Farfle joins the MENS club

nicobie said:
Think you'll have it done by the Sept. race?

Luke, and the others, might have a problem. :mrgreen:

That's the plan, the dual pie is pretty much cooked, may it rest in peace. I may turn the stator into a trophy for this race.

excuse my ignorance, (I did search) but what is the MENS club? (Google searches only bring up Gentlemen's Clubs :oops: )

Here's some motor CAD pr0n:

faniso.jpg

iso-1.jpg

isostator.jpg

cal3thousand said:
excuse my ignorance, (I did search) but what is the MENS club? (Google searches only bring up Gentlemen's Clubs :oops: )

Hmm, I cant find the thread. I shot a PM to AJ.

Farfle said:
cal3thousand said:

I looked it up myself today: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=16957
:D

MattyCiii said:
Farfle said:
cal3thousand said:

I looked it up myself today: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=16957
:D

Haha... thanks for the link. Looks like I need to figure out a mid mount for my next project. :twisted:

Farfle said:
... the dual pie is pretty much cooked, may it rest in peace. I may turn the stator into a trophy for this race.

Great trophy idea. I don't mean to make light of it, but what happened? Did you try the oil and the motor objected to it being the best thing since sliced bread? :lol:

John

Nothing that extreme, since I put the big tires on, it's overheatind issue got made worse, then I tried to race a turboed WRX from a stoplight, I beat him the first time,I beat him the second time too, but the motor was already really hot. And then sitting at a stoplight for a while let the heat soak, and it demagnetized the magnets, plus that stator iron has been stuffed since the moment I made it, 1kw of no load heat. Im pretty much done with it, A trophy would be a fitting resting place for it.

Farfle,

If you could post up the drawing of the core, we could use it as the example for the FEMM tutorial. It would be more interesting to use a real example. We only need an accurate drawing or the dimensions of a single tooth profile, airgap, magnets and rotor yoke. What do you think? I've got most of the information already, from your photos.

Farfle said:
Nothing that extreme, since I put the big tires on, it's overheatind issue got made worse, then I tried to race a turboed WRX from a stoplight, I beat him the first time,I beat him the second time too, but the motor was already really hot. And then sitting at a stoplight for a while let the heat soak, and it demagnetized the magnets, plus that stator iron has been stuffed since the moment I made it, 1kw of no load heat. Im pretty much done with it, A trophy would be a fitting resting place for it.

At least you won. That's the important part. :mrgreen:

John

Miles said:
Farfle,

If you could post up the drawing of the core, we could use it as the example for the FEMM tutorial. It would be more interesting to use a real example. We only need an accurate drawing or the dimensions of a single tooth profile, airgap, magnets and rotor yoke. What do you think? I've got most of the information already, from your photos.

Absolutely, ill get magnet and airgap dimensions for you. My trial of sketchup pro ran out, so I cant export dxfs anymore. Ill see if the robotics team has a spare copy of autocad.

Farfle said:
Absolutely, ill get magnet and airgap dimensions for you. My trial of sketchup pro ran out, so I cant export dxfs anymore. Ill see if the robotics team has a spare copy of autocad.
If you give me the dimensions, it's only a few minutes work to do the drawing.

I think all I need for the core are:

Tooth head thickness
Inner diameter
and the radii of the fillets

Working from your photo, I get:

Tooth head thickness - 2mm
Inside diameter - 116mm
Fillet radii - 2.5mm & 1.5mm

Attachments

• Tooth-profile.png
    Tooth-profile.png
    30 KB · Views: 2,883
  • Stator.png
    Stator.png
    74.5 KB · Views: 2,883
Ok, few more pics. You were really close with those dims. I had to get out the feeler guages to measure the flux gap, Its REALLY small, its about .3mm and the upper raidus is 3.5mm

2012-07-12183743.jpg

Lower radius:
2012-07-12183714.jpg

2012-07-12183604.jpg

Great. Thanks.

Magnets 3.2mm thick?

Also, your 6.66mm for the stator yoke is up to the retaining lip. I estimated 10mm overall. Does that seem ok?
The central structure is a steel pressing? A check for the inside diameter of the core could be to take the inside diameter of the pressing and add 2x the thickness of the material that it's fabricated from?

It is 6.66mm, the retaining lip has been lathed off, asks yes, mags are 3.3mms thick.

The inside pressing is for all intents and purposes a solid piece of aluminum.

2012-07-12192220.jpg

Here's the first analysis, using N32 magnets... [scale in full sized image]
I've also attached the DXF

Max. flux density at 2.17 T

Attachments

• Ultramotor-1.jpg
    Ultramotor-1.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 2,765
  • Ultramotor.dxf
    80.7 KB · Views: 60
Miles said:
Here's the first analysis, using N32 magnets... [scale in full sized image]
I've also attached the DXF

Max. flux density at 2.17 T

Im looking at the picture, and im not sure what to think, is that good?

The magnet back-iron is well into saturation with N32 magnets and the tooth heads too. I wonder if there is any way we could find out what magnets they use? Gauss meter? You're sure the gap is as little as 0.3mm?

I can measure again, but its somewhat difficult, as the iron doesn't hold still with one sidecover off, and I don't have a set of calipers big enough to measure the OD of the stator and the ID of the magnets.

I remeasured it with 3 different feeler guages pressed around the edges, the flux gap is between .5mm and .6mm. I also did some winding calcs, and its good news. The original was 31 turns of 2 paralelled 18 awg and spun 420 rpm at 44v. So, if the stator is twice as wid e, but im running twice the voltage they should cancel out. So, ill rewind it with 5 turns of 12 paralelled strands of 18 awg.. Should get it spinning around 3k rpm at 100v and with a phase wire bundle thats the equivalant of almost 6 awg :twisted:

Back