• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Does anyone attempt to waterproof their hub motors?

fill

100 W
So I am a newbie ebike rider (first kit installed - UK road legal 250w pedal assisted limited to 15mph rer hub motor (YOSE - rebranded befang i think)

IN the UK we have a fair bit of regular rain in advance of buying the kit i googled hub motors and found pics of water damaged examples. This led me to find utubes of scooter motors being drilled in the end caps to allow any water that gets in to drain away and conformal coating of coils exposed steel and magnets.

Whats the accepted wisdom when only ridding when sunny isnt an option??

The DD hubmotors do pretty well in the wet (I also am in a rain-heavy area). Attempting to waterproof them is folly, as the harder you try, humidity still finds its way in, unable to exit.

Even if you managed to seal up all the holes, the motor heating/cooling expansion/contraction cycles will draw in moisture-laden air thru the wires themselves and eventually condense on the motor interior surfaces.

My chain requires much more maintenance than the dd hub, riding continuously thru the wet seasons.

The DD hubmotors do pretty well in the wet (I also am in a rain-heavy area). Attempting to waterproof them is folly, as the harder you try, humidity still finds its way in, unable to exit.

Even if you managed to seal up all the holes, the motor heating/cooling expansion/contraction cycles will draw in moisture-laden air thru the wires themselves and eventually condense on the motor interior surfaces.

My chain requires much more maintenance than the dd hub, riding continuously thru the wet seasons.
Many thanks.. as a total newbie to everything ev i have a lot to learn, my hub is geared not DD its the most basic 250w type still of value to me however.

I started down the ferrofluid rabbit hole last night hence my confidence in owning a geared hub :)

I will just spray a liberal coat of water displacer every now and then and try to park and keep the bike in the dry..

Back