• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Does anyone know if I can use the Alltrax Axe 7234 at 96v?

MasonSteele

100 µW
It's 48-72 rated 90v max. I'm wondering what might happen if I run 96 volts through it. bad things? Should I stick with 72? It's mated to ADC 6.89 inch motor good for 100 volts or so.

If you open up your controller, you should be able to get an idea of how high you can push it by the size of the capacitors used.
Clearly @ 96v, any capacitors less than 100v aren't going to cut it.

It will definitely peak well above 100. I'm going to run 72 to be safe for now, and I'll open up the controller if I need more speed. Right now I'm running 48 and it's just not doing it for me at 40-45 mph. Thanks for the help.

I had a few models of those controllers, both the 7234 and the 7245. Download the literature and read up on the Controller Pro software. Those controllers might run out of the box, but really you have to set up an RS232 connection and run the Controller Pro software from a PC with a serial port. It's not like you can just run a higher voltage and hope for the best. The software has upper voltage cutoff limits that are 90V, period. It's software, not hardware, that governs. Also the default voltage limits from the factory are set lower than the maximum. If exceeded, the controller will simply throw a fault code and shut down. These limits can't be hacked that I am aware of. If you haven't run the software, you may be able to get more speed by setting the current limits higher instead. That controller is only rated for 200A for 5 minutes, which isn't a lot. If you need more current, you could switch to the 7245.

The other detail you should probably know of is that the controller is fully potted with epoxy. They are very durable and fairly water resistant because of this. Remember that little sticker on your TV? "No user serviceable parts inside"? It's totally like that.

Don't forget that your charge voltage is the controlling factor on your pack. Example, if you have like 6 SLAs at 12V nominal, float voltage is around 13.2v each for a pack voltage of 79.2V. You'll only be able to use 6 batteries, not 7.

Good luck

I have an AXE 7245 with a 22 cell li-po pack 60 amp. The controller will turn on for a split second and then shut down when fully charged. So I charge my cells to 4.10 volts per cell. Works great!!

shawn_1976 said:
I have an AXE 7245 with a 22 cell li-po pack 60 amp. The controller will turn on for a split second and then shut down when fully charged. So I charge my cells to 4.10 volts per cell. Works great!!

So, your pack hot off the charger is 90V, right at the limit. That's exactly what to expect.

Back