E-Bike Regulations at Eurobike

LockH

1 PW
Ummm.. Started out in Victoria BC Canada, then sta
"Bike Europe/AVERE Meeting on E-Bike Regulations at Eurobike"
http://www.bike-eu.com/laws-regulat...ng-on-e-bike-regulations-at-eurobike-10127335

BRUSSELS, Belgium – The rapid growth of electric bikes in Europe and the introduction of new types crank up discussions on rules and regulations like how should these vehicles be categorized. At Eurobike, Bike Europe and AVERE, the European organization for battery, hybrid, and fuel cell electric vehicles will present an update on the latest development on e-bike regulations.

Oh oh... better get more regulations.

Room for improvement
Other researchers at the KU Leuven found that the quality of electric bicycles leaves room for improvement.

Oh. Really... per that Wiki thingee "The Katholieke Universiteit Leuven also known as KU Leuven or University of Leuven, is a Dutch-speaking university in Leuven, Flanders, Belgium."

LockH said:
"A full house today (yesterday) at the Bike Europe - AVERE Conference on the latest developments in e-bike regulations.":
http://www.bike-eu.com/laws-regulat...type-approval-at-eurobike-conference-10127483

Interesting. I shall note though, that each country still makes it"s own laws, no matter what the EU says. "common EU laws" are more like recommendation.
Example in Finland we have our own e-bike law, which differs from those EU-laws. Type approval is not required for over 250W e-bikes. Which is very good.
This is a great thread, keep going.

Hey, non-Eskimo, non-Sami Guy... (I'm typical Euro Mongrol-type w/I suspect "north"/Scandinavian flavours.) I think it was that Roman (Italian) Guy Jules (Caesar) that is quoted as saying "divide and conquer"... referring to winning fights against... "foreigners"?

Anyway... In "ebike terms", kinda unfortunate maybe to have all these different "religions" (laws)... If ya can't succeed in business? No problem, there's always politics... where ya can promise them anything... yer either "ruling" party or "opposition" party (smaller offices, but paid for by someone else anyway... the "voter"). And these daze (used to be that "money makes the world go `round") seems like fear and ignorance "rules". Isn't that 20th-century horseless carriage ("car" for short) lovely! (Too bad if does so much property damage. And injures and kills millions of animals - many human - every year. Oh well.)

And now folks like the Germans and Austrians and Swiss pushing for their "speed" pedelecs/wattEVer (are there still big hills in Switzerland?) Quote voters/politicians: "Something new? Better regulate THAT!" "Gotta tax THAT, surely!"

In my own life (in north America), to use an analogy for ebikes perhaps, back in the 1970's was fighting for "acceptance" for a "new tech" (that folks of the pacific islands had used for centuries) of "multihulled" sailboats. (A boat with no keel? Is that even possible???)

Anyway... Re ebikes/electric traction using motors and energy stored using chemical cells... I'm already satisfied the technology works. (Works Great! For shorter distances in urban environments.) But the "politics"? Terrible! All mixed up! Like the different human languages.

So I watch Europe from afar, hoping you folks (somehow) can "get your act together" as far as vehicles and transportation is concerned. Our neighbours to the south here in those "united" states are also all chopped up politically. Canada, same thing. Federal laws with separate provincial laws that let smaller cities "tailor" local... "variances".

[Sigh]

LockH said:
Hey, non-Eskimo, non-Sami Guy... (I'm typical Euro Mongrol-type w/I suspect "north"/Scandinavian flavours.) I think it was that Roman (Italian) Guy Jules (Caesar) that is quoted as saying "divide and conquer"... referring to winning fights against... "foreigners"?

This was hilarious :mrgreen:
I am quarter-Russian Roman god, but i think it"s rather irrelevant when it comes down to European e-bike regulations. At least for me.
I don"t know if i"m totally non-Sami, that needs genetic testing to know. I like Samis.
You funny.

Oh oh... (Getting off ES mantra re electric traction) There's videos plastered all over the WWW thingee... Sneaky humans recently figured out our deoxyribonucleic acid makeup ("DNA")... that it stores biological information about us/our ancestors. Seems like a new/growing industry based on the curious. Just one example:
[youtube]tyaEQEmt5ls[/youtube]

So, invade and conquer anywhere? Remember the Big Three? (Hint, two are pillage and burn/destroy.)

EVen, turns out, "things" have DNA. As in "trial and error"... the "stuff" that "didn't work". But that still affects us to this day... Thinking 20th-century horseless carriages here. Huge mistake by most accounts. One thing that drives our "health care industries" (hospitals, "exercise clubs", cemeteries) today.

Silly of me, eh? To think we might one day have a "united nations"? Oh. Waitasec...

Looking for more feedback about how that "e-bike regulations" seminar went. Expect it will be forthcoming...

"White Paper on Type-Approval Requirements for E-Bikes Available for Download"
BRUSSELS, Belgium – On 1 January 2017, the new type-approval, which includes most types of electric bicycles, enters into force. The Bike Europe White Paper which includes the latest update on the type-approval requirements for e-bikes can now be downloaded.

In 2014, Bike Europe published a White Paper on rules and regulations for electric bicycles, which included a table of all components and characteristics subject to type-approval and the corresponding requirements. However this table was incomplete and not fully correct. We have now updated the White paper with a completed and updated table.

http://www.bike-eu.com/industry-ret...s-for-e-bikes-available-for-download-10127583

Download this update here:
http://bike-eu.com.s3-eu-central-1....urope-e-bike-regulations-version-aug-2016.pdf

Back