Donor bike decision: Electra, Sikk or Micargi?

kauaicycler

Administrator
I've decided that I want a fat tire beach cruiser as a donor bike. I've narrowed my choices down to these three brands Electra, Sikk and Micargi. Here are the models I'm looking at.

The Electra and the Sikk are priced similarly so I'm wondering if the Sikk has better components or build quality. The Micargi is substantially cheaper so I worry about the components and the build quality. Currently the Electra is looking like the best choice due to it being available at a LBS and has many build threads on multiple forums. I like the Micargi because of price and I like the Triple Tree Fork but better build and components are more important to me.

I'm leaning towards a 3k Mxus hub build but I'm also considering a bbshd mid drive. The Electra has build threads for all of these motors and more so that's another plus for the Electra.

I could use some help choosing between these bikes, or another bike if it's better then any of these. If all goes as planned I will be buying the bike this week.

Thanks! :)

IMO, i would go the Electra or Micargi over the Sikk due to the big frame design. With the big frame design, you can put a giant battery in there or have room for an eventual giant battery and just fill in empty space with cheap styrofoam. There is also room for a battery on top tube though many here don't do that; I do it because to me it looks cool.

3k Mxus versus a 500-1k bbshd is a huge difference in speed. With the Mxus, I am not sure if they come pre laced for a fat tire or you have to lace your own. Also, with bbshd, gotta make sure it fits your bottom bracket, which there should be an option for. Mid drives are also 10-15% more efficient especially versus a high voltage 3k hub.

In terms of components, no opinion except obviously you want good disc brakes with the biggest disc/rotor possible.

Electra for sure. because I would prefer the saddle, the chain guard, and the type of handlebars. and I have had a townie, and it was a very good quality frame.

bakaneko said:
IMO, i would go the Electra or Micargi over the Sikk due to the big frame design. With the big frame design, you can put a giant battery in there or have room for an eventual giant battery and just fill in empty space with cheap styrofoam. There is also room for a battery on top tube though many here don't do that; I do it because to me it looks cool.

3k Mxus versus a 500-1k bbshd is a huge difference in speed. With the Mxus, I am not sure if they come pre laced for a fat tire or you have to lace your own. Also, with bbshd, gotta make sure it fits your bottom bracket, which there should be an option for. Mid drives are also 10-15% more efficient especially versus a high voltage 3k hub.

In terms of components, no opinion except obviously you want good disc brakes with the biggest disc/rotor possible.

The big frames are a plus. Thanks!

dogman dan said:
Electra for sure. because I would prefer the saddle, the chain guard, and the type of handlebars. and I have had a townie, and it was a very good quality frame.

I'm glad you mentioned the chain guard. Saddles and handlebars can be changed but adding a chain guard is a lot harder and something I see as required. Thanks!

I have seen the Sikk online, but I have ridden many Electra Townies and I like them a lot. I personally would get the 21D (3x7) as I like 3 crank gears, but going electric you dont really need them.

I'd go with the Electra based on known quality, parts availability and better looks.

That said, I'm liking my Jamis Hudson very much.

Back