Evolve Snubnose custom battery (17Ah)

glaf

1 µW
Hi all, after owning the Evolve Snubnose for about 3 years now, lots of carving along the french side of the river Rhein, frequent (if not daily) reading of this forum... I finally planned my battery update and ordered the Panasonic NCR-18650B (50 pcs.), inspired by whitepony HOORAY! - OK, this already happened last summer :)
Now, 9 months later, right after I became father, I finally managed to assemble my very first Li-Ion-battery for the Snubnose.
I have to admit that I'm not really talented with everything concerning handcraft, especially soldering, etc... all I try is to tinker as less bad as possible.
But I learned a lot and just wanted to give something back and share my experiences with you. Comments welcome.

First I sticked 5 cells together to one parallel pack (I used 2k-epoxy, not really cheap but works perfectly) and wrapped each pack with gaffer-tape:
file.php

This is how the packs will fit against each other into the original battery-case (to achieve highest packing density):
file.php

Now the part I'm not really proud of... used a big fat soldering iron (100W) and tried to solder as quick and short as possible... burned my fingers twice, copper is a pretty good heat-conductor :D ...
file.php

...but by soldering (and thereby serializing) the packs on the upper battery-layer only, the battery can stay flexible in itself. This is important as the deck is a bit flexible, too, and I wanted to avoid mechanical stress to the battery and the connections (copper braid) while I'm having fun riding the board (total load around 100kg).

Then I connected the balancer cables to the balancer. Stupid me: Didn't find the right connector (JST-PHR-something) - the balancer I ordered was actually a 12S balancer with a 10S firmware on it - so I soldered the wires directly to the pins. Sparking here and there but in the end it worked and it seems safe now.
file.php

I wrapped everything with transparent tape and put some plastics (waste from packaging) between the rows of cells in order to avoid shortcuts by abrasion of the isolation-tape:
file.php

Left: the original Evolve-controller
Middle: the 10S BMS with cutoff above 4,2V and below 2,9V
Right: the new battery
file.php

That's all! :)
After all I'm still a bit worried about the amount of energy stored in the cells (612Wh, quite a lot). Therefore I soldered two fuses between the connectors, one for charging (5A) and one for discharging (30A). But this won't help if one of the cells decides to get hot and burn the whole thing down. Especially as my soldering-capabilities are not the best on earth... and there's a little family around me, I don't live on my own any more. Yes, that's exactly why I'm storing and charging the board in the garage now :)
And I'm still not quite sure if the BMS itself is protected enough... in the end it got a bit tight in there and I had to lay it diagonal to the battery. I'm going to look into the case from time to time... hopefully I can prevent a failure by visual control.
We'll see!

Last weekend I had a first test... rode for about 1,5 hours (non-economy-mode) and still had 38V left. The original battery would have been flat after about 45 minutes... so it seems like a big improvement! Yeah!
But let's wait... the summer will tell the whole truth.

Happy riding!!!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 515
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 515
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 515
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 515
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 515
Wow! Pretty impressive work.
How do you like Evolve?
Haven't read much about it here.
Seems like Boosted is the king of the hill.

The snubnose is okay. Never had any problems with it. The overall quality seems really worth the money! The original battery is okay, too, but with improved skills and dozens of kilometers of nearly car-free roads, often windy conditions, etc, the 7Ah were not enough for me.
But I think I was lucky, it seems like the successor series (carbon and bamboo) had some quality issues with the trucks. I wouldn't tolerate security-issues. And Evolve is getting more and more expensive (at least in Germany), so today I believe I would build my own if I wouldn't have one.

UPDATE:

* Finally summer conditions in Germany (>25°C)
* After 26km in 1h15min (hard carving) on a flat street (along the river Rhein) without wind the red light shows up for the first time
* Battery voltage is exactly 37V, this means 50% capacity left
* This results in a total range of about 50km with the new battery :mrgreen: 8)

Back