E-Patriot

Justtoby said:
etard said:
Pretty epic build for your first bike, I freakin love those beefy ass Orange frames. Somebody needs to make an ebike with battery storage inside the frame, but make it look as good as an Orange.

Thumbs upon the build! :twisted:

That would be a stealth bomber or fighter, they just cost a lot as they have lots of quality parts.
And how much does a Patriot retail for?
'cause here in OZ they are $4,799 http://orangebikes.com.au/bikes/patriot/patriot-2012
frame only $2,999 http://orangebikes.com.au/bikes/patriot/patriot-frame plus all the electrics and most importantly TIME. I don't know about you but I value my time. I realise the bike can be bough 2nd hand but that's not apples to oranges (pardon the pun)

It really come down to whether you want a turn-key solution with support and warranty or something you'd be proud of because it's home build.

Very nice build BTW! Post some videos once it's up and running.

icecream: Thanks for the advice. I definitely had my phase amps set too low. I don't intend going crazy with the amps anyway, performance is already good. I'm thinking I'm now more interested in seeing how far I can go, I'll keep this for throwing around and offroading. But I'm already starting to dream of a streamliner as my next project. It'll probably remain a dream for now though. Besides there's plenty of tinkering left in this project to keep me happily amused.

racerx: Glad I could be of help. I have to say it makes for a surprisingly light and sturdy construction even in wood. Now that I've done the Carbon thing I kind of wonder if I'd have been better just sealing the wood and spraying it matt black :roll: This construction method is pretty quick to put together and modify. Make sure you post pictures of yours, I'm looking forward to seeing it.

etard: Yeah I agree, I always liked the beefy look of Orange frames and the purposeful 'nose in the air' stance of the Patriot :D They're made not too far away from where I live too.

etoby/full throttle: My frame was £160 on ebay. For sure I think Stealths look great and as I already said I was influenced a little by them. But you can keep your stealths. For me its all about the adventure of doing it yourself, making mistakes and learning from them. There is nothing finer than rolling down the road on something unique that was conceived and assembled for you, by you. Buying something ready built is a bit too sterile for me. I don't have much time to myself at all, but I count this as a leisure activity anyway. If I wasn't fiddling with this it would be something else.

I got the ultimate compliment the other day. I'd just walked out of a shop and as I was pulling away I heard a little boy, maybe 7 years old, say to his Dad "Cor!!! Look at THAT bike Dad." I smiled. Women think that men build flashy bikes/cars/planes/boats to impress them, but they're wrong. We build 'em to impress 7 year old kids because its the 7 year old in me that wants to make and ride silly things like this :D

mylittlepony said:
etoby/full throttle: My frame was £160 on ebay. For sure I think Stealths look great and as I already said I was influenced a little by them. But you can keep your stealths. For me its all about the adventure of doing it yourself, making mistakes and learning from them. There is nothing finer than rolling down the road on something unique that was conceived and assembled for you, by you. Buying something ready built is a bit too sterile for me. I don't have much time to myself at all, but I count this as a leisure activity anyway. If I wasn't fiddling with this it would be something else.
Can't agree more. I've been down the same road viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15066
file.php

I wasn't criticising your build, read carefully. I think Toby's comment re: price wasn't fair.

What comment was not fair? I support the bike build and own a bomber? My point is that if you buy the parts of same quality / manufacturers etc and try to build a bike then you will have spent the same as a bomber costs.

My bomber cost £7,000

My Patriot frame cost me £170 on eBay so very close to op. I know that the running gear with batteries and motor etc will cost about £2000 the way I want to do it. This is a bit of fun and a learning curve. I may even buy a tig welder which outs the project close to fighter cost but I will have the tig forever therefore more fun on other projects.

You cannot build a competitor to a bomber with parts off the shelf and converting a mtb, but you can have fun building something with similar power.

I had never heard of a patriot before seeing this post but shortly after I did I went and bought the frame.

Chill out guys :lol: I think you've just got crossed wires. I've no issue here.

FT: I just read your build log. That Avanti is sweeeeeet. It looks stealthier than a Stealth to me. You made a really nice job of the battery mount. When I got to the end I was so disappointed you didn't finish it.

JT: You're right the costs do mount up surprisingly quickly. I like the fact you went out and bought a Patriot after seeing mine. You planning to electrify it? I'd love to see it.

Crossed wires.....lol...on an ev forum.

I think you are right, we are arguing about totally different things. Sorry to derail your ecellent thread.

You inspired me to buy one and I hope to reward with a good build!

Ok, it was a pour choice of words. And in many other contexts I wouldn't have said anything. What I mean is - Orange are way overpriced over here. The Patriot frame RRP same as Giant Glory2 complete bike, with far more advanced suspension design. Even the CC DB shock on the Patriot won't make up for it's single pivot in braking and pedalling. I'm glad you guys got yours for much less, there's no grounds for my argument at that price.

mylittlepony said:
That Avanti is sweeeeeet. It looks stealthier than a Stealth to me. You made a really nice job of the battery mount. When I got to the end I was so disappointed you didn't finish it.
Thanks. If the HS motor would've come out a month sooner it could've gone a different way. The battery performance was disappointing as well - should've gone with LiPo from the start.

My frame is a 2005 and yes the shock is old fashioned, I also think there are many new frame designs which are much better, plus carbon fibre etc...

I think for a cheap 2nd hand buy they are good frames for messing about with though.

I am actually thinking of cutting out the top bar on the frame and welding a double top tube to allow the battery to slip between but I am going to see if lipo can slot between first as it will run 48v for now. this is NOT going to be used for much off road so I am less worried about strength but I will over engineer more strength back in as I will be compromising the frame.

Once I have all the electrics right (with wires within frame) then I will strip it apart, shot Blast and then repaint.

Hi everyone,
Its been a while so I thought I'd upload some more recent pictures. The bike is completed and has been for a long time and I ride it regularly, I just never got around to taking some decent photos.

The battery box is no longer skinned in wood and is now carbon fibre. When I reskinned the box I took the opportunity to make it a little longer too.

2012-07-25-238.jpg

2012-07-25-239.jpg

2012-07-25-237.jpg

I've fitted a Hope M4 brake to the rear which matches the front and added a button underneath the rear brake lever which activates the regen. Regen is cool, I use it exclusively at high speeds and only really use the disc brakes for the final stop. What I have noticed too is that the regen is effectively an anti lock braking system since as the wheel slows the regen braking effort is diminished - at least so far I haven't been able to induce a skid using it.

2012-07-25-237%2520-%2520Copy.jpg

Finally I fitted a CycleAnalyst but have still to hook up the speedometer input.

Removing the batteries to charge them 6s at a time is a pain so I bought a 800W 18s charger from BMS battery but I'm yet to pluck up the courage to try it! And that's about it really. Oh I reduced rear preload a little which has improved the ride no end and also had the happy effect of causing the front wheel to lift when I gun the throttle at low speed :shock: The bike runs great and is an absolute blast to ride, it is fast, stable at speed, corners like a motorbike and range is good :D

So future mods will include adding a charging socket so I can use the big charger. Hooking up the speedometer input to the CA and possibly trying the Throttle current function out. Perhaps a grille on the front of the battery box if I can figure out a neat way to do it.

I haven't lost interest in EVs, just moved on to my next project the E-Tractor which is now pretty much completed and working very well :D So now the tractor is up and running I'll likely turn my attention back to the E-Patriot..... at least until the next EV project occurs to me - maybe the next bike will be for the wife.

Electric vehicles rock!

atb,
Dave

Back