EV sonic 7 kit car

Had the Sonic out in the weekend with another EV mate and we noticed that the new windscreen is awesome :D you can have a conversion siting at 100kph. We did also note that the wind was just catching the top of the roll bar swirling back into the cabin space.

So I did some surgery today and chopped the rollbar 3" and also covered the back of it with 6 mm poly carbonate to stop the wind sucking back in and it worked a treat hopefully this will give me some more range, as a bonus the car looks more squat and lower 8)

Cheers Kiwi

Attachments

• IMG_2560.JPG
    IMG_2560.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 2,300
  • IMG_2559.JPG
    IMG_2559.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 2,300
That looks great Conrad! :mrgreen:

-JD

Another Sunday another car show :mrgreen:

If anyone is around Canberra tomorrow the Sonic will be at old parliament house Shannon's car show from 9-2

cheers Kiwi

kiwiev said:

If anyone is around Canberra tomorrow the Sonic will be at old parliament house Shannon's car show from 9-2

cheers Kiwi

I hope it will be at the Treasury Car park! As the event has moved.

https://actmotorclubs.wordpress.com/events/shannons-wheels/

SplinterOz said:
kiwiev said:

cheers Kiwi

Oh was that where we were last time?

Cheers Kiwi

kiwiev said:
SplinterOz said:
kiwiev said:

cheers Kiwi

Oh was that where we were last time?

Cheers Kiwi
Yes same as EV show... but I think we are around the back this time. Have a look at the map on that site.

Had a great show the boys from Canberra hillclimb gave me an invite to come a race at one of there events.

On another note I have been researching smaller diameter wheels for the rear I can get a 15" 45 × 165 tire which would be equal to changing my Diff ration from 5.44 to 5.88 im going to try some cheap tires just to see if it gives better performance.

Cheers Kiwi

Well
I finally give up :twisted:

The RMS sent a reply for the USA guys its worth a google search on the ADR Australians design rules ADR 79 is a emissions :roll:

I really don't know what to do :? I may take the motor and batteries and put in the ute.

Cheers Kiwi

Oh man, that sucks!
After all the work you put towards making it road worthy to! I bet it could be reregistered in almost any other country, but Australia.

It's like I always say; They're expanding the bureaucracy to meet the expanding needs of the bureaucracy.

We can only hope that one day this lunacy will stop.

Cheers

I have been to MEV and the owner is a really nice chap. He has made so many cars I don't know where he finds the time. Many are mx5 powered or electric. This one is a ford focus though.

He also has a real clean workshop, with a spiral staircase to a mezzanine level with views out over a large valley slowly filling with wind turbines. Really nice. Really really nice. I would never go home.

One of them dream job things I reckon.

My cousin is a VW nut. Got all excited about a guy on the VW forums making an electric VW.

Oh that's Conrad I said. Couldn't believe I knew him. ;)

Love your work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Samd said:
My cousin is a VW nut. Got all excited about a guy on the VW forums making an electric VW.

Oh that's Conrad I said. Couldn't believe I knew him. ;)

Love your work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks mate have just ordered the AC-50 motor, controller, adapter plate, cooler and engine bay covers the Bug is on the hoist replacing the front beam back to stock as there will be 90Kg of battery sitting up front :D

Cheers Kiwi

Cowardlyduck said:
Oh man, that sucks!
After all the work you put towards making it road worthy to! I bet it could be reregistered in almost any other country, but Australia.

It's like I always say; They're expanding the bureaucracy to meet the expanding needs of the bureaucracy.

We can only hope that one day this lunacy will stop.

Cheers

Yep they sent a guy from Sydney down 6 hours stay in a motel come out just to take a photo of the engine number and chassis number then drive home, then 2 more guys came down stayed 2 nights in motel to go thru the engineering, my engineer is talking to a solicitor but honestly I have had enough they want ESC and ABS now which came in the 30th of November 2015, 3 days before the engineer submitted his paperwork :roll:

Cheers Kiwi

kiwiev said:
Well
I finally give up :twisted:

The RMS sent a reply for the USA guys its worth a google search on the ADR Australians design rules ADR 79 is a emissions :roll:

I really don't know what to do :? I may take the motor and batteries and put in the ute.

Cheers Kiwi

So my mate who is the other half of EV Torque is importing a Porsche 357 kit from the states and is trying to convince me to relive the Sonic and try another engineer we are thinking og using Nissan Leaf drive with hack.

I have to get,

ABS
ESC
Some how same as my mate has anyone retro fitted any of this to other cars, would like all your thoughts please.

Cheers Kiwi

Back