Electric car, ebikes, e-scooters vs gasser, and your health

Riddle: What is pink when you got it, grey when you used it, and black when you're done with it, lol. YOUR LUNGS.

I got rid of the best 50cc gas scooter ever made, the 2-stroke liquid-cooled (for 2X horsepower over air-cooled) Kymco Super-9. Felt like riding a jet. When I rode the Super-9 to Salt Spring Island from Vancouver, I led the pack of big motorcycles pretty much throughout, except for the hills.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kymco_Super_9

However, the gas scooter was bad for my breathing. Whenever I stopped, the exhaust fumes would "catch up" with me. I would often kill the engine 20 yards from the stop light, then restart when the light turned green again --- even though my Kmyco scooter had a catalytic convertger on its exhaust system.

Gasoline-powered cars also have exhaust fumes that "catch up" at stoplights, but we're used to these fumes, and do not smell them; except, for days like yesterday in Vancouver, with the smog/haze and the heat. I was chocking while driving. For comparison, I never chocked when I drove my conversion electric vehicle.

http://www.evalbum.com/

For the past few days, there have been a health alert from wildfires in BC. The air stinks. Whenever I stopped at a stop light, I could smell the exhaust from the vehicle beside my open car window. Had to close the window, or choke.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...dvisory-due-to-smoke-from-wildfires-1.3139265

Imo, the cost of an EV, per mile, is much costlier than a gasser.

But, my health is **priceliess**.

Without good health, life is miserable or even paintful.

Read the policy-level book, or at least the Amazon reviews of the book: LIVES PER GALLON

http://www.amazon.com/Lives-Per-Gal...d=1436464517&sr=8-1&keywords=lives+per+gallon

As an aside, imo many conversion (converted from gas) electric cars failed because of "sabotage" components like the Zivan battery charger. In my experience, having owned more than 10 electric bikes, scooters, etc, bad battery chargers, or BMS's, are the main cause of failures.

Ebike battery chargers lose their accuracy from vibration, or aging. They must be wrapped in bubble pack when moving, and tested often.

The ebike or EV wiring ends, and connectors, must be treated with contact cleaning chemicals at least every 16 months. I highly recommend the MG Chemicals Super Contact Cleaner. DeOxit is also good, but has a higher electrical resistance, based on my experience. The majority of sudden or intermittent electrical failures can be "repaired" simply with contact cleaning chemicals.

4LivesPerGallon said:
Ebike battery chargers lose their accuracy from vibration, or aging. They must be wrapped in bubble pack when moving, and tested often.

The ebike or EV wiring ends, and connectors, must be treated with contact cleaning chemicals at least every 16 months. I highly recommend the MG Chemicals Super Contact Cleaner. DeOxit is also good, but has a higher electrical resistance, based on my experience. The majority of sudden or intermittent electrical failures can be "repaired" simply with contact cleaning chemicals.

Thanks for the advices!

What do you mean with "Ebike battery chargers lose their accuracy from vibration, or aging"

Do you mean voltage, or current output?

The chargers, after vibration, no longer stop at the correct end voltage. There is a potentiometer (screw) for adjustment.

BTW, during the "old days" (1997-2003) most ebikers bought Soneil brand chargers. Expensive, but worked well, then. I don't know now.

Vibration can definitely turn the screws in any pot. I find the output current the most sensitive pot to a tiny turn of the screw.

My experience has been that chargers that don't have a pot to adjust voltage, have tended to age to a slightly lower voltage setting. Only a few tenths of a volt though, like starting out at 58v and ending up 57.5 or something like that. Not really a big deal usually.

Good connectors are needed throughout the EV, but my desert climate means they don't degrade that fast. I do like andersons that sort of self clean for chargers for sure.

When I was researching different ideas how to motorize my bicycle, I looked into liquid-cooled engines and found them to expensive.
I didnt like the sound a gasser gave off, which made riding on bicycle paths difficult at best.
I however have been pondering a small trimmer motor friction drive for city street use, and electric for stealth riding in parks etc. It will cut down on my Ah consuption.
I just have no clue what a 30cc trimmer friction drive gasser would do with a 330lb dude on a really heavy ebike. Probably just tear my bicycle tire to shreds, making me move to a traditional chain driven setup. I came up with some crazy ideas, like enclosing the engine into a sound proof wooden box, with only a hole for exhaust.

I like electric bicycle better, its about 4 to 5 times as more expensive, but its worth it to be able to blend in and be silent, able to ride bicycle paths with no care of detection.

The best ebike for your health would be a minimal 250W or 350W which forces you to pedal and break a sweat.
For now I like high powered e-bicycles, that I can go fast, climb hills quickly, do donuts on baseball field red gravel etc.
But I know I will end up with a mid drive sooner or later. As when I start crashing hard on 3000W+ ebike.

Hehe... It was diseasal exhaust fumes that got me interested in EVs in the first place. A sailing club tender (small ferry) used to run one nautical mile from downtown across the harbour to an island club at slow speeds and with the winds going in the same direction it made my two daughters ill to smell/breath.

I said "there's got to be a better way". And I had played with batteries as a kiddo and went to my first institute of higher drinking (university) to be an EE (electrical engineer, a fast track to officer status in the navy). Didn't complete (or get into our navy) but years later bought my first "ebike" to reeducate myself re chargers and batteries, etc.

This was a "tiny" standup kick scooter. With "extra kick" via motor and batteries. This was in the years before Canada and provinces even legalized our "power-assisted bicycle". The first day I rode that scooter home through slush and snow thinking WOAH. I got something special in my hands. And I kept riding (illegally) for thousands of urban miles.

But my sailing club in those days wasn't interested in converting that old tender and even bought a brand-new Stinko-Mobile diseasal powered tender boat. And I quit the club in disgust.

Makes me sick to read about Norway and their brand new bettery-electric ferry boat.

Anyway... I used to get a kick (pun intended) riding through gas stations but gave that up as the fumes made me sick to smell. Dunno how "gas jockey" attendants can stand that job. To go home at night with headaches, etc.

And unlike most motorcycles and mopeds, the ebike has exercise/health club dues built in to cost to purchase. (Pedal for warmth, extend ranges per charge, extend life of battery, etc.)

Can currently finance the purchase of an "ebike" for about 1/2 the monthly pass on pubic transit. With no more "last mile". No licensing. No insurance.

Would rather spend that $$$ on wine, women and song. (Well, two out of three ain't bad, eh?)

Sorry about any wrong spellings here. (And that weird Canadianism thingee. Eh?)
Cheers

Daiso, at Aberdeen Centre, Richmond, BC also sells a mask with an air valve.

Unfortunately, I could still smell the diesel exhaust, so it doesn't do much.

Back