EV-ATV

CFECO

100 µW
Hello all,
I am new here and this is my project. I am taking two Yamaha MX Bike Chassis, and making a 2 person side by side 4 wheel ATV out of them, Electric power, of course. I have obtained the bikes already and have found a place to build it,as I can't do it at home per HOA. I have a 48 volt golf cart motor and controller that I plan to start with, and upgrade the motor after the bugs are worked out on the buggy. I will probably start with FLA batteries, (4) 12volt, to get the buggy driving quickly, and go to Lithium later (Chevy Volts so far). My goal is: It has to be able to fit into the back of our double cab 2013 Toyota Tundra truck with the tailgate up while we pull our camp trailer, it has to have good off road suspension as we explore old mine roads, it has to be light, I want 40+ mph speed so we can use it on local public roads, and I want at least 50 mile range, and...I'd like to be able to put a small 2000 watt generator on the machine to partially recharge while we are out in the back woods, but that is just "Cake Icing" and may not even be feasible, ( weight of onboard charger and gen. might be better used with just more batteries). Right now my main sticking points are, a Differential to split the power from a motor to the 2 chain drives on the bike swing-arms, and the best motor to go to when I upgrade. I welcome all constructive comments, and any others too! The added bottom picture is my early Sketch-Up drawing of the bike-buggy.

Attachments

• IMG_2961.jpg
    IMG_2961.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 1,416
  • IMG_2960.jpg
    IMG_2960.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 1,416
  • IMG_2791.jpg
    IMG_2791.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 1,401
Thanks!
The batteries will go between the seats from front to back with the LA, when the switch to Lithium happens, they should go under the seats. As soon as I can get the bikes to the work area, hopefully this Sat., I'll be able to get some better measurements and get some accurate drawings next week.

OK, the Kids.."Righty and Lefty" have come home to their new little shop, looks like they are already getting to know each other. Next week will be Detail measurements, design a stand, and then start cutting! I came to realize today, that I am taking Two IC engined bikes off the road and making one two seat UTV. Maybe I could get a government grant for this...?

Attachments

• IMG_2977.jpg
    IMG_2977.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 1,319
  • IMG_2978.jpg
    IMG_2978.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 1,319
Well the Holidays got in the way of progress a little, but I want to update some. I bought a complete Club Car golf cart I can salvage for the wiring, drivetrain, and controller and some steering components. I should be getting to teardown of it this Sat. In the meantime I am looking into batteries, both for our camp trailer and the buggy. I'd really like to try using the Chevy Volt pack for the camper to test out, but it has to be reliable or the "boss" will be upset...we'll see. There are some large AGM batteries available locally, I'll probably go with for the camper, but at 105 lbs ea., they are too much for the buggy. To be continued...
Thanks for the comments! Chuck

Attachments

• IMG_3247.jpg
    IMG_3247.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 1,227
Glue two bikes and call it atv - bad idea. Why not just make a proper vehicle? Why not use rolling chassis of atv and make it wider, side by side two seater?

HI, and thanks for the input. My reasoning behind the dual mx bike design is the great suspensions provided by them, weight, and the size can be easily adjusted to fit my needs. I have to be able to get the buggy into the back of a 2013 Tundra double cab, with a tool box...With the tailgate up, while we haul our bumper pull camp trailer. If I started with a quad, the suspension will not be designed for two people, batteries, etc, and I'd have to design a whole new frame, make the suspensions wider....Plus the double rear swing-arm suspension allows me to put the golf cart rear axle ( narrowed )in between the swing-arms, out of the passenger compartment. I also don't have a real shop to build in, so the base model has to be able to be built simply. Here is a battery I found and the price is looking good for what it is. $300 for a 48 volt lithium, that's quite a bit cheaper than (4) 12volt deep cycle lead acid batteries, and MUCH lighter.

Attachments

• $_58.JPG
    $_58.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 1,068
Well I personally think you have yourself one heck of an interesting and ambitious project. I am very interested to see what you come up with. I would think it would be hard to compete with the factory built models there are out there such as the BRP, and Polaris models. I see a great deal of engineering Involved in your build. My initial thought is center of gravity and suspension from a motorcycle design is far different than what you will typically see on a side by side or even a quad. the biggest obstacle I see will be front end... but hey? I could be overthinking? Good luck! please post lots of photo's during your build.

Well, I received my first battery pack today, Yea! I have to make some end plates to hold it together. It is going to serve dual purpose, as it will also be the battery for our camper. To be continued...

Back