Electric RC planes?

Toshi said:
With regard to sims: I have macs. Not so new ones either. I guess I could try that free sim running under Parallels Desktop (Windows XP, running pseudo-natively on my Intel-based mac)...

Can you use bootcamp to dual boot to XP or W7?

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=8472&Product_Name=Turnigy_Piaget_EPP-CF_3D

That plane is technically a 3D stunt plane, but it's been setup to have a huge low speed lift to weight ratio, so it flys so slowly that it's very easy to fly. Once you get good, you can fly a plane like this indoors!

It's made of this foam that is much more like a nerf football than styrofoam, so it's not quite as light as rigid as a styrofoam or wood plane, but you can drive this sucker into the ground over and over, and the only thing that breaks is the props, and sometimes a bent motor shaft.

Get that plane, get a few battery packs, one at 2S for learning, one 3S for when you've got the hang of things, and buy a dozen propellers, and a few motors.

The Hobbyking 6channel 2.4ghz controller/receiver set is pretty damn good for the price as well. I run a $$$ computerized 9channel, but for learning to fly, it would be way easier to keep the controller as simple as possible. Just sticks and trims is all you need.

Just stepped out of the hobby store after 45 beguiling minutes. Things I learned: flying the sim isn't easy! (Realflight, in the store.)

The Vapor and Ember are gymnasium-only beasts.

The Apprentice 15e and the Super Cub LP are both carried by the store but they had 2 Apprentices (one BNF, one RTF) as compared to about 8 Super Cubs. Parts are stocked for the Super Cub but must be ordered for the Apprentice. The sales guy made the good points that 27 MHz isn't a problem if everyone else is running 2.4 GHz, and that radios can be upgraded in the future if need be.

Finally, Realflight includes a faux controller, which apparently saves wear and tear on your real controller's gimbals. It runs $200 but is Windows-only.

Replying to the above: I could use Bootcamp but my Mac mini has integrated graphics and merely a 1.66 GHz Intel Core (non-2) Duo so isn't stout enough for the pretty 3D models and such.

I walked out of the store empty-handed since I try to avoid impulse purchases and wouldn't have daylight hours during which to play with anything until at least the weekend but I think a Super Cub LP and a sim, somehow, will be in the near-term cards.

Toshi said:
Things I learned: flying the sim isn't easy! (Realflight, in the store.)

And neither is flying the real thing (when beginning) hence the need for a sim or a BIG garbage bag and a dust pan and broom when you go flying LoL..I guess you have more of a feel and understanding why so many have suggested you get a sim ;) Its great to be able to hit 'reset' on a sim and start over isn't it....pitty you cant do that IRL LoL..

Best of luck

KiM

p.s DONT go with 27mhz stick with the 2.4ghz mate honestly, there will be a heap of people regardless of what the hobby store tells you buying online rc junk running 27mhz, only need one near you with same channel and you can say bye bye to your new plane.

the problem is that no one makes quite exactly what i want:

the Super Cub LP is great save for 27 MHz and a brushed motor. the Apprentice 15e is great save for being 3 lbs (ie, not a true park flyer), not having as good local support, and being $120 more than the Super Cub.

what i'd ideally want:

- not styled like a real plane. a giant carbon stick would be just fine for higher performance/lower stall speed
- LiPo
- 2.4 GHz DSM2
- brushless
- ~2 lbs and < 60 mph so as to be Park Flyer compliant
- $250

it doesn't exist.

AussieJester said:
Toshi said:
Things I learned: flying the sim isn't easy! (Realflight, in the store.)

And neither is flying the real thing (when beginning) hence the need for a sim or a BIG garbage bag and a dust pan and broom when you go flying LoL..I guess you have more of a feel and understanding why so many have suggested you get a sim ;) Its great to be able to hit 'reset' on a sim and start over isn't it....pitty you cant do that IRL LoL..
oh, also, i did find the Piper Cub in the Realflight sim to be very easy to fly, even with ailerons. the one that i started out on (that the previous guy kept on crashing) was a big, 1/4 scale?, yellow biplane. not slow, not forgiving, and easy to crash! the Piper Cub was a breeze on the sim in comparison and i even landed it once. at the far end of the runway, mind you, but i landed it!

Why not buy what you want online? I have never bought anything from my local hobby shops
everything came from online, HEAP cheaper for me anywayz... IMHO 27mhz for park fliers
in non controlled environment is a big mistake. Clubs have "peg boards" you MUST have the channel peg on your radio before you fly so no conflicting channels are used, in these situations it is safer, clubs also have insurance as The issue ISN'T just crashing
the plane, this is a certainty when you get interference no question BUT who is the plan going to hit
and how badly will you hurt them...not worth the risk mate

KiM

the local hobby shop actually has exactly the same prices as i found online. i live across the street from a high school, so i envision just hopping across and using their football field during off hours. i can't imagine that i'd run into another person on 27 MHz in that scenario. point taken about insurance, however, and i am planning on signing up for the Park Pilot membership to the AMA ( http://www.theparkpilot.org/ ) that gives one $500k USD in liability coverage while flying one's park flyer, which in turn is defined as electric, < 2 lbs, < 60 mph.

27mhz and 75mhz are the only two legal frequencys for radio controlled models in the USA chances are btter than good buddy, fact you live near a high school would mean there are a heap of local kids that would have rc models... BUT...do as you please was just giving you my 2 cents worth, i lost enough $$ due to radio interference back in the 1980s when i raced rc cars IN a controlled club environment no less! its not uncommon as you think. Seeing the price for 2.4 or crystal gear is same it makes no sense to not go with 2.4ghtz IMHO... The park flier insurance is AWESOME we dont have anything like that (that im aware of) in Australia...bloody brilliant idea that is!!

KiM

EDIT: i just remembered to CBs use 27mhz band so anyone with a CB nearby flicking through cnnels could possibly be an issue?.

if 2.4 GHz is a must then what about this one? $170 USD RTF.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/wing_dragon_hl_rtf_trainer_airplane_15021_prd1.htm

kinda goofy but comes with good recommendations. options as i see it:

Wing Dragon RTF. $120. brushed. NiMH. unspecified frequency, likely 27 MHz.

Wing Dragon HL RTF. $170. brushless. NiMH. 2.4 GHz 4-channel using 3 of them.

Super Cub LP RTF. $180. brushed. LiPo. 27 MHz.

E-Flite Apprentice 15e RTF. $300. brushless. LiPo. 2.4 GHz DSM2.

If it was 'I' i would buy the plane you want in a kit and fit the radio gear myself, honestly its not difficult its all plug and play. For a park flier i would buy this transmitter.

KiM

EDIT: Perhaps while your at HobbyCity checkout the ARF planes, they have a heaps for under 100 bucks...I would prolly buy two myself, all this RC talk of late i am getting the itch again to get another Heli, mate Matt.P has gotten into RC Hellis was up my place with his-->

[youtube]CBb06tECHRc[/youtube]

Few weeks back, hes still in the learning stages. The price of small 400 size helis these days is ridiculously cheap, couple of kits (one for spares) a Spektrum and i would be set hahaa...going down in size though is a hard pill too swallow, i would like a 700 size chopper TRex would be nice. Cant have an E-Bike habbit AND large RC Heli though.. ;-(

the thing is that if i want "proper" gear then that Apprentice package seems to have the ARFs beat. $300 for an airframe, a 5 channel 2.4 GHz DSM 2 radio (that very same Spektrum DX5e that you posted in fact), a LiPo pack with balancing charger, a brushless motor, all the servos necessary, and prebuilt isn't half bad! if you started with a $100 airframe and a $100 tx/rx and i don't think that last $100 would cover the rest of the bits.

if i want cheap/purely starter gear then the $120, $170, and $180 options also seem compelling if not quite such an outright deal.

Toshi said:
the thing is that if i want "proper" gear then that Apprentice package seems to have the ARFs beat. $300 for an airframe, a 5 channel 2.4 GHz DSM 2 radio (that very same Spektrum DX5e that you posted in fact), a LiPo pack with balancing charger, a brushless motor, all the servos necessary, and prebuilt isn't half bad! if you started with a $100 airframe and a $100 tx/rx and i don't think that last $100 would cover the rest of the bits.

if i want cheap/purely starter gear then the $120, $170, and $180 options also seem compelling if not quite such an outright deal.

Sounds like a decent deal for a first plane. If the plane is made of brittle foam or wood though, all bets are off. You will be lucky to get 2-3 crashes out of it before it doesn't have enough left to be glued back together.

A plane made of EPP foam is really a requirement IMO for something to learn to fly. It's seriously as durable as a nerf football, all other plane materials shatter into jagged pieces with a decent wreck.

sanity check on this starter setup before i order (tomorrow), please:

1. Wing Dragon HL.

2. 2 or 3 Zippy Flightmax 3s1p 20C rated 1500 mAh batteries.

3. a cheap Turnigy TGY-3 balancing LiPo charger that can handle 2s and 3s packs.

i figure i'll have to make a trip to the local hobby store to standardize connectors between this gear… i used Anderson Powerpoles on my electric bike, and might go with those if everything isn't Deans already.

That style of plane is very easy to fly, but keep in mind, if it's made of brittle materials, you will find yourself spending more time waiting for glue to dry than flying, until you get the hang of it, at which point you won't be wanting that plane anymore. A slow flying EPP stunt plane won't fly itself, so you will really have to learn well, but it's extremely durable, and after learning to fly well, you will still have a plane that any skill level of pilot can enjoy.

Toshi said:
sanity check on this starter setup before i order (tomorrow), please:

1. Wing Dragon HL.

2. 2 or 3 Zippy Flightmax 3s1p 20C rated 1500 mAh batteries.

3. a cheap Turnigy TGY-3 balancing LiPo charger that can handle 2s and 3s packs.

i figure i'll have to make a trip to the local hobby store to standardize connectors between this gear… i used Anderson Powerpoles on my electric bike, and might go with those if everything isn't Deans already.

just ordered the above (Wing Dragon HL, 3 Zippy 3sp1 1500 mAh LiPos, some CA glue, and that dinky little 2s/3s charger) after endless dithering. the only change i made was to order the "Always Flying" option: $10 extra gets you free* replacement parts for a year for the plane for when you crash.

* free means you pay shipping provided you take a photo of the crash aftermath. if you have a video of the crash then even shipping is waived!

at3307xlg.jpg

Toshi said:
* free means you pay shipping provided you take a photo of the crash aftermath. if you have a video of the crash then even shipping is waived!

at3307xlg.jpg

Well that would just encourage me to come up with more dramatic and EXPLOSIVE ways to total the plane hehehe... Luke...up for a lil friendly competition LOL..

KiM

lol, I could never release a video of me crashing a top-wing plane with that much dihedral in the wing. lol It would be like crashing a train. lol

I was more thinking of blowing it up mid air with firecrackers or even a shotgun Luke!! think "outside" the box mate, it uses lipos we can blame them for the flaming decent to the ground hehehe

KiM

AussieJester said:
I was more thinking of blowing it up mid air with firecrackers or even a shotgun Luke!! think "outside" the box mate, it uses lipos we can blame them for the flaming decent to the ground hehehe

KiM

We could load my Beretta semi-auto shotgun up with those coastguard tracer/flare 12awg shells and blame it all on LiPo :) Or just birdshot, and see how small of an average piece size we could create before the pieces hit the ground. lol I can generally shoot off all 8 rounds with some rough degree of accuracy in ~2 seconds or so. :p

AussieJester said:
See thats the spirit Luke HAHAHA with your record of returned fried previous purchases to HobbyCity they would buy anything you told em mate :mrgreen:

KiM

lol, take video, but with no sound so they don't hear the shotgun. The plane is flying, then blows to pieces, then the pieces all blow to bits as it's falling. lol

Tell them you're not impressed with the quality and durability of the plane. I bet they would just warranty the plane no questions asked.

I think they definitely would with text overlay on the video stating-->

"This is the quality of RC plane to expect when buying from HobbyCity"

Tell them it will be posted on youtube and every RC Model forum you can find if its not replaced with a 'superior' model.....then repeat process until you have worked your way to the top of the line RC heli they sell LOL ...

Gotta love the power of the interwebz :mrgreen:

KiM

Back