Electric Surly Moonlander

duzeonthebike

100 µW
I thought I'd show of my latest build. It's a 2014 Surly Moonlander with a Crystalyte HT35 48V Hub, Crystalyte 4840 Controller and a 48v 20a LifePO4 Battery. On my first test run the display said I was going 47mph, but I still have to check that against my GPS for accuracy. It was fast and stable, I felt like I was on a motorcycle. The fat tires make for a very stable ride. I'm looking forward to riding it on snowmobile trails this winter. Of course I will only do this in the early morning when no snowmobiler's are out. I own a small bike shop and love building these rigs, if anyone is interested let me know.
IMG_20140922_104640039_HDR.jpg

It handles really well! I am installing a Surly rear rack on it because the cheap one on it is a bit wiggly. The top speed is 35 mph after checking it with my GPS, I have to recalibrate it. My other ebike with 26" wheels and a magic pie 3 set up was scary at 25 mph, but this one is really stable.

Yes, the gears are pretty much useless. I won't be going nearly that fast when the snow starts to fly. I will be putting on a 10 speed freewheel so I will have the bike spec'd the way it originally came. I'm also going to put studded tires on it.

Riding on snow is a strange concept. I am about as far away from snow as you could get. I hear the guys here ride them on sand dunes. I had a look at at couple of Surleys yesterday at the bike shop. A very interesting idea for a bike. They look like very hard work without a motor and a lot of fun with one.

I'm running Surly Lou 4.8 tires on it, I plan on putting a set of 45North Studded tires on it for the winter.

If you were to move the battery to your down tube you would see and feel a lot better handling it made a nite and day deference for my bike .

Attachments

• bike compressed.jpg
    bike compressed.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 2,101
Great ride!

Sorry for necroposting, but I just purchased a Moonlander for a build.
I hope someone can answer. What rear rim did you use? Any troubles with building offset wheel?
Thanks!

Back