• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Does LiFePo4 18650 risk exploding if used while wasted?

Still a bit unsure of that result because IMAX B6 is rubbish;

But I think that the string will not revive. :(
It does charge at 3.36v and somewhat hold it but capacity and IR seem really bad even at 1A discharge.

Every other strings are holding 3.6v really good.

For now I will think of what will be the next step. Here are some options :

1. Screw the BMS and charger. Buy a nice charger that will be good for other project (3010b or fatboy 8 ). Remove defective string and split pack into 7s and 8s.
2. Remove string and try to hack charger/bms down for 15s. Time consuming but free. (Seen a thread for charger I think, Still no idea how to do this for a BMS)
3. Check if any good cell on this string. Replace the cells with some replacement cells from china. Not a fan of this option. I don't like those small batteries and I dont really want more.

Any other option I didn't think of here???

Happy test ride this morning, feeling was soooo good because my leg hurt from pedaling to work :p

I tricked the little B6 to charge the "bad" string to 3.7v with the LiPo storage mode. Didn't go past 3.36 in LiFe charge mode :x

Discharged again, charged to 3.7v and let it sit couple of days.

From a little test yesterday and my ride today I think that everything is now back to normal !! 3.16v for all the strings after this ride!

Still don't know the root cause; will investiguate bms balancing issue and monitor voltage.

Thanks everybody for your time; really great to have your opinion. I could have ruined my battery by doing something stupid otherwise :oops:

if it will not charge up beyond 3.36V on balance mode then the cell has a very high self discharge rate from being damaged. if you use a BMS it needs to have a higher balancing current than the self discharge rate of that row.

Back