike. Theres tens of millions of bicycle commuters in europe but not a single helmet, however lights at night are MANDATORY, and their benefit is almost as great during the day.
They are also strongly recomended by the googles number 1 bicycle safety site: http://www.google.com/search?q=bicy...s=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a

Or instead of a bicycle helmet, some kind of motorcycle helmet would be a great idea, and a must if your gonna go much faster than 20mph.

Hopefully all this can help you get back on the road safely. I also hope the recovery is going well... any updates?

LI-ghtcycle said:
I have also seen a MX helmet that had a face-shield much like a street bike helmet, but then you still have the extra venting a MX helmet has over the street ones that are heavier and don't breath well.

This is what I wear whenever I ride my gas scooter, or my Electric scooter at night. I also have a good Bell X-Ray bicycle Helmet that I wear on my Electric during the day.

Attachments

• 27107_4.jpg
    27107_4.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 863
Hi Guys,

When I'm driving my bike, ebike or motorcycle I just have one rules in mind and it's always the same "think that you are invisible for every one else that's it!"

To be more visible during daylight one of my choices this was to open my 1800 lumens headlight and most of the people are seeing me better than when my lights were off. And both rides I'm wearing exactly the same clothes. Clothes and helmet didn't help you to be more visible on ebike and it's based on my own experiences.

Floont:

A motorcycle helmet is required for any motor going over 30 Mph. Many times this summer by stupidity I was wearing only a bike helmet and speed up my ebike to 55 Mph with my X5304 and at that speed the wind noise is really hard in ears.

It's my 2 cent's, I hope you heal quickly, good day!
Black Arrow

BlackArrow said:
...think that you are invisible for every one else...
Great advice!

BlackArrow said:
...A motorcycle helmet is required for any motor going over 30 Mph...
What State or Country do you live in?

In Florida, there is a strong motorcycle lobby and we have no mandatory helmet law. There is no mandatory helmet law for adult bicyclists in this State, either. However, if there is an accident with injuries and the cyclist was not wearing a helmet, the court will take that into account as a mitigating circumstance and any award to the cyclist will be adjusted considerably lower due to the cyclist's willful negligence for his own safety. My doctor is a lawyer too and he told me this today.

FA

LI-ghtcycle said:
...As far as safety gear, I wear a "crossing guard" sash of retro-reflective orange over whatever shirt I am wearing so then I am covered. I also have a strobing head-light, blinking read tail like on my bike and back-pack...

I use my strobing head-light day and night, and I have found that even people with phones or I-pods growing out of their ears walking on a bike path will see that even if I am coming from behind...
Where can you purchase these strobe head and tail lights from?

FA

Floont said:
Where can you purchase these strobe head and tail lights from?

FA

Most any bicycle shop will have an assortment of inexpensive ($14-$30) clip on tail lights with strobe feature. I like the Viewpoint Flashpoint Ultra from Performance bike. It is just as bright as the $30 Planet Bike light at half the cost (now on sale)

http://www.performancebike.com

Most all of the rechargeable headlights avaliable now have a blinking mode. Niterider makes very good headlights and have a couple of new self contained models (150 and 250 Lumens) that are USB rechargeable. They are not cheap at over $100, but they are small, easy to put on and off, are easily charged using a USB port or a wall outlet and would be bright enough to not only see where you are going at night, but let others see you even in the daytime using the blinking mode.

http://www.niterider.com

Evoforce said:
...Is your woman trying to ban you from e-biking?
Trying, unsuccessfully.
Evoforce said:
Is she going to give you a spanking?
Gee, I hope so!
Evoforce said:
Do you have a new life insurance policy?
Yes.
Evoforce said:
Do you have to wear a jock cup now?
Nope.
Evoforce said:
Do you need a jason hockey mask now?
Great idea!
Evoforce said:
Did you have on clean underwear before, during, and after?
Yes, yes and no.
Evoforce said:
Is it going to hurt to laugh?
No. Surprisingly not.
Evoforce said:
Could LiPo be considered part of a first aid kit to cortorize wounds?
Perhaps.
Evoforce said:
Considering the number of digits you have remaining on both hands, which finger or number of fingers come to mind when thinking of this accident?
Two.
Evoforce said:
When thinking about my questions?
One.
Evoforce said:
When thinking about e-biking?
Two.
Evoforce said:
When thinking about your pain meds?
One thumb facing up.
Evoforce said:
When thinking about your momma?
Died 29 years ago, so none.
Evoforce said:
And finally...Do my words here run up or down hill and at what speed?
Both, after the oxycodone; varying velocities.
Evoforce said:
Are those pain meds really working or are they just posers.
Hell, yes they work!
Evoforce said:
What if anything would you...?
Name the place and the time.

Back