General Question about charger

orlbuzz

10 mW
I'll cut to the chase: Can a charger port be connected directly to the battery, or is there electronics in a controller that is necessary for the charging process?
If you need this: Razor ecosmart Metro 36V upgraded to 1000W controller and 800W motor. New controller does not have one small wire for charging that original controller has.

Thanks in advance,
orlbuzz

Depends, batteries dont need anything other then the proper charger.
Does your battery have a bms?

Calab,
the batteries don't have a BMS. They are SLA. Do you have any idea why controllers have charger connections? Why would they both have them, but only the Razor has the small wire direct from battery+ all the way into the controller, but the "1000W 36V YALU 30A Variable Speed Control f Scooter GoKart Brush Electric motor" not have the single thin + wire to have that direct connection?
Curious minds want to know!

Thank you again,
calab

larsb,
the charger came with the scooter, but I'm sure it's nothing special, just a 1.6 ma 36 v charger.
Do you have any idea why controllers have charger connections? Why would they both have them, but only the Razor has the small wire direct from battery+ all the way into the controller, but the "1000W 36V YALU 30A Variable Speed Control f Scooter GoKart Brush Electric motor " not have the single thin + wire to have that direct connection?
Curious minds want to know!

Thanks again,
orlbuzz

For SLA, you can do without a BMS, and connect the charger directly to the batteries. They're less explody and can handle overcharging.

Those and up-front costs are pretty much the only advantages of SLA. Converting to Li-ion would give you more range AND less weight. I've done several conversions, and even old laptop cells are a good step up.

GalFisk,
thanks for the info, but:
I bought this scooter about a month ago and it needed batteries. I considered Lithium, but having just bought it, I didn't know what else it might need. Didn't want to spend the money on lithium until I knew. I am familiar with LIPO batteries as I fly ERC model airplanes and helicopters. I am familiar with battery fires.
I am 77 years old and don't need speed as I will just ride this scooter in the neighborhood. I had my speed on motorcycles and hot rods when I was young.
I live in east Tennessee on a ridge (steep hills), I just need torque.
I have geared it down to 9T x 80T with 15ah batteries, but it still struggles a bit.
I have put a 800W motor and a 1000W controller to increase the power. Those are the bugs I am trying to work out now.
orlbuzz

I found a couple of wiring diagrams that confirm what has been said and what I was thinking, to be honest. I'll see if I can get them uploaded. One of them is generally how to connect the charger connector. The other one is another question I had about using the stock throttle and having the battery indicator work. That's the way I had tried, but I think the lights quit as I was working on everything. The throttle still makes it go!
Thanks to a very responsive membership on this forum!
orlbuzz (Gary)

Attachments

• Charger Wiring on Currie Scooter.jpg
    Charger Wiring on Currie Scooter.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 232
  • SPD-361000B-to-THR-61.png
    SPD-361000B-to-THR-61.png
    238.7 KB · Views: 233
Back