First commute on my 'bent

kbarrett said:
Well ... I got home, and had two spokes completely stripped out.

I'm sure that you know that the radial spoke pattern is exacerbating your problem here, but I don''t know if you can do a 2 or 3-cross with that large hub and the small rim. Basic geometry and static stress analysis will tell you that for a given torque, the radial pattern puts the most linear stress on the spoke nipple, which is brass and cannot take the linear pull. Can you do a 2 or 3-cross lacing?

Willie

Geez...I guess the ebike Gods have deemed you're not to have a radially spoked rim period!
That sure is alot of thread showing on those spokes,how far did they screw into the nipple & what gauge spokes were they?

Yep,if I were you I'd never want to see another radially spoked wheel again,talk about sh*t
luck.Once you get the wheel cross spoked hopefully that will be the end of it and you can get on with some worry free ebiking...

Eric

I'll adjust the brakes once I get the wheel re-spoked ... thanx for the advice.

I talked to the folks at ebikes.ca ... they said that cross once was the best I could do with a 20" wheel and a 40x hub.

All of the spokes showed 2 or 3 millimeters of thread, and none of them were even near the end of the tube side of the nipples. Just too short is all. If done properly, all of those nipples should be cutting their own threads into virgin spoke, and might require a little filing on the tube side.

Hopefully I'll get it done right this time.

I've got it all back together ... this time without a bunch of extra thread showing on the spoke ends.

Got a test run done, no errors, no spoke self destruction.

Looks like my 36V 18 AH battery is really a 36V 16.75 AH battery ... this might 'splain why Ping stopped selling 18 AH batts, and started advertising 15 AH and 20 AH ... heh.

Looks like I can get about 17 miles ( and about a third of that on gravel ) before the controller decides I'm done.

Not bad for a $300 battery.

Attachments

• respoked.jpg
    respoked.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 970
Yea, justin begged off on sending me a cross once set. Apparently they have yet to set up one of the new non-dished 40x rears with a cross-once 20" wheel.

Still running commutes this past week ... no disasters yet.

I am spending more time out in the lane to avoid crap.

If you don't mind the extra $20-$30 to get your wheel respoked at a LBS, they did a fine job for me, it lasted for over 6 years with my old Heinzmann.
My LWB recumbent is in my livingroom getting refurbished into the most discrete E-bike of the decade, just need some Lifebatts to finish the project and post it on here.

Except I'm using the 406 on the front 20" wheel, @ 48 volts. Hope i get enough power and speed.

Glad you found a strong wheel, kbarrett.

Back