Gearing suggestions for MTB build

Vortex

10 µW
Hey guys, first post.
I have most of my stuff ordered, I want your input on the final bits. Here's what I have coming so far:

MBS colt 90
SK3 6374 192kv x2
Hobbywing ezrun 150a x2
Trackstar Ts3t TX

I already have batteries that I use in my RC helis - 6s 5ah x6, so I'll be going 6s.

From the reading I've done here, 1:5 ratio seems to be pretty common and the calculations I've done say that should get me in the 20mph range. (Please correct me if I'm wrong). I see most guys that build e MTBs use chains. I'm partial to belts, but it's not a big deal if chain has advantages. Thoughts on this? Are belts and pulleys harder to source? I've been looking through the various sites for pulleys / belts / chains / sprockets and it's a little overwhelming. If anyone can post links to the parts they used on a similar build it would be much appreciated.

For brackets right now I'm thinking of using the diyelectricskateboard mounts and modding them. I have little to no fab experience, but I have friends that can weld for me. Is there an easier option?

Any advice, tips, help, links would be great. Thanks for this great resource, I've been staying up way too late the past few nights trying to soak in as much as I can.

The diyelectricskateboard mount may not provide a long enough distance between the center of the pulleys/sprockets. According to the maker of it, the mount provides 65mm to 85mm, although don't go for 85mm because you need room to tighten and provide tension. If you are using pulleys, then use this tool and calculate Center Distance C https://sdp-si.com/eStore/CenterDistanceDesigner

777arc said:
The diyelectricskateboard mount may not provide a long enough distance between the center of the pulleys/sprockets. According to the maker of it, the mount provides 65mm to 85mm, although don't go for 85mm because you need room to tighten and provide tension. If you are using pulleys, then use this tool and calculate Center Distance C https://sdp-si.com/eStore/CenterDistanceDesigner

Yeah 777arc is right. You'll need much longer center distance due to a much bigger drive wheel pulley usually 50T-76T or so. I'd say probably in the 90mm to 120mm range. The mount was specifically made for a longboard and not an MTB build.

Right. I knew that the mounts aren't long enough, I just figured I'd use them as a base since the motor end is correct. I was picturing welding L brackets to the truck end to extend them. The only machining tool I have access to is a very old drill press.

Any leads on pulleys? I found several sources for chain and sprocket, but I'm having a hard time finding the right pulleys that don't need modding. Torqueboards, I believe I saw you link a pulley at vexrobotics that looked great on the wheel side, but their motor pulleys are hex ID.

I'd rather go belt because it's quiet, clean, and simple to swap out, but it seems like chain is going to be the easier option.

Back