Fitting Front Hub Motors to Quick Release Forks.

dogman dan

1 PW
The key to preventing spinout of front hub axles is three key items. Tourque arms are a good idea, but getting these two things right is even more important.

1. Selecting an appropriate fork, made of steel.

2. Getting the nut tight.

3. Getting the fit of the washers correct, so the nut stays tight.

Even though a fork may be steel, some are too light to be very strong. A great number of forks designed for quick release hubs have had the dropouts shaved down to the bare minimum of metal to save weight. Such forks may not have the extra strength needed to handle the forces of a hub motor, even a 500 watt one. You want forks with lots of extra metal. Often these forks are found on cheaper bikes, and new forks can be bought for expensive bikes that are strong. Forks intended for bmx bikes tend to be strong for mounting footpegs on the front wheel. Surly also makes a good strong fork. On the cheaper mountain bikes, the suspension forks may have steel lower tubes and dropouts. With these steel suspension forks clearance for the motor may be very tight. 9c motors may be the best choice for these narrow forks.

The bike I'm fitting this fork to is similar to some I've seen in bike shops, Trek, Giant, etc that sell in the $250-$350 price range. Still sorta low end, they still have a steel bottom end on the suspension fork, or maybe even non suspension. The forks have the smaller cup or lawyer lips designed for QR. These bikes are often chosen for motors because they have steel forks, and are a bit better quality than the $160 mongoose or pacific at wallmart. The pix show a mongoose bike I found at the flea, that had steel suspension forks that were a better quality than found on wallbikes. 60mm travel instead of 40, and much thicker stronger tubes with a welded on dropout. The rest of the bike is nice too, with good components and 100 mm travel rear suspension. $20 at the flea, :mrgreen: Mongoose IBOC with Fusin gearmotor.jpg

This shows the dropouts from a set of steel suspension forks on a mongoose bike, and how the cup for the QR hub looks. These "lawyer lips" are the problem when fitting a hub motor since the motor washers are bigger. Looking at the dropout in the background, you can see how the cup is stamped into the dropout. The cup is perfectly fitted to the quick release hub so if the hub gets loose the wheel won't fall out. QR in dropout..jpg

This shows the way a motor hub washer fits the dropout. Hub motors have a larger axle with flat sides so the nuts and washers are larger than normal. Even if your bike has bolt on wheels, you may still have this problem. Look close at the gap between the washer and the bottom of the cup. This is the critical area that causes spinout. As you ride, the washer slowly bends, deforming into the cup. Eventually this causes enough space to loosen the nut. Just a bit of loosening greatly reduces the ammount of force it takes to allow the axle to spinout. When using an aluminum alloy fork, tightening the nut with this gap there can result in a hairline crack, that causes the wheel to fall off later. Do not use alloy forks! Torque washer too big.jpg

The old school way to fix this is with a lockwasher, from a large bolt. This doesn't work with the tab on a tourqe washer, and the washer is still just slightly too big for this set of dropuouts. With just a bit of grinding to make the washer smaller, this would work with a tourqe arm just fine. Another approach could be to grind the tourqe washer smaller, but that would weaken it a lot. Lock Washer.jpg

The solution for this is a special C washer sold by Ebikes.ca . But being cheap and in a hurry, I cut the lockwasher into a C washer, and pinched it tighter so it fit into the cup.View attachment 2

This shows the hub installed. If you look very close, you can see the c washer completely fills the space so the tourqe washer does not contact the fork and all the forces of the tightend nut are on the bottom of the cup. The washer is now supported so it can't deform into the space and let the nut get loose. If you have a tourqe arm, substitute it for the tourque washer. You also see in this picture that the hub doesn't fit between the forks. One nice thing about the cheap steel forks is that you can bend them to create the needed clearance. In this case, a good hard pinch with vise grips gave me the extra 1/8" I needed.installed hub..jpg

That covers getting the fit right, which should prevent the nut from loosening. In my experience, usually not getting a flat for at least 1000 miles, I have not had the nuts get loose on a properly fitted hub.

As you tighten the nuts, look very closely for any sign that the axle wants to spit out of the dropout. This is a big red flag that something doesn't fit right and spreading forces are being put on the forks. At first the forces push the axle out, later they just bend the dropouts into a V shape.

Sometimes the axle won't quite fit into the dropouts. Filing away paint is OK. Filing off the metal is not. A better approach is to shave the flats of the axle, but again, not a lot. If it really really won't fit, Get new forks. Sometimes a fork has a flat dropout, but has little tabs on the tips to keep a loose wheel on the bike. Bending the tabs down may work, or file them off. Just don't weaken the dropout!

Now to the question of how tight? You want it tight, but I have stripped out an axle using too big a wrench. What I do now is use a small crescent wrench with a handle about 6" long. Tighten the nuts snug, but not tight. Then start making them tighter, a little bit at a time. Get them fairly tight. Then spend a half hour or more wiring the bike, or having a beer. Then after any tiny bit of metal deformation has happened to the washers, tighten pretty hard with the short wrench. I have not had a loose nut, or a stripped axle since I started this procedure. The time I stripped an axle, I was using a long wrench and all my strength.

If the hub is not fresh out of the box, like you are fixing a flat, you can tighten the nuts all the way in one go. The washers are already settled into the dropouts and won't need the half hour.

Lots of good tips!

On my first build I ground off the lawyer lips but on the second I shaped the anti-spin washers to fit within the protrusions like so;

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10664

-R

The stamping of the lawyer lips is usually the same on all cheap steel suspension forks, ie the depth and circumference is done the same because they use the same machine to do the stamping regardless to what fork they weld the dropout to during manufacturing.
That said there is SAE hardware available that is the exact depth and circumference of this stamp; a 5/16" sae flat washer fits perfectly into the stamping! Funny thing is as I work in the industry, the hole in the center of the washer is exactly 3/8" but 5/16" sae flat washer is what you order at the hardware store. I hope you know what I'm getting at here :p . Next step is to braze weld the washer into place, you don't want to arc weld as this leaves rough edges and doesn't get the proper penetration and fusion; you want to braze weld as this is like soldering copper plumbing but with higher heat and stronger solder ie bronze. You will need a oxy/mapp setup at least for the required amount of heat. Next use a dremmel to cut the 'C' in the dropout to match the fork.
You have now effectively filled in the metal stamping and made the dropout stronger and perfectly flat to accept any stock torque washer.
And with a touch of paint your fork looks totally unmodified because there is no heavy welding required.
I do this mod to all my forks and I wear them out once a year because of the hub motor.
Another mod I do is to install grease fittings into the slide point near the top of the fork for quick and easy lubrication; vastly extends the life of these cheap steel suspension forks :D

That is a really good solution for those who have the capability, and a good Idea to spend the money to have a pro do it. I like the way it strengthens the dropout. Brilliant.

John in CR just welds on new mondo dropouts. I thought about using a smaller washer, but cutting it would be a bit of a pain, but your method, with it brazed to the fork, sounds great. Cutting the washer open gets easy once it's brazed to the fork.

On Russels forks, it looks like the cup is not as deep as the one I had to deal with, so all he had was the tabs to deal with. I think the deep cups are responsible for a lot of hub spinouts. The time I spun one, 1/2 mile into the first ride one the first ebike, the forks had deep cups for QR hubs.

dogman said:
That is a really good solution for those who have the capability, and a good Idea to spend the money to have a pro do it. I like the way it strengthens the dropout. Brilliant.

John in CR just welds on new mondo dropouts. I thought about using a smaller washer, but cutting it would be a bit of a pain, but your method, with it brazed to the fork, sounds great. Cutting the washer open gets easy once it's brazed to the fork.
I did the grind and make it fit thing in the past because I thought the lawyer lips were helpful in case of axle spin. This is not the case at all infact
because the improper fit actually causes axle loosening and failure. Having double thick dropouts with easy work is a bonus as well as this repairing partially spun dropouts.
Your forks in your photo's are ideal for this mod. You could just burn the paint off with the torch and wirebrush clean before brazing in the washers. Then light dremmel work to make them perfect.
Ben from Ottawa Canada......

I have tried my 700w rated Cammy_CC front hub on two bikes now and I cannot get it to fit into either. Should I expect to be doing some grinding, or are the dropouts just too small to begin with? Cheers.

Not much to say without some good pix of the problem. Is it the flats of the axle too big for the slot? if so, most will say file down the axle, in the spot where the dropouts are, leaving it alone where the nut goes. If it is only exess paint, then you can file that out of the dropout.

What sort of forks are they? QR forks or bolt on hub? Expensive bike or wallmart $150? Replacing the forks is a possibility, BMX forks are strong, and Surly makes some really strong ones for cargo bikes.

The Mighty Volt said:
I have tried my 700w rated Cammy_CC front hub on two bikes now and I cannot get it to fit into either. Should I expect to be doing some grinding, or are the dropouts just too small to begin with? Cheers.

Quick release fork dropouts generally measure about 9.5mm wide while the motor axle is 10.0mm wide so some filing is required. Usually just filing the flats of the dropout to remove the paint is sufficient to get the clearance required. You want the axle to be snug in the dropout but not so tight you have to hammer it in. To get the axle to slide in all of the way to the top of the dropout you'll have to re-radius it a bit. The dropout will spread open over time just from installing and removing the wheel several times. To keep this to a minimum use two wrenches to torque down the nuts on each side simultaneously otherwise the act of tightening a nut can rotate the axle in the dropout.

dropout6.JPG

-R

Hi there, thanks for your comments: I got the HUB to fit into the Dropouts of a NON quick release hub, after some jostling.

But there is no chance {YET} of it dropping into the dropouts of the QuickRelease- they are simply too small. Filing hem down now seems the best option, outside of buying a new bike.

Cheers fella!!!

TMV

This discussion has gone way off topic to dogman's original intent :evil:
LOOK AT HIS PHOTOS! He's not talking about any puny fifi pink spandex riding forks!
Steel wallmart bike type forks and the usual shit from china is what this is about.
Don't even ATTEMPT to mount a hub motor on speed bike forks! DAMN TROLLS! :mrgreen:
file.php

3/8" dropout is pretty rare these days; everything is metric on newer bikes.
These lawyer lips are not necessarily for quick realease but I have seen all recent wallybikes with them.
I guess the subject title is misleading. Should be beefing up your cheap-ass wallymart forks :lol:

Affliction said:
This discussion has gone way off topic to dogman's original intent :evil:
LOOK AT HIS PHOTOS! He's not talking about any puny fifi pink spandex riding forks!
Steel wallmart bike type forks and the usual shit from china is what this is about.
Don't even ATTEMPT to mount a hub motor on speed bike forks! DAMN TROLLS! :mrgreen:

I disagree. His pictures may be of a inexpensive fork but the techniques discussed are applicable to every installation. Heck my Raleigh E-bike has some very slender forks yet they have worked fine though they are more suited for a small geared motor rather than the heavy direct drive I used for a while. The forks on my Kona are much more stout but the dropouts themselves are essentially the same as the Raleigh. With the Kona I did just as I described in my previous post then contoured the torque washers to fit within the lawyer lips to do dual duty as both a filler and anti-spin washer in one.

-R

I have edited the first post, with more explanation of the type of bike you tend to find forks like this on, and a pic of the whole bike.

The forks are from a pretty good bike, but vintage enough to have steel suspension forks. The bike did have QR hubs on it, and the cup on the dropout does not fit a bolt on wheels washer either. Another post said the forks all have the same size cup, but I disagree, I had many forks around the house and most of the QR designs had this small cup that is hard to fill to properly fit a hubmotor. The non QR hubs often have a similar cup, but the lock washer fits into it without squashing it smaller, and the stock touque washer often fits fine unmodified.

I do agree though, that really lightweight though steel forks are not a good choice for a motor whether they are QR or bolt on. I just sent some forks to Justin for destruction testing so look for some comparisons of the faliure point on various types of forks. My first ride, on the first motor went 1/2 mile before I spun the hub, cut the wires and smoked the controller. That install was on a set of lightweight dropouts for a QR hub. That fork was so old there was no lawyer lips, no cup. It was simply so lightweight that the motor spun when a nut on the axle was not tight enough. Needless to say, my wife was really impressed with how cool this electric bike stuff is. The sneer has not left her face to this day.

I allways recomend that people use beefy steel front forks to mount motors. Good cromoly forks intended for heavy duty use are easy to get on line. Surly in particular makes some nice ones. But cheap ones for bmx or mountain bikes are out there that will fit a quality lightweight bike. Since I don't worry about weight on my ebikes, I tend to start with a cheaper bike, and just upgrade the components on it, especially the crankset and seat.

I don't care where threads go later on, the discussion is always interesting and educational. Only on the review threads do I try to "own " the first page by writing enough to fill it.

I am in a quandry too....My bike is a Raleigh Chinhook, aluminium frame, with a QR Forks.....but the forks themselves are made of STEEL- they enjoy a very solid bond when introduced to a magnet. This is intriguing, for me at least, in that the bike is designed for speed in every sense {speed of motion, speed of changeover} and then has great big steel forks. I really dont know if I should file them down, I think it would ruin the bike in that it could never really go back to being a MTB, to mention nothing of the safety issues. My opinion would be that if it dont fit, it dont fit, and your face and teeth just aint worth the risk. Obviously, in this case, the OP enjoys a situation where the filing is not an issue...I think that is an exception, and should not be regarded as the norm. Just my $0.02

Check out this bike... http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...ligan+26-in+Full+Suspension+Bike%2C+Adult.jsp
Read the reviews on it :lol: . This is the bike I purposely chose for my dual hub bike because of the front suspention forks.
The downtubes are really beefy and all steel. The whole bike is heavy and not an easy peddaler but it's perfect for modding to an E-bike.
Both my christalite 408's fit with no alignment issues. It has the same stamped cups on the dropout as dogman's fork.
The beauty of this bike is it soon becomes a complete piece of crap if no maintenace is done that they end up at the bike recyclers quite frequently. This is a good source for really cheap or free beefy forks for a hub motor :wink:
The forks are made by ZOOM and when you get used ones they are always siezed up. Siezed is better because that means the slides aren't worn out. A bit of grease and they are good as new! These forks were made with both options for brakes, V or disc and they should fit an X-5 with no problems. They have a good 3" of travel and I find they smooth out even the roughest of roads. I install a grease nipple in the center of the slides for easy maintenance. Couple pumps with a grease gun and they are smooth as silk. :mrgreen:

That is a nice fork for a motor. 3" travel? Wow that's a lot for a cheap bike. Most of the cheap bikes have only 40mm, 1.5" travel. I'm liking this new one for its 2.25 inch travel. And nicely, its for a bolt on hub, that usually has no need to file anything.

Lots of opinions on file the drops or file the axle on the tight fits on QR forks, but I vote for file the axle. Just a bit of a notch for the dropouts to fit. But the real solution is to get a set of cheaper, heavier forks for the motor, and keep the old forks and the wheel on hand for when you resell the bike later.

dogman said:
Lots of opinions on file the drops or file the axle on the tight fits on QR forks, but I vote for file the axle. Just a bit of a notch for the dropouts to fit. But the real solution is to get a set of cheaper, heavier forks for the motor, and keep the old forks and the wheel on hand for when you resell the bike later.

Since a QR dropout is about 9.5mm wide and the axles are a bit under 10.0mm removing the paint is generally enough to get the axle to slide in, it was on my two bikes anyway. Also paint is weaker than steel so it's probably best to get it out of there and have metal to metal contact.

-R

Oh yeah, I agree, filing only the paint is fine. But turn a noob loose with a file on dropouts, and next thing you know, he's gone and made a huge notch in the drops, weakening them. The axle is thicker, and would take a lot of effort to cut away too much, hence my advice to file paint only on the dropout, and if some radius is needed to make the axle fit into the dropout more, take the metal off the top of the axle, rather than cut the dropout deeper. We are talking about a dropout I'd consider too damn weak to even consider using myself, so you don't need to make it any weaker at all! It also leaves the dropout looking cherry for the eventual resale down the road someday.

We usually have about the same opinion Russell ,but I can always count on you to nail me when I get too vague as I try to write in nooblish. Thanks for keeping me in line. I love the way the sphere will bust my chops when I get full of crap.

Clarity is best, but I do try to make it simple enough for noobs to tolerate reading it. When I first got on the Sphere, every post I was like HUH??? Had to read everything 5 times to even begin to understand, with many references to battery university, and Justins website.

Hello all...I am making the switch from a Quick Release to a Front Hub. Here are my pics. How should I arrange the nuts and washers if I want to make the bike safer and more reliable?

The forks are ZOOM 391 Enduras and the dropouts are steel, I assume, as they hold a magnet.

Please have a look at my photos and push me in the right direction. Many thanks.

4132077786_b2a4f7a592.jpg
4132075080_e8ff3b03f9.jpg

Okay, so a magnet sticks to the drop-out and to the fork. Steel, I presume?

4131243889_aeeaa7cf4b.jpg
4132005852_26847ee29b.jpg

Left and Right Hand Sides Of The Hub As It Rests In The Forks.

Do I now need new washers, a new arrangement of the existing set-up, new torque arms, etc? Many thanks.

Don't ride with it as it currently is in the photos! Your axle will spin in short order with the washers like that.
4132077786_b2a4f7a592.jpg

Your pictures don't show the stamped cup properly but those are the same if not identical forks to mine. :mrgreen:
You need to a the very least get a washer that fits properly into the cup or do my mod of braze welding a washer into the cup to make the dropouts stronger. Take your forks to the hardware store and you'll find some flat washers that fit perfectly :D
Even a local auto shop would have these on hand and they could even braze them in for you. There's nothing to it, Just like soldering.
Just a bit of dremmel work to refinish the dropout and use your hub kit as is with all your current washers. :mrgreen:

The choice of forks looks fine, definitely steel, and the drops look beefy. The main issue is that the washer on the bottom fits into the cup. If the washer spans over any space it will later deform into the space, and that will allow the nut to loosen. There is also no tourqe washer, that is the washer with a tab on it that if properly installed on a strong dropout, can help the axle stay straight.

To get it done right, order a pair of C washers, and a tourqe arm from Ebikes.ca. It will be a lot cheaper than ruining motors, and controllers can blow when the wires get cut too. The c washers will fill in the cup, then a tourqe arm can be put on the side with no wires. Put the arm of the tourqe arm facing the rear of the bike. Or take the forks to a welder and get them beefed up, as Affliction advises. That method is a very good idea.

When I started this post, I mainly wanted to show people how the washer spans the cup and how that is a problem leading to spinout. Some forks have a cup the hardware store washers will fit into, but the higher price bikes may have a cup that only the C washer from Ebikes.ca can fit properly, unless you start modifying washers as I did.

dogman said:
When I started this post, I mainly wanted to show people how the washer spans the cup and how that is a problem leading to spinout. Some forks have a cup the hardware store washers will fit into, but the higher price bikes may have a cup that only the C washer from Ebikes.ca can fit properly, unless you start modifying washers as I did.
That's a good point dogman. When I originally discovered my fork fix I wanted to get these C washers because the fit of the nuts and washers was wrong and was actually spreading the dropouts! Tourqing my stack of washers down was actually making a wedge into the dropout.
I was wondering why my axle was always getting loose. I did have a small washer in the cup but it was too thin and warped under the torque of the nut. The C washers are a really good fix as they are thick and won't warp. But the best fix is to make the dropout as thick and flat as possible so it can't warp.
4132005852_26847ee29b.jpg

A perfectly flat surface is what these hubs want to torque down to. If you're not running 35+ amp controllers then you don't need torque arms either but I advise for torque arms if you are using any kind of regen! I was doing plug braking under a 1 ohm load for a while and I just couldn't keep the hub nuts tight. Too much torque in two rotational directions. :twisted:
Look at this puzzle this way, what will maximize the contact surface area of where the hub nut bolts?
A: a big ass washer..... WRONG! B: a flat and even dropout that the hub nut can have full and even contact pressure with ....GUESS?

Yup. That's why the bmx type forks are nice. Big ol flat chunk of cromoly with no dang cups for QR. Get the fit right and the tourqe washers are all you need for smaller wattages, like under 1000. I have 4000 miles on 750 watts with no loose nuts in all those miles.

Hi again, thanks for all your replies.

The wattage of the motor in question is a paltry 700w.

I will sand down the QR's to get a nice flat finish, then I will post updates for opinions.

Many thanks. :)
TMV

The Mighty Volt said:
Hi again, thanks for all your replies.

The wattage of the motor in question is a paltry 700w.

I will sand down the QR's to get a nice flat finish, then I will post updates for opinions.

Many thanks. :)
TMV
:shock: Don't do that! You don't want to be removing metal from the dropout as this weakens and compromizes it!
You need all the strength you can get here. All the motor torque is applied to that one spot so you don't want it failing.
Get some washers that fit the cup properly or you might be eating dirt when the dropout inevitably fails.
I had a set of steel forks on my last bike with a wilderness energy kit. The forks were the same manufacturer, ZOOM.
Luckilly I wasn't travelling at any speed when the axle spun and split the steel in half shorting out the motor wires and blowing my controller in the process! Even steel dropouts can shear off. You have to keep in mind the fact that bike parts in general were not designed for mounting hub motors on. You have to make things stronger if you can and pay particular attention to installation methods as they differ from normal bicycles.
You are putting torque on a dropout where a regular bicycle hub never does this.

I agree, remove only excess paint from dropouts, steel of aluminum.

Back