dual 3k motors

lammy426

1 mW
ok then got an electric 3k moped scooter and thinking of putting another 3k motor on the front wheel,will it work and make it quicker i have another controller and plan on adding more batteries ,can i use 1 throttle for both controllers or will i have to get a bigger 6k controller to run both together,many thanks john

You'll have twice the torque and power, but probably not a big change in top speed. You can't run two brushless motors from the same controller, so you'll need two controllers. And the battery must be able to supply twice as much current as it does now.

Then there's the matter of not necessarily having enough traction in front to use the extra torque without causing wheelspin.

All in all, it's probably cheaper and better to get 6kW into the rear wheel than to put 3kW in each wheel. And in that case, it might be even cheaper and better to sell what you have and buy a more powerful scooter.

You'll have twice the torque and power, but probably not a big change in top speed. You can't run two brushless motors from the same controller, so you'll need two controllers. And the battery must be able to supply twice as much current as it does now.

Then there's the matter of not necessarily having enough traction in front to use the extra torque without causing wheelspin.

All in all, it's probably cheaper and better to get 6kW into the rear wheel than to put 3kW in each wheel. And in that case, it might be even cheaper and better to sell what you have a buy a more powerful scooter.

i already have the motors and controllers and can adjust the rpm on the controller and very much doubt it would spin a wheel,if i change the rear motor to 6kw or more i would need to buy a new controller aswell

It sounds like you have an answer you want already and are looking at how to implement it. By the time you’re done building this, I would expect the cost to be higher than selling off what you have and buying a 6kw rear wheel setup.

Keep in mind motors are also generators, so if you put a motor on the front wheel but dial down the power to it and the rear wheel is pushing hard you can enter a scenario where you’ll have electricity being generated from the front wheel and pushed upstream. Smarter people in this forum can talk you through the implications of that. But now because of that you’re looking at having to figure out current limits at the front wheel controller and the battery management system if you go lipo since you’re at times potentially recharging it with the front wheel since the back one is pushing harder.

Front wheel spin was a concern I had also. Having both wheels accelerating equally in a turn would give me pause. But I would seek out advice from others here too.

Another consideration is gyro forces out of the front wheel affecting turn radius and overall stability. Something to think about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Philosoraptor said:
It sounds like you have an answer you want already and are looking at how to implement it. By the time you’re done building this, I would expect the cost to be higher than selling off what you have and buying a 6kw rear wheel setup.

Keep in mind motors are also generators, so if you put a motor on the front wheel but dial down the power to it and the rear wheel is pushing hard you can enter a scenario where you’ll have electricity being generated from the front wheel and pushed upstream. Smarter people in this forum can talk you through the implications of that. But now because of that you’re looking at having to figure out current limits at the front wheel controller and the battery management system if you go lipo since you’re at times potentially recharging it with the front wheel since the back one is pushing harder.

Front wheel spin was a concern I had also. Having both wheels accelerating equally in a turn would give me pause. But I would seek out advice from others here too.

Another consideration is gyro forces out of the front wheel affecting turn radius and overall stability. Something to think about.

reading these posts think i might just try getting more go out of original rear motor ,suppose upping the voltage should give it a bit more power ,what sort of output can you get out of a 3kw motor

Philosoraptor said:
What kind of motor is it? And which controller?

i think its 3000watt hub motor or thats what it says on the logbook and ugbest 60v 45amp controller but can adjust voltage put cant up the amps it puts out

Back