Forks over Knives <health>

140444d1432661454-gravel-yard-around-shop-weeds-uploadfromtaptalk1432661405187.jpg

Thread: Gravel yard around shop.. weeds..
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/shop-management-owner-issues/gravel-yard-around-shop-weeds-304490/
I have had good results with raking the gravel to a smooth surface, then let the grass grow. Mow it when it gets up a few inches. Even with the grass, the gravel provides a firm surface for wheeled vehicles. Once the grass realizes that you don't care, it loses interest and becomes easy to handle. Regards, Clark
If you don't like having green life around, try Arizona.
Looks to me like you just need to cover that big empty area in junk machines or something, take away the sunlight.....
It's a gravel lot not a national park. Anyway, looking at the picture in the OP (has it always been there?) I'm wondering why not just let it grow and mow it like a lawn. If it gets cut every second week it might just look nice and green and "environmentally friendly". Is there a reason why gravel was used in the first place?
What is it that you want in return for removing the weeds?

I enjoy the green down the center of the drive as the summer matures.
My wife studies weeds, (seriously at university)...her suggestions:

Pour boiling water on them(we do this in our driveway)
Get a goat on a leash

I wish I could somehow separate myself from the word "vegan". It in no way describes, my diet. Whole food, plant based. That laves out all sorts of "vegan" foods. The vegan market is filled with processed foods, grown "organically" with fertilizers from some of the most polluting industries in food production. Chicken farms and confinement dairies and beef production. Nasty stuff all!

Yup, Roundup works. Works to well, for destroying a healthy soil food web. The facts are, not unlike fossil fuels, a diminishing returns and unsustainability.

Thanks for taking my post in the spirit it was written. You're one of the good guys. I've come to recognize that. Again, thanks for all you do!
Tom

dogman dan said:
There may well be new info about glyphosphate I don't know about. Not the first or last time I've been wrong about something.

But compared to other herbicides I've handled professionally, I'll still take roundup. I remember one that worked really good on nut grass growing in the cracks of the sidewalks on campus. A few drops of that on your skin would kill you, according to the label. When that stuff was used up and we returned to roundup, it was quite a relief. I didn't like Paraquat or 2-4D at all either. Equally scary, the fungicides routinely used on the golf course I worked at. Compared to that shit, I still feel roundup is much less of a hazard. But it's misuse, can be just as dangerous as any chemical.

Paying attention to pesticide safety and using protective gear kept my exposure low through a lifetime, and I never got sick from using them. The chronic fatigue was definitely viral, but in the process of diagnosis, I sure did wonder if I'd somehow poisoned myself. Happily, I wasn't getting poisoned by the wife. :lol: "Here's your sweet (antifreeze) tea honey, drink up." She's a professional chemist, If she wanted me dead, I'd be dead.

Weeds are easy to pull after a rain. LOL. I do mow regularly, but the goathead root is impossible to pull usually, and since it grows less than a half inch tall, mowing it is out. String trimmers could throw gravel through the neighbors windows. I could put down a soil sterilant on my driveway, but I choose a safer choice, pure glyphosphate. None of those crappy mixtures for me.

I wish I could somehow separate myself from the word "vegan".

Consider it done! :D I hate labels too, they force the user/observer to conform their thought into something.

I'd love to discuss monsanto's past,present,future, and Gmos more. Maybe If I throw 'gmo' in the title? Or would a new thread be better?

What I think I see, is a methodically systematic desecration and destruction of what humans need to survive in their natural states. WATER(F) AIR(SRM) FOOD(GMO)

The GM farming system has made exposure to Roundup herbicide a daily fact of our existence, and according to the latest US Geological Survey study its probably in the air you are breathing…

roundupA new study from the U.S. Geological Survey, accepted for publication online ahead of print in the journal Enviromental Toxicology and Chemistry, titled, “Pesticides in Mississippi air and rain: A comparison between 1995 and 2007,” reveals that Roundup herbicide (aka glyphosate) and its still-toxic degradation byproduct AMPA were found in over 75% of the air and rain samples tested from Mississippi in 2007.

The researchers evaluated a wide range of pesticides currently being used through weekly composite air and rain sampling collected during the 1995 and 2007 growing seasons in the Mississippi Delta agricultural region.

The researchers discovered the following:

Thirty-seven compounds were detected in the air or rain samples in 2007; 20 of these were present in both air and rain.
Glyphosate was the predominant new herbicide detected in both air (86%) and rain (77%) in 2007, but were not measured in 1995.
Decreased overall pesticide use in 2007 relative to 1995 generally resulted in decreased detection frequencies in air and rain, but observed concentration ranges were similar between years even though the 1995 sampling site was 500 m from active fields while the 2007 sampling site was within 3 m of a field.
Mean concentration of detections were sometimes greater in 2007 than in 1995 but the median values were often lower.
Seven compounds in 1995 and five in 2007 were detected in ≥50% of both air and rain samples. Atrazine, metolachlor, and propanil were detected in ≥50% of the air and rain samples in both years.
Total herbicide flux in 2007 was slightly greater than in 1995, and was dominated by glyphosate.
According to the report, 2 million kilograms of glyphosate were applied statewide in 2007, or 55% of the total herbicide flux for that year (~129 μg/m2), leading them to state the high prevalence of glyphosate in air and water “was not surprising.” Even though glyphosate was only tested in 2007, based on the 1995 figures on glyphosate use (147,000 kg state-wide) the researchers estimated that glyphosate added 3% of the total herbicide flux for 1995, or approximately 7 micrograms per centimeter (~7 μg/m2) per sample. This estimate, if correct, reveals that there has been an ~ 18 fold increase in glyphosate concentrations in air and water samples in only 12 years (1995-2007).

The researchers pointed out that, “the 2007 weekly air concentration pattern for glyphosate was similar to those of other commonly detected herbicides in both 1995 and 2007 in that the highest concentrations occurred in April and May. However, there were detectable concentrations of glyphosate over the entire growing season, which is consistent with how glyphosate is used on GM crops, including for post-emergent weed control throughout the growing season.” The longer period of exposure adds to growing concern that this ubiquitous toxicant represents an unavoidable body burden and that even small daily environmental exposures may be causing significant harm through their cumulative and synergistic effects with other toxicants.

So, what is the toxicological significance of the discovery of glyphosate in most air samples tested? In the month of August, 2007, if you were breathing in the sampled air you would be inhaling approximately 2.5 nanograms of glyphosate per cubic meter of air. It has been estimated the average adult inhales approximately 388 cubic feet or 11 cubic meters of air per day, which would equal to 27.5 nanograms (billionths of a gram) of glyphosate a day. Of course, when one considers the presence of dozens of other agrichemicals found alongside glyphosate in these samples, the interactions between them are incalculably complex and produce far more harm together than glyphosate alone (i.e. synergistic toxicity). Also, now that recent cell research has shown that glyphosate may act as an endocrine disrupter exhibiting estrogenic-like carcinogenicity within the part-per-trillion range, there is all the more reason to raise the red flag of the precautionary principle — especially since inhaled toxicants evade the elaborate detoxification mechanisms of ingested toxicants which must pass through the microbiome, intestinal lining and liver before entering the blood and only a long time later the lung far downstream.

This study brings to the surface the extent to which GM farming has altered our daily exposure to chemicals, such that even the rain and air we now breath contains physiologically relevant levels of glyphosate ‘fall out’ from the war against any plant not part of the monocultured, genetically engineered system of production. With a significant body of research now available today showing that glyphosate and its components are far more toxic than believed at the time of its widespread approval, the implications of ubiquitous glyphosate exposure should be carefully considered.

Ultimately, findings like these reveal just how illusory is the perception of choice and health freedom when it comes to the GM/non-GMO debate, and the consumer’s right to avoid harm from GMOs by refusing to buy or consume them. Not only are consumers in the U.S. not allowed to know what is in their food with accurate and truthful labeling of ingredients, we now know that biopollution from GMOs produces uncontrollable and irreversible changes in the genomes of affected organisms when their transgenes escape into them, and we know that even beyond their genomic/proteomic differences the contamination of GM foods with herbicides like Roundup (glyphosate) makes them non-substantially equivalent in chemical composition to their non-contaminated alternatives. The reality is that the environment is becoming so saturated with the ‘fall out’ from the ever-expanding GM agricultural/agrichemical farming grid that even if you somehow find a way to avoid eating contaminated food, you will be forced to have to deal with its adverse health effects, as long as you need air to breath and water to drink. Ultimately, unless our food production system moves through its present chemical war-modeled phase of GM monoculturing, even non-GM food will end up being contaminated with these chemicals and transgenes, because nothing ‘natural’ lives in a vacuum – and if it does, then it really shouldn’t be called “organic,” and maybe shouldn’t even be called food.

It's hard to go after that post! Wow. I wholeheartedly agree. And if the roundup doesn't get ya, there's alot of other hushhush stuff floating around nowadays too.

Another point is the mutated species' actually crosspollinate and 'infect' the rest in certain plants. Not good.
Monsanto's policy on that is a laughable perversion. So evil.

I searched to quote it, and ran into a little buzz that could be positive, although when virus' are involved, they typically just run their course, until the host(s) die. I think the bt crops are the ones gm'ed from the cauliflower mozaic virus.
http://naturalsociety.com/organic-ready-corn-grown-by-farmer-to-resist-gmo-cross-pollination/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cauliflower_mosaic_virus
http://www.psrast.org/jccamv.htm

On a typical American diet, I weighed 243lbs.
I could run under 1mile before exhaustion.
I had insomnia, high blood pressure, and chronic heartburn that would wake me many times a night.

On a Vegan diet, I now weigh 168lbs, and can easily impromptu run over 20miles at a time without tiring or needing water before finishing. I have 6pack abs, low blood pressure, no heartburn.

More importantly, my mind has never been more clear.

My wife makes me an amazing superfood smoothie each morning loaded with various suppliments. After my smoothie, I only require empty calories, as my nutritional needs to thrive in health are already met.

Oddly though, my taste buds shifted, and now I prefer my foods mostly just as the raw thing with no dressing or anything special needed. A bag of carrots and bag of spinach became a desired and throughly enjoyed meal now, where just a few years ago I would never have imagined eating plain raw vegetables.

Know yourself. With each meal selection you choose if you are someone who pays others to torture, rape and murder innocent beings for a fleeting sensation on your tongue.

Nobody else can have ethics for you.

ATB,
-Luke

I highly suspect that taking the fried carbohydrates and corn syrups out of the diet did more for you Luke, than cutting down the meat. It's the high fat combined with high carbs that creates the really toxic diet. Not defending the way meat is produced, just saying the breads or the soda or the chips was the worst poison in your old diet.

The chronic heartburn is a classic symptom of my secondary problem, fermenting gut. It's a definite chronic fatigue causer, fermenting methanol in your body. The key symptom is the chronic heartburn and or gerd. Methanol will give you one hell of a heartburn, as well as make you blind. Likely you had the typical much milder case of fermenting gut, so merely cutting down on the junk in your diet brought it back in balance. Back in balance, now you digest carbs better than before, like I do now. A junk diet just feeds those wild yeasts that live in your mouth.

Me, I needed some fat from meat to stand the low carbs diet, but tried to get lots of my needed fat from olive oil. But at that time, I was too far gone with the fermenting gut to stand even one serving of rice, or a slice of bread. So I needed a 100% carb free diet, and needed some fat in there, to prevent starving. Now that I'm back in balance, I eat reasonable portions of meat, huge portions of veggies, and keep the carbs cut way down, especially the sugars and high carb processed foods.

I have no doubt of one thing though, getting such a nutritious first meal of the day really helps cut down that craving for junk food later in the day. That works for sure. For me, a spinach omelette packed with other veggies works good.

Back to glyphosphate, for sure there is way too much of it in the air, the water, etc. It's overused, and I hate the idea of breeding crops to stand it to use even more.

In my area there's too much arsenic in my local well water (naturally btw), and the local surface water is full of lead, arsenic, radium etc. They warn don't eat much of the local three eyed fish. Mine pollution leaches into the river, and a really dramatic example of it is playing out in another river in New Mexico at the moment. No doubt you've seen the big spill on the news this week. A failure at a closed mine in Colorado dumped a few million gallons of toxic brew into the Animas river. Plenty of other mines like that drip their poison into the Rio Grande. Then that water grows the chile in your enchiladas. Same for Colorado river water that grows your salad, or the hay that goes into the cow that makes your milk. The Animas flows into the Colorado, btw, so more toxic sludge on the bottom of the lake, and some it all the way into your salad. Nothing new, water from Colorado comes from next to the old mine, and has been that way for a century.

Pretty hard to avoid this in the modern world. The PCB's and PVC's, the herbicides, the insecticides, the mine waste, it's everywhere.

As for my driveway, I do mow the grass and the wildflowers that manage to grow in it, at 4" tall. It's just the goatheads and other thorny weeds I spot treat with roundup. I don't make a silent spring of my yard, it's loaded with wildlife that thrives on the desert wildflowers. Most of the property I hoe the goatheads, but the hard gravel driveway is hard to do mechanically. Since the goatheads come in on every tire, it's never finished weeding in the driveway.

Funny how we get all messed up with this carb thing. I eat a starch based diet. Potatoes and WHOLE GRAINS are the center piece. There is a big difference between whole grains and highly processed carbs. HUGE. There's also a HUGE difference between grass fed beef and conventional. Sadly we get into these conversations and all have very different definitions. All I can do is repeat my results and look at the data.
Whole food, plant based. Return of kidney function to normal parameters, no more cholesterol drugs, reduced BP drugs but stuck on one due to a pacemaker. 80lb weight loss. For me ZERO added fat. Only the fat the is in fruits, vegetables, and grains. The USDA food charts are pure BS perpetrated by the beef and dairy industries. Ornish, Edelsten, Mcdougall and others have lots of data on reversing heart disease. Added oil, meat, and dairy have no use in that reversal.

Total Cholesterol: 147
triglycerides: 67
HDL: 64
LDL: 70

liveforphysics said:
Oddly though, my taste buds shifted, and now I prefer my foods mostly just as the raw thing with no dressing or anything special needed. A bag of carrots and bag of spinach became a desired and throughly enjoyed meal now, where just a few years ago I would never have imagined eating plain raw vegetables.
I had this effect too when I went whole foods kick for a while. It was actually the most noticeable change for me...over weight/energy/sleep.

IIRC, it only took about two weeks until fresh carrots tasted like beautiful candy...and actual shit candy tasted like bricks of straight table sugar.

I don't subscribe to diet fads, but once and a while I do my own bio-assay to see what it's like. I did the whole foods thing years ago after watching 'forks over knives' and 'fat sick and nearly dead'.

I don't use my foods anymore to manipulate my metabolism, I target my ECS to maintain metabolic homeostasis. This allows me to consume and do pretty much whatever the F I want...though I am a high functioning 'stoner' and I wouldn't recommend jumping into full ECS saturation without extensive cannabis experience.

tomjasz said:
Funny how we get all messed up with this carb thing. I eat a starch based diet. Potatoes and WHOLE GRAINS are the center piece. There is a big difference between whole grains and highly processed carbs. HUGE.
I did that and continued on the track to type 2 diabetes as a vegetarian. I followed modern dietary guidelines to a T.. it sucked.

tomjasz said:
Total Cholesterol: 147
triglycerides: 67
HDL: 64
LDL: 70
I'd call that dangerously low... you need cholesterol to build all your hormones and repair tissues.. low cholesterol can actually be really dangerous.

The healthiest, longest living people in the world have much higher cholesterol levels than that.

Exactly as I've been saying Tomjaz, you found the kind of diet that really works for you. Excellent! But it might not work at all for others.

But again, in general, the killer diet is too much fat from meats, combined with more bad fat the carbs are fried in, then wash it down with sugar. What I mean is the double cheeseburger with bacon on it, combined with the corn oil fried potatoes, and the 32 oz soda. It's combining then that's a heart attack on a plate. To eat like that, you need to be burning it off working. This kind of eating is well known to lead to cravings for more.

But what diet you go to instead, depends entirely on your particular health needs. Again, when I was at my worst, it was literally poison for me to eat one slice of whole wheat bread. What my body did to those carbs at that time was literally exactly the same as having a shot of methanol. Not the fun alcohol, ethanol. The poisonous alcohol, methanol. I had a serious hangover every single day for 18 months, till I got the right advice and stopped carbs entirely. When I started the paleo diet, the hangover ended in 24 hours, along with all the heartburn.

Obviously Tomajaz doesn't have fermenting gut, but lots of overweight guys on the cheeseburger diet do develop it. Then only cutting the carbs drastically can help. So it depends on your individual gut bacteria and yeasts whether you can tolerate carbs or not. FWIW, it took me about 2 years to clean out my gut, it's not a cleanse for a week and you are good thing with fermenting gut. It takes a long time to clean out. Every cheat, I got that hangover back. So if you don't ferment them, carbs are ok. If you do, they are poison. Go to your doctor, and likely he never notices you have fermenting gut, and just prescribes you some acid blockers. So then you get worse with every bite of bread, potato, or serving of rice. In fact, the antacids and acid blockers just make the yeast in your gut grow even better. It was reading the advice of a European doctor that saved me. US docs I went to were no help at all.

But like the others said, soon you reset your taste buds. I was amazed how good a baby carrot tasted. Like it was dipped in honey, when I was on a nearly zero carb diet. But now that I'm clear of that yeast, I can eat carbs again with no problems with methanol. But that does not mean I eat pizza, enchiladas, or double cheeseburger daily at all. When I got back on carbs my weight went back up, but only to 190, never been 200 +. But on carbs again, I had to relearn portions. I had gotten used to some enormous salads, but you can't eat the same size bread or potatos.

What 'bad fats' exist in meats? saturated fat is very neutral ( neither inflammatory nor pro-inflammatory ) and very useable by the body as an energy source, and makes up 99% of the fat in meat. Your body is also full of it ( including your brain ).

It would be far healthier to eat a pound of super fatty ground beef than to throw a couple spoons worth of soybean oil-based dressing on a salad, in terms of inflammation.

It's certain vegetable/seed fats that are available in concentrated form ( soybean oil, canola oil, corn oil, cottonseed oil, etc ) which really end up tipping the balance negatively.

Canola oil would have to be the best of these oils, but it is made of a plant that naturally contains a few serious toxins and allergens.. it has to go through this process in order to remove them:

[youtube]omjWmLG0EAs[/youtube]

So, kinda sketchy stuff overall..

Here is a chart of fats: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetable_oil#Composition_of_fats

Highly processed oils.. hydrogenated, transfats, oxidized, etc are health nightmares overall. All mutant creations of the vegetable oil industry.

For my fat needs on a low carb diet, i stick to coconut oil, saturated fat ( meat, cheese, butter ), avocado, and fish oil as much as possible.
As someone with major arthritis of multiple joints, if i disbalance too far into inflammatory fat land, i've got a huge pain problem and then have to resort to NSAIDs ( not good ).

This would go for anyone on any diet, really.

PS dogman.. if you're auto-fermenting, your gut bacteria would have had to be messed up to an extreme.. do you have a history of taking lots of antibiotics, or maybe drinking some questionable homebrewed alcohol? i really wonder how people get their gut bacteria out of line so far.

I myself have a history of nearly deadly sinus infections and had frequent use of the most hardcore antibiotics.. my gut bacteria was out of line for a LONG time. I have became more resilient to warding off these infections over the long course of being on a proper low carb diet with paleo elements, versus the fully organic vegetarian diet that i tried. But i still have nearly constant inflammation of the sinuses.

neptronix said:
I'd call that dangerously low... you need cholesterol to build all your hormones and repair tissues.. low cholesterol can actually be really dangerous.

The healthiest, longest living people in the world have much higher cholesterol levels than that.

Yeah I know it all at your age too. <wink> Those cultures have VERY different life styles. Now you're drifting far away from good science and into a discussion of anecdotes. We'll have to agree to disagree. :D

Actually, i read tons of studies on that, and read a lot about what functions cholesterol has in the human body.
I was very skeptical of low carb diets and researched it for an entire year ( pro and con ) before i decided to embark on it.

If you would like to see some papers, i'll post them up here.

But most of what people know about cholesterol came from Ancel Keys ( circa 1950's ), who completely falsified his 7 countries study, and even though he did that, somehow his research became public policy. Modern research is unfortunately not on your side, and even the USDA is backtracking on their long-standing beliefs about cholesterol, after seeing about a decade worth of papers that contradict their policy.

http://health.gov/dietaryguidelines...015-Dietary-Guidelines-Advisory-Committee.pdf

http://thedailyorbit.com/the-new-di...n-cholesterol-and-saturated-fat-but-thats-ok/

If you want to insinuate that i'm ignorant or listening to bad science, you may want to update your own knowledge first. Clinging to outdated beliefs is not scientific.

tomjasz said:
neptronix said:

Yeah I know it all at your age too. <wink> Those cultures have VERY different life styles. Now you're drifting far away from good science and into a discussion of anecdotes. We'll have to agree to disagree. :D

I don't know much about cholesterol, so I read : http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/08/10/making-sense-of-your-cholesterol-numbers.aspx
My belief still stands that it is not important by itself, and maybe a bs way for big pharma to sell some drugs.

I believe diet is a balance. Nutrients, protein, fiber, fat etc.
I believe this can be attained by eating animal products or not.
I believe the most important thing is the purity and compatibility of the foodsources,
and education for proper choices in food type and quantity, to achieve the proper balance.

We can look to others for examples in health and longevity,
and from those that experience drastic healing.
We can experience the effects ourselves.

There is also much to look at correlating new or elevated physical problems in a culture and 'new' types of food, and new trends (fast food, refined, manufactured, processed).

I don't know about digestion and soy.. the main problem with soy is it's xenoestrogens and omega 6 to omega 3 ratio. It also contains an antinutrient called phytic acid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antinutrient

Antinutrients ( some which are goitrogens ) and are common in the plant world. I did a lot of reading about juicing and the most researched juicing advocates will tell you to mix up your vegetables and not have too many of one or another in order to 'blend out' these ingredients.

Many problems with soy arise when it is unfermented. Xenoestrogens and phytic acid are eaten up by fermentation, yet we in the 'states have still not taken the hint from Asian cultures who eat lots of soy - they ferment it and thus do not suffer the negative effects..

Soy is pretty good as a protein source, but cartinine and carsonine are not present in it.. and i have been of low testosterone all my life, so xenoestrogens are a no no.. i simply do not eat the stuff. I do eat nuts, but the antinutrients in them come in lower proportions, and they have good nutrient profiles otherwise.

I never tried juicing raw veggies because of these antinutrients.. although i still love throwing some wild caught salmon on a giant bed of kale from time to time.

The vid on canola brings the whole industrial process as suspect to me? Perhaps a small scale more organic production would be more beneficial/ less dangerous. Us dairy comes to mind as another example of the same.

Thanks for that on soy, that's what I'd heard, just didn't remember the specifics. Isn't that crazy we don't ferment as they do?

Happened to click this, and I wasn't sure if I'd what dude had to say. Surprisingly there were good points, although somehow this was already what I thought about the 'mediteranean' diet. https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=GfBKauKVi4M

I'm honestly not sure or convinced how a more 'knives over forks' diet would be better. I think of cold areas where it's much more unnatural to find quantity of fresh veg. The eskimos must have had much higher fat to keep warm, and because of available foods. Not sure how long they live(d) but at least they don't freeze to death. That's kinda my take on where a more meat, less fruit/veg/grain works best, but I'm open to ideas.

I don't think there is any overly ethical difference in eating plants or animals, when you do the killing of each yourself. Animals may be more like humans than plants, but everything is alive. When you kill the animals yourself, the respect that can be gained could help americans balance the ethics of what they eat?

It's silly, but the big difference I see is that plants die while you're ingesting them, breaking them down. Unless you cook them, at which point they are dying prematurely.
Animals (if you're a sane human :lol: ) die before you eat them. They almost always should be cooked!

Thanks guys, awesome thread!

Apparently I have fermented my gut some of the time most of my life. This is the deal where the yeast grows in the upper gut, which is supposed to be more or less bacteria and yeast free. A very common, and under diagnosed problem that causes one of the many types of chronic fatigue. I have gum disease, so perhaps that makes more prone to do this.

A very long time ago I did some strong antibiotics for impacted wisdom teeth, but I really think the problem pre dated that. It was not a bad case, just the "normal" get some heartburn if I ate a huge serving of pizza type of thing. Also mild but short lived fatigue from time to time. All very vague symptoms, nothing that would even slow me down much at 30. Even during a fatigue period, back then I'd still go climb a huge mountain to ski down it. This type of chronic fatigue IMO, is best gotten rid of by working harder. Metabolize out the poisons in your blood that much quicker. Burn that bad alcohol out. Ever "worked off" a hangover? Same thing. A full liver has no place to put excess blood alcohol. So empty it.

But that was then, before West Nile Virus gave me encephalitis, and gave me the REAL DEAL, post viral fatigue. Now with my metabolism crippled, a short walk could result in a complete bonk similar to those athletes you see flopping around after an ironman triathlon. Literally, a two mile walk became for me, equal to a triathlon. Then for three days of recovery, anything I would eat could not digest. Many of my organs could not function right until my ATP levels recovered. Food would just lay there in my stomach and gut till it fermented instead of digesting normally. This meant the few yeasts I tend to carry got a huge boost. If you digest abnormally slow, you likely are having some fermenting gut.

So then I had a severe case of chronic fatigue making my previously very mild fermenting gut fatigue 100 times worse. A real death spiral, and at that time I was expecting to live only a few more years, and no doctor was helping me for shit.

:D On the bright side, a very good English doctor has the diet for post viral fatigue figured out. She's the one that touts the paleo on her website, which saved my life. This was for me, for my problems, the only diet that would help me. Again, I'm no longer on pure paleo at all now. If I'm careful, I don't encourage the yeast to bloom. I understand what is going on now, and when to quit the carbs again for a few weeks if I start to feel that hungover feeling.

I don't need the paleo as much now, because some other things I have done sped up my recovery from the post viral fatigue. So I don't do those mega bonks anymore. Now I support my ATP with lots of creatine, so I never dip into my reserves of ADP. As long as I stay in oxidative metabolism, I don't bonk and shut down my pancreas, liver, intestines for three days anymore. Those bonks, they were killing me. Oxidative is using your ATP, converting it to ADP, and then creatine helps your convert it quickly back to ATP. But if you need it, your body will just burn up your ADP, and then it takes three days to make a new supply. Till then, you are barely alive. I forget who now, but somebody on ES suggested the creatine. It really helped! Now if only doctors would learn this! :roll:

At this point, I'm having a better summer than any in the last 4 years, and I can do anything I want normally, provided I don't push myself too hard. I just can't do an 8 hour shift of hard work. But I can do 8 hours of easier stuff, or hard work with lots of long breaks now. I'm still suffering from post viral fatigue, causing low production of ATP, but If I'm careful, I can avoid the bonks completely now. Eventually, less bonking definitely speeds recovery. That's why the not as smart US doctors say the only cure for post viral fatigue is to quit working. That's still step one of recovering, but far from all of it. In Europe, they have a much better handle on this problem.

Re the good fat, bad fat. The way I understand it, the bad fat is when you combine it with too many carbs, often fried in those plant oils you all were talking about. Animal fat and vegetables is not poison. Even combined with carbs it can be fine, like the way I eat most of the time now. Nothing is ever fried in corn oil.

But any fat gets bad when your liver is already stuffed to the gills with sugars, and the fat has no where to go but around and around in your blood. So load your liver with a 32 ounce soda, and then the crappy oil from the French fries floats around till it clogs your heart. That fat has no place to go if you stuff your liver with sugar, or over size "healthy" carbs. Up the carbs enough, you better lower your fats.

If you are working 16 hours a day doing construction, then you never have a full liver, no matter how much soda you slam. It's like doing a triathlon every day. In that situation, your only problem is how to digest 6000 calories a day. Then it could be healthy to drink sugar because your liver is howling for it. It just depends on your activity level. But if you do a desk job, a few sodas can kill you, along with the fat.

Yup, high carbs + high fat are a guaranteed way to become obese and sick.
Ask any woman you know with an ice cream problem.. ( ie my wife )
Or any man who eats high amounts of processed, high GI index carbs coupled with lots of fat ( that was me ).

Fat metabolism kicks in and becomes extremely efficient when blood sugar is low - that's when ketosis begins. If you have too much blood sugar and insulin cannot keep up, blood sugar accumulates and becomes poisonous to the body; then you've got type 2 diabetes symptoms and neither your fat metabolism nor you carbohydrate metabolism will work properly and your body just basically dumps out all the insulin it can to store the carbohydrates as fat. And If you cannot metabolize dietary fat efficiently, fat just circulates and accumulates in the blood and organs.

This is why a low carbohydrate diet only works when you eat 20-50 grams of carbohydrates per day, which keeps you in fat burning mode. Cholesterol often comes into line, fatty liver can even be cured, and your body's ability to burn it's own fat as a fuel source is excellent.

And it also explains why vegan diets are usually low in fat. Every vegan i have talked to says that they feel bad if they eat more than 10-20% fat. I have never heard a scientific explanation for this.
A good vegan diet will also consist of carby foods in whole form, which slows down the absorption of the carbohydrates, making them not so 'spikey' in terms of blood sugar. This is why you don't see vegans with diabetes left and right.

A SAD diet is the worst because it implements all macronutrients at once and includes high impact, fiberless, bufferless forms of fat and carbohydrates. And then, the fats are usually of the inflammatory sort. Most of the carbohydrates produce extreme blood sugar spikes and that tires out the pancreas. It's a recipe for heart disease, diabetes, plaque build up, destroyed levels of hormones ( chloresterol is diverted to repairing continually damaged tissues instead of making hormones ), digestive disorders ( hello high-gluten variants of dwarf wheat ), etc.

How does a paleo diet, mixing even amounts of fat, carbohydrates, and proteins work so well, then? I don't have an explanation for that, other than the fact that WHOLE, unprocessed foods have optimal nutrient absorbency and digestibility. It forgoes high GI carbohydrates for the most part, so fat and carbohydrate metabolism aren't fighting so hard. Weight loss is slower on this diet than vegan and ketogenic diets though.. yet it's also better for building muscle than both.

And dogman, your issues with energy levels are totally interesting.. i think you have done a fantastic job working out that stuff. Autoimmune diseases also have a relation to ATP and mitochondria.. have you ever heard of the wahl's paleo protocol? sufferers of multiple sclerosis and autoimmune disorders seem to have some success with it.... paleo is definetely the right way to go in that instance.

I suspect that low testosterone is my problem. My energy, drive, ability to put on muscle, assertiveness, etc have been low all my life, and i suffered of depression since puberty. The ketogenic diet has not been the magic bullet for me, but it has tuned me up at least 75%.. i will forever stick to it for that reason, and continue looking for more ways to dial things in. I want that last 25%.

Back