EU is trying to kill the ebike!!!

o00scorpion00o said:
It's no problem now because there are so few on the road, but as batteries become much cheaper, smaller etc, in a few years and more and more people will ride E-Bikes then the fun will start and you can be sure the laws will be enforced!

That is why we need to keep EU legislation sane and sound.

You've got to separate out the arguments about Electric Bicycles (25KMPH, 250w) and Electric light motorcycles. As far as I can tell none of the articles mentioned are arguing for changes to the E-Bicycle law. The changes are a side effect of the motorcycle laws. Rightly or wrongly, the EU is trying (again) to restrict modification of motorcycles and so Electric Light Motorcycles are falling into the same problems.

I'm really not bothered by the Electric Bicycle laws. It means there's a completely legal category where all controls are off and I can ride anywhere with no helmet, license, tax, insurance, registration, etc etc. And a growing market that means that bicycles with an electric motor are becoming if not common, then at least not completely unusual. Which then means I can ride my 40kmph, 500w bicycle without anyone noticing as long as I take the piss quietly and don't draw attention to myself.

As a motorcyclist, I think the EU is going too far since making changes to your M/C is an essential part of the experience. But I'm also in favour of requiring some basic safety testing before your prototype is allowed to be registered, just as long as that safety testing is straight forwards and accessible and not a complete bureaucratic nightmare. Something that does 50kmph is a potential liability not just to yourself but to everyone else round you. I'm comfortable with requiring training, testing, registration, insurance and so on for that in the same way you would need it to ride a 50KMPH scooter or moped.

jbond said:
You've got to separate out the arguments about Electric Bicycles (25KMPH, 250w) and Electric light motorcycles. As far as I can tell none of the articles mentioned are arguing for changes to the E-Bicycle law.
I thought that was what the lobbying and petition was all about?

I'm all in favour of taking the Low Powered Moped category out of the Type Approval/SVA ambit. That doesn't by itself make it logically consistent with EPACs, following the argument that ETRA is making.

I say the E.U and it's rules and taxes can go
sFun_explosive.gif

sSig_heeheehee.gif

Miles said:
jbond said:
You've got to separate out the arguments about Electric Bicycles (25KMPH, 250w) and Electric light motorcycles. As far as I can tell none of the articles mentioned are arguing for changes to the E-Bicycle law.
I thought that was what the lobbying and petition was all about?

I'm all in favour of taking the Low Powered Moped category out of the Type Approval/SVA ambit. That doesn't by itself make it logically consistent with EPACs, following the argument that ETRA is making.

Ok. I've misunderstood what everyone was arguing for. Seems we have several things going on here.

- Cycling organisations wanting limited regulation to be restricted to 25kmph 250w bicycles and not widened.
- EU wanting to extend motorcycle TUV (and by implication Electric motorcycles) to include anti-tampering and extra safety controls.
- Electric bicycle organisations wanting to avoid TUV being extended for licensed machines and to free up and widen the limited regulation E-Bicycle controls.

My position doesn't really change,
- I want the EU to accept 25Kmph, 250w unlicensed but allow throttle only, throttle plus PAS or PAS only as in the UK currently. Even on these low powered machines, there are situations where throttle only is safer than PAS only.
- I want the EU to allow prototype motorcycle (and hence Electric Motorcycle) TUV testing and registration along the UK model of a relatively simple, cheap testing system.
- I want the EU to just back off over modifications to licensed, registered machines. We've already got perfectly good mechanisms in the MOT and construction and use regs to keep this under control.
- I think it probably would be a good thing if all EU countries had an equivalent to the UK MOT.
- And some real politique. Hoping for a widening of the registration free, restriction free regime to allow more power or more speed seems pointless as I just can't see it happening. But I don't care because it's unenforceable as long as you aren't being stupid.

Miles said:
o00scorpion00o said:
I say the E.U and it's rules and taxes can go
In the UK, until the EU legislation is ratified, the limit is technically 200 Watts cont. .... :)

Is it? Maybe. Perhaps. We seem to have some mishmash at the moment with the exact state of the law being a bit undefined. 250w, 25kmph, but throttle only allowed. So current EU law overlaid on the old UK law with the legislation out of step with what's accepted as allowed to be sold and used.

Back