First Annual ES Award

Lock

100 MW
So... Notice anything maybe missing from the "top sheet", etc here on ES?

Just to "set the scene", this ES thread re "Coin Operated Charging", here:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=51417

And the idea that some here may wish to donate some amount of money (any amount) to something or someone that has done something/anything to promote or support the electric bicycle in North America...

Recently I helped organize the "First Annual (maybe) TERA (the "Toronto Electric Riders Association") Ebike International Up Hill Climb" in Toronto (Think Pikes Peak "Light"...).

The objective was simply to promote the electric bicycle (and have fun doing it).

And recently (actually, on Saturday, August 17 last) maybe ten ebike stalwarts took up the challenge to be the first to the top...

The course started on the road at the foot of the "Scarborough Bluffs" in the east end of Toronto. For some here that may not be familiar with this course, see here:
(Well, pics, etc are not hard to find on the Internet...)

Other than the fact we sorta all started at the same time, the one/only "stipulation" was that all contestants be riding what is legal in Canada, and in the province of Ontario, termed by our law the "power-assisted bicycle", and limited by law to 500 watts *continuous*...

There is perhaps only one pic/image of the winner extant, holding aloft the trophy (a "work-in-progress", basically a sorta large pewter candlestick...To be added maybe, a wooden bottom base plus top cup, and small plaques with the winner names and dates, of course...) And he was closely followed ("nipping at his heels") by another fellow riding a recumbent trike...

And some old half-dead white guy with one broken arm actually pedalled his ebike (trike) all the way to the top (with power-assist, if course), and finished sorta middle of the pack... (Won't mention any names... Hehe...) With "cargo" in his back basket... Stuff like a laptop computer with case, the trophy, and oddly enough, a pair of western spurs with buckles and leather straps (don't ask)...

On the way up we passed at least one pedal-only cyclist "climbing" the hill and pushing his bicycle on foot, doing the traditional (?) wheezing and grunting...

But I digress...

My thought was that ES might have a "donate button" somewhere easily visible on this site, with to accumulated amount "donated" clearly visible... And folks here are free to donate, or not...

Then once a year maybe, the Good People on ES might "vote"... To award some one "stalwart" of the "ebike cause"... Could be anybody, maybe that has worked tirelessly, maybe for free, to promote/support the "cause"...

Some here may know I recently had a bit of a misfortune (not ebike-related), and I felt VERY honored and humbled that some on ES "chipped in" some $$$ to help me out... But I am "just one guy"? There are many here just as deserving (or more so, IMHO)?

Justin L. comes to mind... Or "LFP"... Well, there are several/many already here on ES... Or maybe someone we (here on ES) have nEVer heard of?

So watt say you please? The objective here would be to start up an annual thingee... With winner to be determined by vote, and may the best man (or grrrl) win... The winner (if a business selling or repairing ebikes) would be welcome (maybe) to promote the fact (That they were the ES winner one year)...

Thank you

Laughlin ("Lock") Hughes
Toronto (stuck between the two coasts, east and wet)

I AM WITH LOCK!..ES is the world center for e-bike info....why not be the WORLD LEADER for e-bike promotion and development....WE CETAINLY HAVE THE TALENT...LETS USE IT.....IDEAS!IDEAS!IDEAS!!!!

Back