Extra mile: Germany may create bicycle highways

BTW, just less than one week to go, before "cycling enthusiasts in Berlin will gather to discuss the possibilities of constructing bicycle highways across Germany."

And given talk about constructing "free charging stations for e-bikes"...

To address "concerns" about length of time it takes to recharge batteries. And to address "concerns" about less than "perfect" weather... And to promote electric traction. ("ebikes")

1)Build highways as per normal.
2) Erect canopy/tent(s) as per normal. The roof part at least. For weather protection. To extend cycling "season".
3) Slap on slabs of "thin film" solar cells. At least on top of sections having all day exposure to the sun and not sheltered by roadside trees, buildings, etc.
4)Connect up thin film cells to feed the grid.
5)Use the grid to feed 36 volt circuit strung on a cable/rail hung above the ground under the roof/canopy.

Stll to go:
6) Figure out stuff like the brushed connections as used for slot cars. So that ebikers can directly feed off the grid (fed by solar) rather than to use their own batteries... until they are ready to uncouple for that "last mile" trip to whereEVer.

Anybuddy here wanna punch holes in this approach?

Tap to me please? hehe

I am thinking Imbiss stube with hot bratwursts and beer so we can refuel for the journey ahead. 8) Most electric bikes I saw sold in Germany are pedelec.

^^ hehe... (Now gotta figure fart-powered into this equation maybe also.) Thinking is, how to "recharge" ebikes without recharging the batteries at all. So that poor Mädchen and Jungen (and those still pedaling antique poop-mobiles) can cycle for longer distances in more "all weather" fashion. Apart from direct solar cells, some of the newer designs for electric generation using wind power might be employed also. "Savonius". And the Spanish "Vortex Bladeless" et al. Anyway. Ya may have to pedal to get the assist to kick in, but not sure the electric controller cares where the electricity is actually coming from. ;)

kontakt@adfc.de
Today at 9:00 PM
To lock
Vielen Dank für Ihre E-Mail an die ADFC Bundesgeschäftsstelle.
Wir kümmern uns zeitnah um Ihr Anliegen.
Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Ihr ADFC-Team

[chuckle chuckle snort snort]

LewTwo said:
Disposable plastic poncho vending machines ?

Pfff... Not too interested in "disposable plastic" anything. Lifelong camper, and a sailor for most of my life... skiing also. And a cyclist. So I figure I actually know how to dress for the weather/outdoors. Maybe the cub and scout in me to "Be Prepared". :wink:

Back