Em3ev controller surging

cgbjake

10 mW
So I upgraded my controller to a 12 fet 40amp controller from Paul and also bought the matching switch, cruise control, and throttle. It's running my Mac motor that runs fine. I upgraded from 5s to 6s so I'm now at 48v with 10ah. I have two questions if someone could help me out...

1). During cruising the controller seems to surge from 200watts to as high as 8-900 for about a second then back down. Does this often and seems very rhythmic. I tried to set the cruise to get rid of the throttle and it still does it. I'm thinking it has something to do with the initial settings in the controller. I have the programming cord but haven't figured it out to view things.

2). Not very efficient, seems that just a little throttle is adding a large amount of amps. It almost feels like the "timing" is off. I'm really a Noob at this but have lerked a lot here but may be getting things mixed up. The batteries are in really good shape and balanced so why the large amp draw and pretty big voltage sag? I thought I'd get more mileage out of 4 6s batteries. My 4.5 mile ride to work with a little help from me draws 3500ma per charger.

I'm thinking they are related, any ideas? I've done 3 days of searching and couldn't find anything so apologies if it repeats, link to answers is enough, love to read up on things!

The surging sounds a little like an issue I have with a Grin 12FET. There's a thread for it called something like "Grin 12FET throttle surge/rollback issue", I think. I've not yet found the issue, but a much older generic 12FET on the same motor/bike and diff motor/same bike has no such problem.

Sounds very similar, but not exact. Paul is working with me but I'm busy and the time delay keeps it from moving along fast. Anybody with more ideas? Thanks!

Back