Ebike/Moped/scooter LEGAL Hybrid

'Legal' with a 'wink-wink'. :wink:

No way are you gonna move a 44 kg vehicle plus rider & batts to 20 mph in 5 sec on 500W. You can redesign the magnets all you want, aint gonna happen. Enjoy it while you can b4 the crackdown begins. :(

Lessss said:
Trust me it ain't doing it in 5 seconds.

Don't have to trust you, I trust Sir Issac Newton! :lol:
Just to be clear, that figure comes from the e-ride link.

Its motor is uniquely built with oversized rare earth magnets, which increases the torque and efficiency within the same 500W power.
You can feel this when you start - it accelerates for 5 seconds to 32km/h.

The magnets are oversized cuz the motor is over one horsepower.
Here's another 'wink-wink' entry.

Performance*

40-60 km range based on flat and 80kg load
32 km/hr based on flat and 80kg load
Climbing ability: 20 degrees
Torque: 90 NM

*Upgrades possible

Upgrading the performance is simple when it's been downgraded in the first place. If it's supposedly an ebike, why need signal lights? Everything about it screams moped, including the weight coming under the 55 kg limit. It sez it has pedals, but they don't show in any of the pix.

Saw a piece on the Mannesbridge news (that's the CBC network, or mothercorp for anyone tuning in from outside Canada) earlier in the week about Vancouver's green approach to city planning. A priority system governing the city's layout & traffic control has been in place for the past 20 years. Access to pedestrians is given top priority, followed by bikes, public transit, & almost no consideration given to providing cars efficient routes.

While ebikes & escooters weren't mentioned specifically, I think it's safe to assume it would be right up there with conventional bikes. So it wouldn't surprise me that the police may have been told to not aggresively pursue this kind of soft infraction.

But that won't last forever it they start showing up on the street in large number. All it would take to change the situation is a few collisions, especially something well publicized involving a granny or baby stroller (think of the children!) & the backlash could queer the deal for us all.

The legislators absolutely knew that people would mod for more power, don't kid yourself. They're smarter than what people give them credit for, which is probably why they made the limit so restrictive in the first place. Inferring a little from the Canada Gazette piece it sounded like the government would have been okay with 750W, maybe even 45 kph. But if it were written in stone, people would be looking to blast past that limit.

Be happy with getting away with exceeding the power & speed as it is. But for gods sakes, don't be going around thumbing your nose at them in something this blatant. You can't have it all your way & it's more of a challenge, as well as more satisfying to keep it stealthy.

it sounded like the government would have been okay with 750W, maybe even 45 kph. But if it were written in stone, people would be looking to blast past that limit.

Ridiculous!!! I don't know anybody who'd do that!

:D

(actually, I know only one person here who wouldn't: Safe. And we've almost successfully convinced him otherwise)

I rode a Bionix 36 volt Lithium ebike yesterday.It felt like riding my own ebike at 36 volts in second gear (locked up 1 to 1 hub ratio) it weighed about the same.= aprox 65 lbs.The acceleation for the small 350 hub motor was un belivable for 350 watts.? It was definately dipping into 700 watt territory! How efficient it was at was my thoughts but it was nice and smooth with enough power.
The adverse thoughts were the controll module that costs a $1000. to replace could be so eaisly damaged in any kind of bike fall over.The dealer was on the phone to Bionix because the Lithium pack would not charge up all the way and would cut out after a few miles.The tiny 9ah lithium was way over priced at $1200. or so but you can send them back within a years time.The dealer was in the process of doing just that.
A much better solution to the controll module would be a $500. Sevcon controller that is completely programable for all functions to 5000 watts of contionus power.I would love to test that little hub motor at 1.5 Kw to see how it performs at 48 volts with a real controller.To see the watt draw above 350 watts would be interesting.One neat feature is that this little hub motor had ZERO dectictable cogging while freespinning.
The only thing I question is the efficiency at 700 + watts, relibably of the Lithiums and the BIG price.
http://www.greenspeed.us/bionx_motor_bike_kit.htm

Our servents at work. The Dot that wrote this letter suggested this ebike law that was already LAW.NOT making bicycles pedal power ONLY!
Segway comming in Changed that. Now the DOT says that a bill needes to be introduced. How about giving them back there original bill ? LOL And ADDING allowance for this vehicle ?

"Motorized bicycle" means a device with two tandem wheels
11 that is propelled both by human power and by an internal
12 combustion engine or a battery powered motor. If battery
13 powered, it has a maximum of 1500 watts (2 horsepower); if
14 powered by an engine it has no more than 2 horsepower (50 cc),
15 an automatic transmission, and a maximum design speed of not
16 more than 25 mph on a flat surface unassisted by human power.
http://tinyurl.com/pz6qr

I'm tempted to get a Aero and put a lithium powerd Brushless E-tek on it with a 5 Kw Sevcon controller. No Officer Its a pedal power Only! LOL :D

Attachments

• Letter.jpg
    Letter.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 2,059
  • let1.jpg
    let1.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 1,303
  • surf-rider-01.jpg
    surf-rider-01.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 2,053
EbikeMaui said:
I rode a Bionix 36 volt Lithium ebike yesterday.It felt like riding my own ebike at 36 volts in second gear (locked up 1 to 1 hub ratio) it weighed about the same.= aprox 65 lbs.The acceleation for the small 350 hub motor was un belivable for 350 watts.? It was definately dipping into 700 watt territory! How efficient it was at was my thoughts but it was nice and smooth with enough power.
The adverse thoughts were the controll module that costs a $1000. to replace could be so eaisly damaged in any kind of bike fall over.The dealer was on the phone to Bionix because the Lithium pack would not charge up all the way and would cut out after a few miles.The tiny 9ah lithium was way over priced at $1200. or so but you can send them back within a years time.The dealer was in the process of doing just that.
A much better solution to the controll module would be a $500. Sevcon controller that is completely programable for all functions to 5000 watts of contionus power.I would love to test that little hub motor at 1.5 Kw to see how it performs at 48 volts with a real controller.To see the watt draw above 350 watts would be interesting.One neat feature is that this little hub motor had ZERO dectictable cogging while freespinning.
The only thing I question is the efficiency at 700 + watts, relibably of the Lithiums and the BIG price.

HOLY CR@P!!

Excuse me, I have to pick myself up off the floor, cuz I fell outta my chair after reading your post!

You mean to say you actually kicked the tires & tried on for size a modern ebike offering, stead of just railin agin it, sight unseen? I'm impresed that you have the capacity to learn & grow & advance & admit you were rong.

You should realize that the Bionix is (to be generous) middle of the pack, power/performance wise. Are you prepared to accept at least the possibility that an Optibike or X5 Crystalyte may have the goods to best your beast with even greater 'acceleation'? Do you think maybe your opinion on the state-of-the-ebike-art is limited by your relative isolation?

Toorbough ULL-Zeveigh said:
EbikeMaui said:

HOLY CR@P!!

Excuse me, I have to pick myself up off the floor, cuz I fell outta my chair after reading your post!

You mean to say you actually kicked the tires & tried on for size a modern ebike offering, stead of just railin agin it, sight unseen? I'm impresed that you have the capacity to learn & grow & advance & admit you were rong.

You should realize that the Bionix is (to be generous) middle of the pack, power/performance wise. Are you prepared to accept at least the possibility that an Optibike or X5 Crystalyte may have the goods to best your beast with even greater 'acceleation'? Do you think maybe your opinion on the state-of-the-ebike-art is limited by your relative isolation?
The little power that the Bionix had would go to 20mph in about 12 seconds.A far cry from 5 seconds that a 5 lb motor can do it in.In 3 weeks I'll try the latest lithium Optibike but have no great expectations for that expensive ebike as well.For 1000s less I'll kick there ass with my junk yard motors and 80 dollar huffy. lol Motor Education makes up for ebike isolation. :) The Bionix still won't make it up much of a hill.

EbikeMaui said:
Toorbough ULL-Zeveigh said:
EbikeMaui said:

HOLY CR@P!!

The little power that the Bionix had would go to 20mph in about 12 seconds.A far cry from 5 seconds that a 5 lb motor can do it in.In 3 weeks I'll try the latest lithium Optibike but have no great expectations for that expensive ebike as well.For 1000s less I'll kick there ass with my junk yard motors and 80 dollar huffy. lol Motor Education makes up for ebike isolation. :) The Bionix still won't make it up much of a hill.

hoe-kay, I'll repeat my question from a previous thread that you have chosen to ignore answering.

Why haven't you built & sold any copies of your junkyard bargain priced wunderbike in the intervening past (going on now) ten years??????

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
:? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?
:? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?

20mph in 5 seconds is still a yawn... it's like racing a Civic against a Sunfire. Yeah one is faster, but :roll:

Back