• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Electric Harley.

Having a really good day, so maybe I'm overly optimistic. Then again, 10 people did sign-up for my eBike Workshop at Technocopia, when it was limited to 10, and I didn't have to work that hard. The paradigm shift is light-electric and DIY and when you've got a makerspace with all the right tools to make the install and ongoing maintenance easy, I believe people will come over. What made my day was this one guy as I was putting up a poster for the workshop, who must have said thank you 5 or more time. Was like "I want one of those" and now has help making it happen. I will NEVER go back to driving an ICE'r. This is so much fun, so more affordable, so more right-sized to a walkable urban environment, never mind small ecological footprint. As I told that guy, would we ever be having a meaningful conversation if I was caged in a steel box? No. I'm loving the social, loving every aspect of it. So, have a good day will ya'?

Arkmundi,

Bravo for making it easier for people to get in. 10 at a time is cool and right there on the front lines. This whole being able to build your own reliable transportation thing is so staggeringly beautiful to me, that I often have to push back and wonder if I'm just in a tiny minority. While from the outside I may be, but I know for certain that throwing a leg over a good electric 2 wheeler and turning that throttle clicks a smile switch for a majority. From there all it takes is showing them how easy they are to build and maintain, and give them a hint of that reward, and a big percentage will be converts, so I'm sure you're on the right track.

Link below has a video with footage of the CNET crew riding it. It has a better audio of the "jet" sound from a stop.

http://www.cnet.com/products/project-livewire/

I wonder what names this one will get called, we cant really call it an Hardly dangerous or Barley Harvester can we. Maybe Harley will revive the Electroglide name? Or what about something similar to the 883 like PP3! :D

They missed a big opportunity not making it more manly looking IMO. LOL
151.jpg

huge-motorcycle.jpg

Had my ride yesterday, and got a post up with a video: http://evmc2.wordpress.com/2014/06/28/harley-davidson-project-livewire-hits-boston-and-lets-me-ride-one/

Take a look at the end of the video. They had a video running that was kind of a behind-the-scenes of the development of the bike, and it has a bunch of drawings, prototypes, clay models and CAD renders that show the guts and development of the bike. Closest thing to a look under the hood I've seen.

Tinking indeed. The front cowl on the motor is plastic, so's the cover (to the rear) for what I assume is the right-angle gearing. The machining on the actual aluminum is some of the roughest I've ever seen. The sound, in spite of Harley apparently claiming to have invented it, sounds like a kind-of-loud electric drivetrain. I can see bar fights erupting in the future over this. Certainly lawsuits. :D (I'd say, offhand, it doesn't sound much different than the Zero SR I rode recently).

Two LiveWire owners walk into a bar. Guy outside starts a leaf blower. They both freak out, thinking someone is stealing their bikes, because nothing else on the planet could sound like that, right? lmao

It's fookin quick. Not a wheelie machine, but once that motor spins up it pulls like a bitch.

Styling and rider position is spot on, in my opinion, but that's the kind of bike I love. Much better than the Zero, by the way.

...and I wore my Juicer t-shirt. :D :D :D

teddillard said:
Had my ride yesterday, and got a post up with a video: http://evmc2.wordpress.com/2014/06/28/harley-davidson-project-livewire-hits-boston-and-lets-me-ride-one/

Take a look at the end of the video. They had a video running that was kind of a behind-the-scenes of the development of the bike, and it has a bunch of drawings, prototypes, clay models and CAD renders that show the guts and development of the bike. Closest thing to a look under the hood I've seen.

Tinking indeed. The front cowl on the motor is plastic, so's the cover (to the rear) for what I assume is the right-angle gearing. The machining on the actual aluminum is some of the roughest I've ever seen. The sound, in spite of Harley apparently claiming to have invented it, sounds like a kind-of-loud electric drivetrain. I can see bar fights erupting in the future over this. Certainly lawsuits. :D (I'd say, offhand, it doesn't sound much different than the Zero SR I rode recently).

Two LiveWire owners walk into a bar. Guy outside starts a leaf blower. They both freak out, thinking someone is stealing their bikes, because nothing else on the planet could sound like that, right? lmao

It's fookin quick. Not a wheelie machine, but once that motor spins up it pulls like a bitch.

Styling and rider position is spot on, in my opinion, but that's the kind of bike I love. Much better than the Zero, by the way.

...and I wore my Juicer t-shirt. :D :D :D

Interesting. The more I read the more I think this is just a "Look at us, we're being green" stunt by Harley. I hope I'm wrong. If all the Harley fans go for this it would certainly change the world for the better. Maybe 10 years from now I'll be able to take a nap without some douchebag waking me up blipping his throttle for no real reason. I'm not holding my breath though.

Even if it is a stunt by Harley for grant money or publicity or carbon credits.... Its going to most likely have a positive impact for the EV world and a negative impact for ICE powered JUNK. Its all good my friend. Buy a Zero and be happy :)
If Harley Doesn't come though with this now.... They will be doomed because gas is dead!

I'll bet plenty of people liked the looks of yours better.

actually the rider of the EV Harley and many other folks took a lot of pics of mine, thats why they let me park next to the EV Harley in the middle of the display area... i got so excited my hands started shaking, too much attention for me LOL... and Thank You for comments, i really had a awesome time there...

Flipping amazing piece of work. Real engineering.

allen_okc said:
i got to attend to the livewire display here in oklahoma city, im impressed with the bike... here is a video taken today july 3 2014... 8)

[youtube]7rRWHiKBhVU[/youtube]

Yesterday 'stopped by the HD dealer in Queens, NY parked by the door and was immediately asked if I my pedal+ebike was electric. Tons of questions and EV interest due to this LiveWire campaign. Maybe see eBikes in Harley dealerships, hmm?

Harley crowd are a bunch of me-too's, so now that EV's are approved by the brand they are free to express interest. I have an old childhood 'friend' who polishes three garage Harleys and he used to say, "electric bicycles are interesting and what you're doing is ok, but …" He'd heard some ignorant bicyclists snear at electric bicycles, and since he can be part of that 'group think' he felt safe in adopting their attitude. The day he became aware of the Livewire his attitude abruptly shifted.

Whatever gets people to open their minds is good, as long as HD doesn't sabotage it for their own purposes.

gogo said:
Harley crowd are a bunch of me-too's, so now that EV's are approved by the brand they are free to express interest.

Social conditioning. Group identification.

I recently witnessed a group of Harleys go through downtown. You could hear them approaching 1 mile away. Same black attire. Same scowling faces. Same no mufflers. Same revving it up countless times waiting for the light.

Five minutes later, a group of Japanese performance bikes arrive. Revving up their engines waiting at the light. Dressed the same. Acting the same. Screaming their engines racing from light to light.

Last week, a bunch of identically dressed Lyrica gave me the dirty look routine as they pedaled together.

Is there any real difference?

Juicerman said:
Kent said:
mistercrash said:
Whoopdeedoo! Another toy for the rich to play with.

Yup and it can't even carry a bag of groceries.

C'mon rich folk, you can have two bags of groceries and an electric cruiser too!

cargo.gif

You'd need to make them out of leather with tassles to avoid scoffs. :)

Just finally got around to listening to the E-harley sound. As others say nothing new, my green chopper bike from a few years ago sounded exactly like that(no idea how to recreate the sound tho), I have to admit it is a nice selling point to have some noise come from the bike.

Bluefang said:
Just finally got around to listening to the E-harley sound. As others say nothing new, my green chopper bike from a few years ago sounded exactly like that(no idea how to recreate the sound tho), I have to admit it is a nice selling point to have some noise come from the bike.

If I wanted an ebike with noise (which will never happen other than to add a horn or a bell for noise on demand), then I'd do like when I was a kid and use playing cards and clothespins. :mrgreen:

Looks cool, not bad as a prototype (not considering the useless range), fair play to Harley - last company i would have expected this from.

http://www.pistonheads.com/features/ph-ph2/harley-davidson-project-livewire-ph2-review/32181

"That buzz? Harley-Davidson confirms production electric motorcycle"
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2016...dson-confirms-production-electric-motorcycle/
electric-harley-confirmed-876.jpg

Per Harley-Davidson Senior Vice President of Global Demand Sean Cummings "on sale within five years."

"Price and specifications for the production bike have not been revealed, but Cummins says it will have at least double the range of the Livewire."

EDIT: This ES thread first started in June, 2014... so now two years. And counting.

Back