EV Bonfire at Luton Airport carpark

Bandit1961

10 mW
There's mounting speculation that a spontaneous combustion of an EV vehicle could be the root cause. There's been a backlash on ebikes not being safe - this could result in a backlash of EV vehicles of some magnitude.

There's mounting speculation that a spontaneous combustion of an EV vehicle could be the root cause. There's been a backlash on ebikes not being safe - this could result in a backlash of EV vehicles of some magnitude.
BBC and AP are both reporting that it's likely started by a diesel vehicle.

Seems that social media sees "massive car fire" and immediately assumes EVs.

Comments like these don't help:
"The fire then spread as a number of electric vehicles burst into flames in a domino effect, one firefighter suggested. As many as 1,500 vehicles are feared to have been damaged."

Thanks Daily Mail!

Clickbait and sensationalized journalism typically lack perspective. This is not by accident.

Attachments

• car fires.jpg
    car fires.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 20
What's most surprising to me, that I didn't realize until I started following this story, was the number of people pointing out how much more statistically likely hybrids are for catching fire. I hadn't thought about it, but it makes sense; it has the risk factors of both EVs and ICEs.

Clickbait and sensationalized journalism typically lack perspective. This is not by accident.
Those car fire stats are total BS !
the USA had 174,000 car fires in last year, from a total fleet of 266 million ICE cars….….….…
which turns out to be 64.1 per 100,000 !
NOT the 1,529 per 100,000 reported for ICEs,..which would have implied over 4.0 million car fires per year !
i suspect similar errors in the other EV and Hybrid figures.
EDIT…
From here..
they quote the figure of 4125 EV fires pa. In a total fleet of under 3 million..
so the rate of EV fires per 100,000 would be >137.5 …
…and NOT the 25.1 reported.

And those 16,050 Hybrid fires reported, were from a hybrid car fleet of approx 6,000,000
which implies a rate of 267 per 100,000 !…….slightly less than the 3474 in that report !🙄

Last edited:
Good spot, Hillhater. Cant say I'm surprised with all of the fake news floating around these days.

Those car fire stats are total BS !
the USA had 174,000 car fires in last year, from a total fleet of 266 million ICE cars….….….…
which turns out to be 64.1 per 100,000 !
NOT the 1,529 per 100,000 reported for ICEs,..which would have implied over 4.0 million car fires per year !
i suspect similar errors in the other EV and Hybrid figures.
EDIT…
From here..
they quote the figure of 4125 EV fires pa. In a total fleet of under 3 million..
so the rate of EV fires per 100,000 would be >137.5 …
…and NOT the 25.1 reported.

And those 16,050 Hybrid fires reported, were from a hybrid car fleet of approx 6,000,000
which implies a rate of 267 per 100,000 !…….slightly less than the 3474 in that report !🙄
Man, I hate to say it, but Hillhater might be right. Seems like AutoInsuranceEZ made a "report", and it's the same report that everyone else is citing and using to defend EVs. AutoInsuranceEZ used NTSB data that tallies all crashes and fatal accidents, and assumed all crashes mean fires.

And the long story short is that it's not easy at all to get accurate data on "car fires" specifically, for any engine type. Crashes, yes, but not fires.

"To try to figure out where these numbers came from, we first contacted the National Transportation Safety Board, purported source for the car-fire statistics. And the NTSB's spokesman told us, "There is no NTSB database that tracks highway vehicle fires. We do not know what data AutoInsuranceEZ used for its research, but it did not come from an NTSB database." They suggested that perhaps the study authors confused the NTSB with NHTSA, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. So we contacted NHTSA.

And guess what? NHTSA doesn't collect fire data in this way, either. NHTSA—which we should call "the NHTSA," but that sounds weird—collects data on crashes but says that only about 5 percent of fires are crash-related. So they rely on other sources for information, like the National Fire Incident Reporting System (NFIRS). Which, in any case, doesn't categorize fires according to the type of vehicle powertrain."

Agreed. But do you know what else is fundamentally wrong? The Chevy Bolt. :ROFLMAO:
The Bolt itself is a pretty good car….until it burns !
GM, like many other car makers, were too trusting in third party battery suppliers (LG) to provide a reliable product. Actually i believe LG built the entire car under contract for GM ?
But i guess we have to say GMs reliabiliity and risk assesments should have pick up these issues before production started.

Back