friction drive with roller - is this battery/charger okay?

loopernow

1 mW
Hi everyone,

I've been lurking on and off here for about a month...ever since I discovered the existence of friction drives. I've been enamored with the idea of using such a drive ever since, thus the lurking. I wouldn't mind buying a prepackaged system from Europe but some of the systems are too pricey for me and the others have a several-months delay until they ship. So I'd like to try building my own.

I don't come from a technical/electrical/mechanical background but I feel relatively confident that I could build something like the following, which seems relatively simple, with help from the local makerspace: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=71252&hilit=friction+drive+roller. It's basically an outrunner motor mounted slightly to one side of the tire, with a roller attached to the motor shaft to turn the tire. Connected to an ebike controller that's been found by various people on this forum to work well with RC motors, and connected to a lipo battery and a thumb throttle.

I'm glad the poster spells out there what motor, controller and battery he's using. I plan to use the same motor and controller. But I don't want to use lipo batteries. They sound painfully difficult to maintain and I don't have anywhere in my small, garageless house that I would be willing to charge them (e.g. a place I would be willing to have a fire, even a contained one).

So I wanted to know, would this battery and this charger work well with the Turnigy G110 Brushless Outrunner 210v and the S06P 250W Torque Simulation Square Wave Controller? Per http://www.instructables.com/id/The-New-and-Improved-Brushless-Electric-Scooter-Po/?ALLSTEPS#step12 and http://www.etotheipiplusone.net/?p=1991 this lifepo4 battery has a built-in BMS (of sorts?) and seems idiot-proof. Which is exactly what I want, something that I just plug in to charge and forget.

Alternately, does someone have an example of a similar lifepo4 battery and charger that would work with this motor/controller, just as idiot-proof, for about the same $ (~$220 with shipping), but say in a bottle battery form factor or otherwise a slightly more slim profile, that would not require me to construct it to make it work (e.g works out of the box)? This battery's form factor is fine for my current bike but it is a little bit limiting in terms of placement on the bike.

Lastly, the charger's blurb says "Specify SAE connection attached pigtail, or Fasten 250, or Alligator Clips, or Ring Terminals in the comment section when ordering." Does that matter? I imagine from looking at the battery I could choose Alligator Clips. Would that be most convenient? Would one of these options cover the battery terminals so that they're not exposed? I have a small child and, who knows, I could touch the terminals myself whilst charging. I imagine that might cause a shock?

I appreciate any assistance! Hopefully my questions are not too basic. Thank you!

Back