First E bike A2B need help.

I went and checked out his wheels. He has a Gen 2 motor wheel. But that’s it Nothing else.

So if I get a motor wheel from him I would need a
Gen 2 A2B controller

Or

Get a aftermarket controller to adapt with the new wheel.

I haven't seen a Gen 2 in person, so not very familiar with the layout, but yes you would need either a A2B external controller or a generic controller mounted outside the frame. I have heard unfavorable reports about the Gen 2 controller, so I wouldn't recommend it.

So if you had 2 options what route would you choose

#1 Gen 1 Motor with integrated Hub Controller

OR

#2 Gen 2 wheel and Gen 2 controller

Actually, in your position, I would have to broaden the options to incude a third:

OR

#3). Gen 1 or Gen 2 motor with external generic controller.

It would also depend upon more details of 'fechters' unfavourable reports regarding the Gen 2 controller.

As far as I know, there is no difference in power output etc between Gen 1 & Gen 2 actual motors?

I chose to be 'stuck' with the Gen 1 in-hub controller, including it's over-sensitive thermo cut out, until such time as it fried itself completely and required total replacement - with an external generic unit! ;)

Otherwise, I'd probably go your #2 route, as at least any other serious controller glitches could be dealt with without splitting the bloody hub in order to do so!

:)

Like I said above:

I can get a Gen 2 Wheel all ready to go. With tire and wheel for $100

What’s the process of getting the A2B retrofitted with the Gen 2 wheel and the A2B controller or Generic controller.

Setting up a generic controller should be fairly straightforward other than where to mount the controller.

The issue with the factory controller I heard was some kind of feature that causes it to stop if you hit a bump in the road and you have to cycle power to get it started again. I can't verify this is true but was from someone maintaining a rental fleet.

Fair price on the Gen 2 wheel etc.

On the rear rack frame might be a good place to mount a generic controller.
Then a standard Metro slide-on 2nd rear battery could also go underneath later if required?

So the Gen 2 doesn't like bumps in the road! Strange.. was that an isolated case or do they all apparently do it?
Sounds like a bad connection in the standard wiring might also cause the same thing?

Quieter & more efficient (and by the sounds of it, more reliable) with a good generic controller anyway, I reckon.

;)

E-Glider said:
So the Gen 2 doesn't like bumps in the road! Strange.. was that an isolated case or do they all apparently do it?
Sounds like a bad connection in the standard wiring might also cause the same thing?

From what I heard they all do it. It was a design feature. I think it was supposed to kill power if the bike tips over, but just a big bump could accidentally trigger it.

Thanks for your update.. I didn't know that!
Sounds a bit too 'smart' for it's own good really!
Maybe a Mercury Switch, getting 'shaken' not 'tipped'? ;)

All the more reason for OP to consider a generic Controller?

Very frustrating this thread !
I have a near new Gen 2 hub/wheel and external controller +throttle etc etc ( +frame battery !) in my garage gathering dust !.you would be welcome to it,.but freight would make shipping impractical ! (Australia !)
Point to note..
The external A2B controller (500W rated ?) needs a seriously modified frame to install.
Its a weird shaped open unit designed to be part of the frame and includes all the battery switch relays etc...all heavily potted and impossible to identify connections
I dont think its practical to use that controller on a gen 1 frame easily..
Use a generic controller..it will be a simpler and neater install
..sorry i couldnt help more
..and yes, i can confirm the random cut out/reset issue on the Gen2 ( mine was a Velocity)...a very annoying trait that wasnt always due to a bump...often just random ?
Another good reason to not use A2B controllers.

Quick note:
Maybe your frustration is confusing you?
I am in Australia, yes - but 'Gwest' OP who requires parts, appears to be in RedWoodCity?

Do you mean A2B also altered the 'Metro' frame config in order to fit their Gen 2 controller?
I have never seen one in the flesh, but assumed that it fairly easily just replaced the Gen 1 Frame cap/switch module/wiring hairball there?

Hopefully OP decides to go for a generic controller anyway - and perhaps your wheel?

No,..its because i am in Australia, and Gwest is in Redwood USA !
Aussie Post prices would make it a $200 wheel !
This is the external controller from a Metro..
7PUTBN.jpg

H0jZdA.jpg

Haha! G'day Mate! We got there finally!
Yep.. that is a bit steep (the price, not the hill).

Thanks for the pix.. I'm in Melbs, so your bits are hiding in Syd - in case I ever need any?

;)

Cheers: I’m in Redwoodcity but both my parents are from Aus. Sidney (Dad) Pamarada (Mom)

So it sounds like my best thing to do is go with a aftermarket controller & wheel.

I’m in need of some Help! Fletcher can you help me ? I could drop off the bike and pay you for your time and labor parts and what ever

Unfortunately I don't have time for any more projects, but I have a whole bike with a dead battery that can be parted out.

Gwest said:
Cheers: I’m in Redwoodcity but both my parents are from Aus. Sidney (Dad) Pamarada (Mom)

So it sounds like my best thing to do is go with a aftermarket controller & wheel.

I’m in need of some Help! Fletcher can you help me ? I could drop off the bike and pay you for your time and labor parts and what ever

Yeah.. getting pretty wintery down-under at the moment, so your not missing much mate! ;)

Guys, would I be right in thinking that the A2B Gen 2 wheel/hub would NOT need to be split, in order to hook it up to a generic external contoller - unlike the Gen 1 version?

If so, that might be the easiest option for you ~ at least then you'd 'only' be on a re-wiring mission, rather than a full hub strip-down too?

E-Glider said:
Guys, would I be right in thinking that the A2B Gen 2 wheel/hub would NOT need to be split, in order to hook it up to a generic external contoller - unlike the Gen 1 version?

If so, that might be the easiest option for you ~ at least then you'd 'only' be on a re-wiring mission, rather than a full hub strip-down too?

Yes, as far as I can tell you would only need to mess with the wires and not need to open the motor.

Back