E-longboard wishlist for 2016

haimindo

1 W
First of all I would to thank all of you for warm welcome when I joined this forum this fall, amazing community that keeps pushing the industry. Hope you can understand my Finglish-text :D

I wanted to make this thread to discuss the future of the DIY E-longboards (and scooters). Here are some things I would like to see in year 2016.

Plug'n play DIY-products
Im not that good at handcrafts and woodworks and I dont have access to special tools or chemicals that I could use in my small apartment here in Helsinki. So I wish that in 2016 we would see more all-in-one products, like dual VESC with and enclosure. So basically you could just screw the enclosure to the underside of the board and plug in the cables from the motors and battery and thats it. Of course there should be some kind of opening mechanism in the encolsure to tune the settings of VESC etc. Also I hope that we would see more competition to S.P.A.C.E-cell. My ideal product would be thin 12S battery with stable chemistry, simple charger, and protective case that I could just screw on the board and plug in to the VESC with XT90.

Community built controller (with display etc.)
I think that this is in the works already. The ideal product would have (in my mind) reliability of GT2B, cruise control option of the Nyko Kama, built in display to check battery level etc. and extra controls to change the settings of the VESC (set in the max rpm, throttle curve etc.). And of course it should look as good as okp's carbon GT2B-casing 8)

Electric longboard racing as a sport
As a Finn I really love the idea of high speed racing :twisted: There is huge potential for electric longboarding to become a sport, it just needs the attention of big sponsors and a jury to think the rules. What kind of components are accepted, should there be weight classes or power classes? What kind of competition it would be? I really think that it is just matter of time before Red Bull (or someone else) will start their own racing league.

Those were my items on the wishlist, feel free to comment my ideas and write your own wishes! I would like to thank all the people I've been in contact this year and thank for awesome parts, knowledge, builds and ideas! 8)

Your "plug and play" idea is kind of interesting. Trucks are pretty standard parts and the hole spacing for mounting them to a board is too. How hard would it be to make a universal unit where you unbolt your back trucks and bolt on a complete module? The module would include batteries, controller, receiver, trucks and motor. The front end of the module would incorporate some kind of latching mechanism that hooks around the edges of the board. The whole module would add 5 to 10 pounds to the board depending on the motor and battery specifics, but it would also be a "bolt on and go" solution.

As options you could have...
The new users module would give you 10mph on level ground and 5 miles range
The regular user module would give you 15mph and 5 miles range
The advanced user module would give you 25mph and 10 miles range
The speed demon module could be 35mph, dual motor, etc.

4 or 5 different variations on the module design would cover pretty much any type of board rider out there. None of this stuff is rocket science. I just wouldn't want to use RC motor controllers since cogging is such an issue with their software. However, that's a fairly small problem to resolve. There's plenty of small EV controllers out there that could work well and include regen braking.

Back