FFR Trikes wins Pike's Peak 1st and 2nd places!!!

www.recumbents.com said:
Congrats to the FFR team!

You must have really geared those 3220 motors low to have a max speed of 32 MPH. In this case that is a very good thing. I'm impressed!

-Warren.

The lead trike averaged 32 mph so must have been geared for higher. Maybe 40+?

Great job guys !!!!.. congrats !.. awsome awsome awsome !!!!!!

( small chainring, are those jack shafted? .. or using geared BB ( i forget the name ) ) .. ? to pedal a those speeds?

Heavy cornering with the trikes is so much fun.. went playing at night this past weekend in the trails, the upright bikes could not keep up off-road even tho they had double the power on tap )

Awesome Job guys. I was always a bit averse to recumbents and things with more than 2 wheels, but you know what... I'm coming around...

Great job guys!!

That's awesome!! Great race. You just killed Optibike's marketing strategy. :mrgreen:
Whats the difference between the two different models?

The Astros are inrunners, so they would really benefit from a liquid-cooled shell. Good to see that one of the placing bikes used Matts air-fan...perhaps someday an Astro with both?

Last year the Optibike finally began selling their system with 48V instead of 36V. I suppose they wanted to advertise that the bike they were selling was winning races. Of course thats only because Pikes Peak wasn't yet on the ES radar screen. Optibike, if you'e listening, you need to produce an off-road only edition with 20S LiPo (72V-82V), 100V capacitors, 12-FETs, a motor with 50% more copper mass and a centrifugal air-fan, and ridden by an anorexic monkey with a bad attitude thats drinking Redbull.

I predict several more non-hubs will show up next year, and they will be geared for climbing...you have been warned.

www.recumbents.com said:

You must have really geared those 3220 motors low to have a max speed of 32 MPH. In this case that is a very good thing. I'm impressed!

-Warren.

Maybe geared so the power level required is a close match to the power level at maximum efficiency?

rscamp said:
www.recumbents.com said:

-Warren.

Maybe geared so the power level required is a close match to the power level at maximum efficiency?

Oh, score! It took an RC guy to figure that one out!

Good call......

Matt

Hey Guys, Way to go! Soo Glad to see some other folks hitting the hill, and giving these guys a run for the money!

Nice to see some Astro Motors drawing a new line in the sand.

Josh K.

spinningmagnets said:
The Astros are inrunners, so they would really benefit from a liquid-cooled shell. Good to see that one of the placing bikes used Matts air-fan...perhaps someday an Astro with both?

Last year the Optibike finally began selling their system with 48V instead of 36V. I suppose they wanted to advertise that the bike they were selling was winning races. Of course thats only because Pikes Peak wasn't yet on the ES radar screen. Optibike, if you'e listening, you need to produce an off-road only edition with 20S LiPo (72V-82V), 100V capacitors, 12-FETs, a motor with 50% more copper mass and a centrifugal air-fan, and ridden by an anorexic monkey with a bad attitude thats drinking Redbull.

I predict several more non-hubs will show up next year, and they will be geared for climbing...you have been warned.

Yes we agree :D

D7K_1453.jpg

This is a new motor we are testing:

120 volts
1000 amps
9.8 lbs
5" long x 5" dia

recumpence said:
rscamp said:

Oh, score! It took an RC guy to figure that one out!

Good call......

Matt

Certainly applies to helis where you are trying to keep motor temperature down and head RPM constant. We never want to run for extended periods on the wrong (right) side of the efficiency curve.

This application requires fewer motor turns to get more power as the controller is limited - the efficiency curve can't be moved to the right with higher voltage.

Looking forward to trying my new drive on the Sydenham hill here in Dundas. :)

voicecoils said:
FFR Trikes said:
Here's a highlight reel from the hill climb with our trikes. A full uncut video will follow.

[youtube]bS6JVhX0d8c[/youtube]

Congrats FFR!

Excellent video too, it captured an exciting race atmosphere.

Hey! There I am. Number 725 Wooot!!!

Absolutely superb racing, FFR. It also puts trikes on the racing map, just like in Europe where they regularly hold trike races. Bad to the bone! Oh yeah. Congrats also to Astroflight, an American company!
otherDoc

Congrat to FFR !..

Thanks for the video!..

Doc

I think a HUGE congrats should go to Itchynackers for coming in 3rd behind the two FFR Trikes and ahead of all the Optis. He's the only ESer that entered (that I know of) and came in 3rd place on his home-built 9C oil-filled motor and wore a white t-shirt to boot! :shock: :D

ambroseliao said:
I think a HUGE congrats should go to Itchynackers for coming in 3rd behind the two FFR Trikes and ahead of all the Optis. He's the only ESer that entered (that I know of) and came in 3rd place on his home-built 9C oil-filled motor and wore a white t-shirt to boot! :shock: :D

+1 !

Ypedal said:
ambroseliao said:

+1 !

+1 again!

I just realized something....Adam was a full SIX MINUTES AHEAD of the first Optibike!
Adam - dude, you CRUSHED IT! Congrats on your amazing and impressive results!!!!
You have definitely proven the benefit of high voltage and oil cooling!!!

JKB

Adam - do you have any onboard camera video for your Pike's Peak run? We need to make a bitchin video of your run too!

JKB

No, I couldn't get my ipod touch working at the starting line. I keep waiting for optibike to post their race videos, and waiting, and waiting....

HAHA gotta love the marketing ploys. I guess they have to sell the $15,000 dollar bike somehow. :mrgreen: From the newsletter they emailed

Team Optibike at the Pikes Peak Ascent
Team Optibike was lined up for our 4th ascent of Pikes Peak. Since 2006, Optibike has held the record for the fastest electric bike ascent of Pikes Peak in Colorado. Team Optibike consisted of 3 Optibike 1100R's and one Optibike 850R, 3 of these bikes were "stock" ie, the same bikes that are available to the public. One of the 1100R's was modified with narrower tires and handlebars as it is used as a pace bike for professional cyclists at indoor velodromes.

In previous rides up Pikes Peak, the race started in Manitou Springs, with a course length of 26 miles, and 8500 vertical feet of elevation gain. 2012 was the first year of the new shortened course, the total ride was only 12 miles and 4500 feet of elevation gain. This new course was significantly easier than in previous years, opening the field of electric bikes to include hub motor powered bikes and other direct drive bikes which could never complete the old course due to their inherently inefficient fixed gear ratio design.

In addition to the 4 stock Optibikes, there were a pair of 4000+ watt 3 wheeled trikes made by a new company called FFR Trikes and a homemade hub motor powered E-bike with an astonishing 128v motor and 3000w of power! With 4x the power, the trikes easily summited in first and second places, followed by the 3000w hub motor powered bike, which was on the verge of overheating at the summit, according to its pilot. John Sagebiel, Optibike owner, was in 4th place overall with a time of 31 minutes. John used approx. half of the battery capacity of the stock Optibike 1100R he was riding (which happens to be the same bike that Jim Turner, Optibike President, commutes on daily!)

The "velodrome" Optibike 1100R came in just after John, followed by the Author on a stock 1100R. Local Optibike customer Jason L. was the final Optibike to summit on his stock 850R that he uses as a daily commuter. In the end, the whole Optibike team finished, and we could not be happier to be the first place production electric bike to summit, once again.

It just so happens, that Optibike production manager Kyle Hale rode up the only other Colorado 14,000+ ft peak with a paved road on the same day, Mt. Evans. He chose not to come down to Pikes Peak because the new shorter course looked "boring." Look for his story, complete with pictures soon!

We are already looking forward to next year!
Whats with the last paragraph? They got beat at Pikes Peak so the production manager decides to go ride Mt. Evans? :oops:

An Aesop Fable:

One hot summer's day a Fox was strolling through an orchard till he came to a bunch of Grapes just ripening on a vine which had been trained over a lofty branch. "Just the thing to quench my thirst," quoth he. Drawing back a few paces, he took a run and a jump, and just missed the bunch. Turning round again with a One, Two, Three, he jumped up, but with no greater success. Again and again he tried after the tempting morsel, but at last had to give it up, and walked away with his nose in the air, saying: "I am sure they are sour."

It is easy to despise what you cannot get.
wildharemtbkr said:
HAHA gotta love the marketing ploys. I guess they have to sell the $15,000 dollar bike somehow. :mrgreen: From the newsletter they emailed

Team Optibike at the Pikes Peak Ascent
Team Optibike was lined up for our 4th ascent of Pikes Peak. Since 2006, Optibike has held the record for the fastest electric bike ascent of Pikes Peak in Colorado. Team Optibike consisted of 3 Optibike 1100R's and one Optibike 850R, 3 of these bikes were "stock" ie, the same bikes that are available to the public. One of the 1100R's was modified with narrower tires and handlebars as it is used as a pace bike for professional cyclists at indoor velodromes.

In previous rides up Pikes Peak, the race started in Manitou Springs, with a course length of 26 miles, and 8500 vertical feet of elevation gain. 2012 was the first year of the new shortened course, the total ride was only 12 miles and 4500 feet of elevation gain. This new course was significantly easier than in previous years, opening the field of electric bikes to include hub motor powered bikes and other direct drive bikes which could never complete the old course due to their inherently inefficient fixed gear ratio design.

In addition to the 4 stock Optibikes, there were a pair of 4000+ watt 3 wheeled trikes made by a new company called FFR Trikes and a homemade hub motor powered E-bike with an astonishing 128v motor and 3000w of power! With 4x the power, the trikes easily summited in first and second places, followed by the 3000w hub motor powered bike, which was on the verge of overheating at the summit, according to its pilot. John Sagebiel, Optibike owner, was in 4th place overall with a time of 31 minutes. John used approx. half of the battery capacity of the stock Optibike 1100R he was riding (which happens to be the same bike that Jim Turner, Optibike President, commutes on daily!)

The "velodrome" Optibike 1100R came in just after John, followed by the Author on a stock 1100R. Local Optibike customer Jason L. was the final Optibike to summit on his stock 850R that he uses as a daily commuter. In the end, the whole Optibike team finished, and we could not be happier to be the first place production electric bike to summit, once again.

It just so happens, that Optibike production manager Kyle Hale rode up the only other Colorado 14,000+ ft peak with a paved road on the same day, Mt. Evans. He chose not to come down to Pikes Peak because the new shorter course looked "boring." Look for his story, complete with pictures soon!

We are already looking forward to next year!
Whats with the last paragraph? They got beat at Pikes Peak so the production manager decides to go ride Mt. Evans? :oops:

You have to understand, Opti has a lot riding on their reputation. They are a very high-end marketted product. They are also built well. But, they got beat, period....... Why can they not just give credit where credit is due? It was not having more power than got FFR to the top first. Heck, Green can testify to that. It was a HUGE amount of R&D and testing. They did some very technical testing using logged data and multiple gear ratio hill climb tests along with trying various cooling options and so much more than I have room to type here. I put a lot of time into heat research on the Astro motors (as well as Astro themselves). FFR and myself have done many, MANY hours of testing related to current ripple in the controllers, and efficiency testing. This was not a matter of "Put power into it with a ton of batteries and you will win." It was R&D, plain and simple.........

What Opti did not mention is the huge time difference between FFR and their guys. To get that far ahead requires a huge amount of additional power. FFR did not waste power. They made it up with less than half of the assumed power useage.

Matt

Back